ELECTROAIR INGNITION

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Re: ELECTROAIR INGNITION

Post by todd glover » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:42 pm

You will get more acturate timing with mags it will fluxuwait +- 2 degrees and a hotter spark I put external coils on my mags for hotter spark another way would be putting 2 magnets in the fly wheel and an msd crank tigger use your points off 1 mag to tigger and 2 msd 6a boxes just a thought

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Ruagatr wrote:From our standpoint yes for these reasons. First, no maintenance on the ignition basically forever. Second, the ignition is hotter than hell and fully adjustable. On our boat, it is making a palpable difference. You can feel it and hear the difference and the idle quality is superb. Throttle response is awesome...I have a spare module (275.00) ready to plug in if it fails. So for our needs, it is excellent.

Charles
I believe for performance issues the system is better. I think if anyone buys it and thinks it is maintenance free are fooling themselves. I personally had the computer box go bad, and at a later date one of the coil packs. I know of two other people that had boxes fail. they are bad about grounding issues and the crank trigger sensor tend to vibrate loose. With that being said appearantly there are alot of people that have them and havent had any problems, its not like anyone has ever had a problem with a mag right? lol

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by aherr520 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:50 pm

HAMMERHEAD wrote:
Ruagatr wrote:From our standpoint yes for these reasons. First, no maintenance on the ignition basically forever. Second, the ignition is hotter than hell and fully adjustable. On our boat, it is making a palpable difference. You can feel it and hear the difference and the idle quality is superb. Throttle response is awesome...I have a spare module (275.00) ready to plug in if it fails. So for our needs, it is excellent.

Charles
I believe for performance issues the system is better. I think if anyone buys it and thinks it is maintenance free are fooling themselves. I personally had the computer box go bad, and at a later date one of the coil packs. I know of two other people that had boxes fail. they are bad about grounding issues and the crank trigger sensor tend to vibrate loose. With that being said appearantly there are alot of people that have them and havent had any problems, its not like anyone has ever had a problem with a mag right? lol
I have electromotive and have only the TPS go bad it was only $35.00. It has about 225 hours so I don't think thats bad my engine starts with a quick turn of the key every time and seems to be alot better on fuel then my freinds boat with the same motor
aaof member

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Well your system is running fuel and spark. Ours only runs spark for the Lycoming. We let the Continental injection manage the fuel.

Maddog

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:45 pm

I BELIEVE THERE WERE TWO BOATS PULLED IN FROM THE HALFWAY CLEAN UP THIS WEEKEND THAT WOULD NOT FIRE WITH THESE IGNITION SYSTEMS. ALL IM SAYING IS DONT BUY THE SYSTEM WITH THE IMPRESSION THAT THEY DONT GIVE ANY PROBLEMS.

SAWGRASS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SAWGRASS » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:40 pm

I am a dealer of electroair in fellsmere.
Have installed a lot of them .
Even on FWC boats witch i service .
Have never had a problem with system ( not counting human mistakes)
I allso hade one on my 0540 .
Think you would like it.

B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:55 pm

HAMMERHEAD wrote:I BELIEVE THERE WERE TWO BOATS PULLED IN FROM THE HALFWAY CLEAN UP THIS WEEKEND THAT WOULD NOT FIRE WITH THESE IGNITION SYSTEMS. ALL IM SAYING IS DONT BUY THE SYSTEM WITH THE IMPRESSION THAT THEY DONT GIVE ANY PROBLEMS.
To be fair,,,I think we figured out that our problem is a small batttery and no alt,,,,,before we give up on it,,I think I talke Flying High into keeping it and figure it out. I do know that the motor runs smoother and feels a little more responsive with it...
Devil in the Bottle 83 ProMod
Marsh Master Step
Carbon Fiber Rudders by:HAMMERHEAD AVIATION.com
Prop is NOTHING BUT A WHIRLWIND!!!
RAZORX

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 am

Ya--thats why we run two Predator 900cca batteries w isolators amd a two position switch. And a good ground is essential!

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:37 am

I'm gonna try it on my GSO 480 maybe gonna call Abner today I think the crank trigger might be a problem on a stock geared motor.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Striker543 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Ruagatr wrote:Ya--thats why we run two Predator 900cca batteries w isolators amd a two position switch. And a good ground is essential!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you guys ran Odyssey batteries?

