rigging

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
woodwagon
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

rigging

Post by woodwagon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Im in the process of building the cage and seat stand for a 10ft taylor hull. Ive built a couple and have always made the cage one peice and welded tabs to the motor stand to bolt the cage to to help support it. Then weled the seat stand to the motor stand. Basically so i could remove the cage if needed to get to the motor without having to pull the seat stand out as well. Ive been searching through alot of pics looking at riggings on deckover hulls trying to get some ideas and every one i see has the cage and seat stand built in one piece and is no way attatched to the motor stand. Is there a structual reason for this? The cage and riggings i have built in the past have always been strong and lasted a l9ng time. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
When in doubt, throttle out!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: rigging

Post by Whitebear » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:11 am

Like you I like to be able to remove the cage. When I build I like to bolt the seat package to the motor stand as well. Its strong and works well.

Some like to be able to pull everything at once all in one piece. However, after working on a fleet of boats I think that its faulty logic. The times when we really needed to pull the whole package were small compared to the time we could have done what we were doing would have been easier to pull just a part of the rigging. Would have been a big time saver.

I never saw a structural advantage. If things are so rough you need that slight structural advantage of a welded up rig, you might not need an airboat but maybe a full track.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Seat stand bolts over the bulkhead struts over the stringers, tab straddles the engine stand rails for the best strength, the front goes to the stringers if it is still a 1/2 deck.
I never finish anyth,,,.

techelp3215436655
Southern Airboat Member

Post by techelp3215436655 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:07 pm

You should not bolt the prop gaurd solid to stand they need to move or twist I would use stainless 'U' clamps so the round tubing can move twist or etch call me at free tec8668075354 airboatdave@gmail.com

Return to “Airboat Tech”