Do I have the right teleflex cable??? please help

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
airjohn81
Southern Airboat Member

Do I have the right teleflex cable??? please help

Post by airjohn81 »

Well a great friend of mine bought a 18' floral city boat a few months ago and the boat is amazing!!!!!! We have noticed that the throw on the steering stick doesn't seem right ... The boat only makes a sharp right turn and a extreamly wide left turn... Even turning to the right doesn't seem right comparedd to all my other friends boats... hell my air john can turn better.. :lol: What I'm asking is what is the proper throw distance in either direction for the rudders??? And is their different throw and pull amounts in the cables??? The actual cable length is perfect for the mounting but not the throw or pull distance... Also it seems like the stick sits to far back in the netural ( straight ) position.... Adjustments have not seemed to work.... And how do you measure for the throw and pull length you need... Im a hudge motor head but do not know shiz about steering systems on the air boats :dontknow: .... Please help... any advise would be much appreciated :thumbleft: thanks, airjohn81(dave)

schmidtav2
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Re: Do I have the right teleflex cable??? please help

Post by schmidtav2 »

The most common throw for the steering cables is 6", however cables are available with a 8" travel. The set up is critical, it depends on how far the pivot point of the steering stick the cable is mounted and how from the pivot point of the rudders the cable is mounted. Its all geometry, something most of us haven't done since high school. I'm sure someone on here can help you with the standard starting measurements for rigging a new cable. But it sounds to me like your going to have to redo the cable set up.

jimmy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmy »

your cable might be fine, but like mr schmit said. ya might havta change your mounting points some.
on your rudder tab where the cable hooks to, are there any extra holes or space to drill another hole to change the throw?
somtimes an inch in or out, or left and right make a big difference.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

if he only bought it a few months ago .. did he buy it from floral city ??? if so get them to fix it ..
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Volcom521
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Volcom521 »

You can measure the travel length on the cable by the support tube. Which is located in between the bulkhead (thread mounts) and the threaded rod end. Support tubes are roughly 1" longer then the travel length Ex: 6" Travel should measure 7" Long. If you still cant figure it out email or Call Mako Hose they will help you out. Website is www.makohose.com if you want more info they are down in west palm beach, Fl.

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net »

If you have a 6 inch travel cable, it is not a teleflex. It is a PTO cable. The attachment point on the rudders for the 6 inch cables cannot be to the tierod or where the tierod hooks to the rudder. It must be 1 to 2 inches rear of where the tierod hooks to the rudder if you want the rudder to move enough to steer the boat.
Tha Teleflex and Uflex cables have 8.5 to 9 inches travel and can be connected to the center of the tierod.
Teleflex and Uflex Marine cables cost more than the PTO cables.
Chuck

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

LOL ... just a lil bit more ... but there is no comparison between the them and the pto cables with 6" of throw .. ask your ladies if an extra 2" of throw means anything LOL
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler »

airjohn81 wrote: The boat only makes a sharp right turn and a extreamly wide left turn... Even turning to the right doesn't seem right comparedd to all my other friends boats...
Mike told me years ago that he sets them up to turn more in one direction then the other depending on prop rotation.. Not my cup of tea but that would explain why..

air-roberts
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by air-roberts »

you need to measure the distance between the pivot point of the rudder to the cable connection point? then the connection point distance to the pivot point of the rudder stick? the rudders should be around 5 to 6 " and the stick about 12"
Air-RobertsImage
experimenting with old step w/t experimental 384.8 c.i. nos 2.68 rotator, 80" three bld ? R
http://www.bcraceengineering.com
Thanks to dave http://waterthunder.com/
New & Used PROPs
WhirlWind prop dealer

Return to “Airboat Tech”