LIL Maddog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by LIL Maddog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Striker543 wrote:
Ruagatr wrote:Ya--thats why we run two Predator 900cca batteries w isolators amd a two position switch. And a good ground is essential!
Yes they are Odyssey's, don't know where my dad got predator from :scratch:
Little George Palm Beach "kit hull". IO-540 with a 1.73:1 Stinger gearbox swinging an 81" 3 blade NGR. Real quiet.
Proud Member of USFTH!

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 pm

farmboy wrote:I'm gonna try it on my GSO 480 maybe gonna call Abner today I think the crank trigger might be a problem on a stock geared motor.
SOMEONE MAKES A KIT TO TRIGGER OFF OF YOUR MAG GEAR IT WONT WORK ON A GEARED MOTOR ON THE FLYWHEEL.

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Striker543 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:00 pm

LIL Maddog wrote:
Striker543 wrote:
Yes they are Odyssey's, don't know where my dad got predator from :scratch:

My dad does the same thing from time to time... :wink:

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 pm

lol,,brainfart....ODYSSEY it is...i was thinking about friday night at the ROUNDUP.....lolol

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Ok what rpm did anyone really gain hotter spark I get the only other thing is the timing won't fluctuate +- 2 degrees just wondering if it's worth all the $$ and time don't misunderstand me I'm all for max hp just wondering

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Ok what rpm did anyone really gain hotter spark I get the only other thing is the timing won't fluctuate +- 2 degrees just wondering if it's worth all the $$ and time don't misunderstand me I'm all for max hp just wondering

cont520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

ELECTROAIR INGNITION

Post by cont520 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:51 pm

todd glover wrote:Ok what rpm did anyone really gain hotter spark I get the only other thing is the timing won't fluctuate +- 2 degrees just wondering if it's worth all the $$ and time don't misunderstand me I'm all for max hp just wondering
x2
Robert Mccormick
Plant City Florida, Toxic calls Pro staff and proud member of usfth
Ultimate Shot Productions prostaffer

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Ruagatr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:45 pm

The spark is hotter, in my opinion, at every rpm due to the dedicated coils and the fact that they do not get saturated. But the real impressive gains come from adding timing which a magneto cannot do...much less vary the timing across the load range.

Charles

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Hotter spark is easy just remove your internal coils and add external coils I did and added 50k volt coils as far as timing goes lycoming make the most power at 20 degrees they run 25 only with 7.5 or 8.7 to 1 comp any factory motor with higher comp is set At 20 I'm not picking a fight I like to see for myself I do like my external coils good luck with whatever you run

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by pirate » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Hotter spark is easy just remove your internal coils and add external coils
Not sure just how that is done but would like to know.
Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TIGO541 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Todd on the average ive seen the gain of 50rpm at WOT with the Electromotive. Ive heard as much as 100prm gain but i think the best part of the Electromotive is like Maddog said. The timing curve you can put in your engine and for the racers is the retard for nitrous with a switch or MAP. I can run as much as 35deg initial till 3k rpm and my MAP retards the timing under WOT at 15lbs boost back to 25deg to keep detonation at bay with a supercharged engine! Ive even ran as much as 28deg at WOT with no issues and gain 200rpm but i havent put an EGT on it to see how safe that is. The throttle response down low and driveability significantly increases when you can use a MAP to retard the timing when vacuum drops under load. Fuel economy is gained also with MAP. Ive seen as much as 1gph gain with a timing curve (25initial,10deg advance) over a fixed 25deg with no MAP.
13-6x7-6 Hamant Ultra-lite,Custom TIG Stainless rigging,1.7 Rotator,Supercharged 480,Electronic Ignition,80 inch 3BLD R,B&S trailer

cont520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

ELECTROAIR INGNITION

Post by cont520 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Damn y'all are doing a good job of convincing me to try it
Robert Mccormick
Plant City Florida, Toxic calls Pro staff and proud member of usfth
Ultimate Shot Productions prostaffer

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm

I run 20 deg my motor runs cool but it's a lycoming I hear people say 25 but my motor likes 20 and I have external coils 50k volts

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 pm

todd glover wrote:I run 20 deg my motor runs cool but it's a lycoming I hear people say 25 but my motor likes 20 and I have external coils 50k volts
don davis told u 2 do that :lol: :cheers: :old_glory:
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Sa very own brain surgeon James if you want a real boat not some ground up fishing poles I'll give you don # I've missed you posting stupid answer glad your back

Return to “Airboat Tech”