Ground Wire Burning Up

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Ground Wire Burning Up

Post by gso480jr »

You replaced starter and battery, you used a seperate ground from battery to starter, you exchanged positive lead to starter. You also eliminated the original wire harness, right? If so, then I would suspect the hard cranking motor to be caused by an internal problem.
Last edited by gso480jr on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Ground Wire Burning Up

Post by Comanche-pup »

John Fenner wrote:Yould be surprised at how fast cables and wiring degrades while under water and the battery is still hooked up. Go get some new welding cable and terminals to replace all of the cables, you may want to go ahead and replace all switches as well as wiring, due to the rapid electrolysis that occurs in these situations. I personally would do a simple hot wire job to get the engine running and to temperature ASAP.
x2 x2 x2 if water has salt you can watch it corrode and evaporate

Cutler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cutler »

I think I would hook a jumper cable(regular jumper cables) from the large post on the starter to the battery and see what happens, but be ready to disconnect it if or when it starts

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

John Fenner wrote:Battery cables have high resistance and won't deliver the amperage needed and need to replace them.
Im using jumper cables connected to my truck

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Ground Wire Burning Up

Post by Comanche-pup »

Plugs out less load=less current
Plugs in more load= more current
Battery jumper cables do not have the best connection for high loads, bet those cables are getting pretty hot also. A 8 wire for a battery that has the capability of 800 to 1000 amps is way too small, I'm surprised you didn't burn it when you first started with this problem.
I'm still in agreement with fenner, replace your cables make sure you got good connections, still have same problem then I would go internal of motor with bent rod or something

dups350
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dups350 »

Make sure your ground is the same size as your power wire. Also run your ground from your battery to your stand and then from your stand to your motor. Make your ground as short as possible. It is very important to make sure your connections are clean. It your wires are longer than 3 feet I would recommend going bigger than 4 gauge. You can never go to big but you can have too small of wire. And again make sure it's the same size and you go from battery to stand and from stand to motor.
Just bring it!!

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TheElevatorGuy »

Replace everything on that boat that has anything to do with the starting circuit....buy a brand new starter with a warranty.....install brand new cables (HOT AND GROUND)the way they were rigged before you sunk.....and all terminals....I'm betting the starter is rusting up inside and doesn't want to turn.....I replace motors all the time that get wet and moisture and electric motors don't mix......I had a buggy that I would carry 3 spare starters with it because if I hit a hole that was too deep and the starter went under that was it......had to change it to start again......need less to say I got very good at rebuilding that type of starter........I'm willing to bet that will solve your issue.....dont skimp and cheap out because nothings worse than breaking down on the water!!!!!!!!!

cuban cracker
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by cuban cracker »

Before you go and buy anything pull all the plugs hot wire like you have been doing and if it still turns a 1/4" at a time well u then have bigger problems. Good luck.
I took the RED PILL and am staying in wonderland to see how deep the rabbit hole goes!

And boy is it deep!

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

dups350 wrote:Make sure your ground is the same size as your power wire. Also run your ground from your battery to your stand and then from your stand to your motor. Make your ground as short as possible. It is very important to make sure your connections are clean. It your wires are longer than 3 feet I would recommend going bigger than 4 gauge. You can never go to big but you can have too small of wire. And again make sure it's the same size and you go from battery to stand and from stand to motor.
I would suggest ground to block then ground to stand, path of least resistance.
I never finish anyth,,,.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

If it was hopefully shut down before it sank the internals should be fine.
Booster cables won't do the trick, you need at least #2 welding cable, I prefer #1. Soldering the lugs as well, some prefer crimping but solder adheres to each strand if done properly.
I never finish anyth,,,.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

I just want to give a great thanks to all of those that replied with help. I can't tell everyone how valuable a source southern airboat is. People like me literally couldn't own an airboat if it wasn't for this site and I am very appreciative for everyone on here. Changed all of my wiring out tonight to 2 AWG wire and all new connectors and she has risen again. Ran her for about 30 mins tonight. Ran white smoke for about the first five and then smooth as ever before after that. Always wondered why it seemed like it took everything she had to start before but was running 8 AWG for everything. Wasnt drawing near enough amps to turn starter like its supposed too. Once again just want to say thank you to everyone that helped with my issue.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

