Long belt drive

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
bumper57
Southern Airboat Member

Long belt drive

Post by bumper57 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:17 pm

I have a 14' hull and am still in the parts gathering stages. Question :how much are the long belt reduction drives and are they worth the investment?

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Long belt drive

Post by cntry141iq » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:19 pm

never gonna work on a 14' hull ... they weigh over 700lbs if i remember right ... one guy had one DB built on a 14' .. doubt they will build another. Most builders prefer 16 x 8 as an absolute minimum size .. bigger is better
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:29 pm

cntry141iq wrote:never gonna work on a 14' hull ... they weigh over 700lbs if i remember right ... one guy had one DB built on a 14' .. doubt they will build another. Most builders prefer 16 x 8 as an absolute minimum size .. bigger is better
WHERE U OLD TIMERS GETTING THAT GRN FROM THESE DAYS 700 PDS :lol:
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

techelp3215436655
Southern Airboat Member

Post by techelp3215436655 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:58 am

I had something to do with the long belt many years before it was even thought of David Wine the reason he is in the air boat business he designed a boat called the >whisper fan< it was 18' x 8' powered by a ford at first he let me change what i wanted to they were using an automatic c-4 ford 3-speed transmission car stuff, and because of the 8*degree angle of the engine the transmission just wasn't right I got a marine drive with 8*degree down angle to drive a cog belt up thru-a very large housing w/the power head and gear box and prop shrould which it would turn to steer the boat when I step in I was able to get it to run about 50 mph in 1000' deep water. we had it running good but the exhaust ways run under boat in to the water very rested flow I changed that and marine transmission driving a belt at 8* angle to the gear box mounted up top with prop housing, didn't steer to good with out the help of some smaller articulating rudders in prop wash that helped, the reason I said something is because it was so fart a heed of it's time, I talked to Rob at Century drive unit's about how it was in big water I drove this boat in the channel in the Indian river past a large barge making a wake pulled in front of the wake and turned the boat side ways, no air boat could take that with out sinking. This thing was totally stable not a drop of water, which is the reason he produced his very well built system, and in 16' - 24' boats it is super safe and really preforms best in 18'x8' package if you used an all aluminum water thunder motor 418/550 h.p. the weight would be very much the same as a big block standard air boat, it would be all around better and safer air boat. free tec8668075354

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:42 am

Bottom line is they weigh about 211lbs and cost 7500 bucks before you buy a propeller or an engine. No way i would buy one for a recreational airboat.

Maddog

OTTER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OTTER » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:28 am

I've got the CH-3 long belt with a counter-rotator head on a 14 foot Diamondback, and the performance is AWESOME. However like what others have said they are very costly $$$ and do add weight to the boat. Just the belt alone is between $600 and $900 to replace. They are very easy on maintenance and upkeep.

The only advantage is they lower the center of gravity to the bottom of the boat and with the CR gearbox - eliminate any Torque Roll. I wouldn't even consider one if the motor is smaller than a 454.

All depends on $$$ and what you are going to be doing with your boat.....

:old_glory: :salute: :rebel:

Return to “Airboat Tech”