Funnel trick,,,

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Funnel trick,,,

Post by Cowboy Rock »

I read on here about using the funnel or bag covering the end of your steering cable to lubricate it,,,

I tried it it and it worked like a charm,,, I have been out of the country for about a month and when I

went to move my rudders tonight, there was a REAL hard spot at the beginning of the throw to the

right,,, So I did what I read on here, about lubing the cable,,, I could not find any transmission fluid

anywhere, I have nephews that love to BORROW stuff from Unk,,, lol,,, So what I used was WD-40,,, I

sprayed about a quarter can into the funnel, then waited a few minutes and started moving my rudders

by hand,,, I am guessing that in less than 50 throws, side to side, I had WD-40 starting to drip out of

the cable and it slicked right up,,, I finally could move the rudders side to side with one finger, rough

spot is gone now,,, I will get some good thin oil tomorrow and do it again, but WD-40 sure worked

good tonight,,,
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

Frog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Funnel trick,,,

Post by Frog »

Follow up with the oil for sure! The WD-40 is a degreaser and the cable will start to rust pretty fast without getting some oil back in there.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

Yup.
People can say what they want, but gravity feeding some oil down through there from a funnel reservoir will do the trick.
I have had Old Timer suggest using liquid teflon, as they think it stick around longer than oil, or WD40

That's what i will try next time I drip oil through a steering cable jacket.

bsiehler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bsiehler »

I always used marvel mystery oil with good results

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

When this cable freezes up I'm going to put me a dogleg and be done. Doesn't get any smoother.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

shakyrick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by shakyrick »

new boat has dog leg but old boat was sticky and I had afriend drill a hole on both ends and put grease fittings on both ends hit with the grease gun every once and a while and it was like new

Nozzle Head

Post by Nozzle Head »

yobee wrote:When this cable freezes up I'm going to put me a dogleg and be done. Doesn't get any smoother.

Can't blame you there. I ignored a slowly stiffening cable until it finally just let lose inside on a tight turn.

I am pro dog leg on everything now and its so dam easy to customize for whatever throw i want.

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick »

got bellcrank on mine love it super smooth but you better tie to one side when in a crowed some dont watch where there air is going when they take off it dont take much to mess up rudders

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by Cowboy Rock »

I went into the city today and picked up the Marvel Oil can at Orielly's, read the label and pt it down,,,

I almost got it, but I have never used any of it, so I just bought ATF,,, I will try the Marvel or the

Teflon next time,,, I filled the funnel up just at dark and I will check it again before I sack out for the

night,,, It sure is slick as a button now tho,,, Thanks SA for the tip,,,

:drunken: :rebel: :old_glory:
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

AntiqueFarmEquipment
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AntiqueFarmEquipment »

Kroil Oil...hands down beats PB Blaster and WD40 all over the place plus it penetrates and lubricates!
12'6 x 7'6" Diamondback PE-150/520 Conversion
AFE

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 »

I push antifreeze through mine. I use a 2 ft 3/4 id hose w/ a air fitting on it and fill the hose then put the air to it. Up here in Mich a little moisture stops everything when it freezes. The antifreeze lubes too.
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

SWAMPCRACKER85
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SWAMPCRACKER85 »

Could also use White Lithium grease that stuff is slicker than cat snot on a door knob :lol:
10'6x7 cut down Ricochet, 0-300 Clunkinental 68x34 Sensenich kevlar tip narrow

THE NIGHT RIDER
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by THE NIGHT RIDER »

im with swamper on this deal , i use a peice of water hose over one end and hoseclamp it on and pour oil in hose and hang that end up and let gravity feed it thru ,next day its all lubed up .it works well for me ,jmo
!!! IM THE REAL NIGHT RIDER B!TCH !!! !!! AND A PROUD TO BE IN THE DIAMONDBACK FAMILY !!!!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

The WD in WD-40 stands for 'water displacer' ...... the 40 is for formula #40. It's great stuff for cleaning but it was never intended to be a primary lubricant. After WD-40, you still need to get some good oil or grease into the cable housing.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Return to “Airboat Tech”