I just want to give a great thanks to all of those that replied with help. I can't tell everyone how valuable a source southern airboat is. People like me literally couldn't own an airboat if it wasn't for this site and I am very appreciative for everyone on here. Changed all of my wiring out tonight to 2 AWG wire and all new connectors and she has risen again. Ran her for about 30 mins tonight. Ran white smoke for about the first five and then smooth as ever before after that. Always wondered why it seemed like it took everything she had to start before but was running 8 AWG for everything. Wasnt drawing near enough amps to turn starter like its supposed too. Once again just want to say thank you to everyone that helped with my issue.

Alpal
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Alpal »

Just bought a new battery box with internal cables (about a foot long) that lead from the batt terminals to the (through the case) outside connecters. Connected an old batt but it would not turn the Subaru engine over. Blamed the old batt and the high compression of the hotted up motor so tried another batt. Still no joy so bought a new $150 600 crank batt but that did not turn it over either. Problem, Made in China batt box with junky internal cables. They were getting real hot. Built myself some better cables and now the starter spins her over nicely. Just goes to show!!!!
Aussie Allan
Ps. Get my Aluminium folded tomorrow.

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by R L Williams »

Yep, Tractor supply has a good selection of #2 battery cables.
:proud:
:florida:
"GRASS SCOOTER"
Member of the over the hill gang.
United Sportsmen Airboaters Alliance.
NRA life member.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

It takes less current to turn it over with plugs in it. Try using a good set of jumper cables and go from your negative side of your battery to your engine block. If that doesn't work hook up the positive to the starter.
If any of this works you need to do what John said and replace cables.

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Ground Wire Burning Up

Post by Comanche-pup »

Gary S wrote:It takes less current to turn it over with plugs in it. Try using a good set of jumper cables and go from your negative side of your battery to your engine block. If that doesn't work hook up the positive to the starter.
If any of this works you need to do what John said and replace cables.
you a little late bud

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

Alright guys, continuing this thread bc now I'm having issues with the motor stumbling at hard throttle. I can ease into the throttle and get it up on plane but motor still feels like it's missing 50% power when up on plane. I checked all plugs to make sure they weren't arcing and going to hook up a vacuum gauge in just a min to check air/fuel. Any other ideas of what I can check? Another question I have is on my choke should it be all the way forward(blades open) or back(blades closed)? Sorry for the dumb questions I know this is all basic stuff but bear with me I'm learning as I go. Thanks

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

After it's warmed up the blades should be open.

Full closed is choke ON (COLD), Full open is choke off (warmed).

If your choke is still engaged at all (not fully opened) after it is warmed up that is likely the cause of your stumble.

If it is warm and the blades are not fully open, it will make it run rich, even to the point of flooding itself out.

Deano
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Need to know what engine/carburetor. if it has a Holley I can guarantee that the check valve needle under the squirter is corroded shut from the water. Not a big deal, can walk you through this as well.
I never finish anyth,,,.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

Its a chevy 350 w Holley 600 on it.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

Deano wrote:After it's warmed up the blades should be open.

Full closed is choke ON (COLD), Full open is choke off (warmed).

If your choke is still engaged at all (not fully opened) after it is warmed up that is likely the cause of your stumble.

If it is warm and the blades are not fully open, it will make it run rich, even to the point of flooding itself out.

Deano

So the way my choke works is I can either click the choke forward(toward the front of the boat) and it opens the blades up or backward(toward the back of the boat) where it closes it. Motor will only start if blades are open. From your description sounds like this is ok then.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

Also think my prop is out of wack now too from hitting the water. feeling a lot of vibration at idle and clunking as I spin the prop up.

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 »

khvann40 wrote:Also think my prop is out of wack now too from hitting the water. feeling a lot of vibration at idle and clunking as I spin the prop up.
DON"T RUN it till you get it checked. You can hurt yourself or someone else. Damage your boat and/or sink it. Props are not a place to take chances. Send it back to the manufacturer.
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

Thats what I planned on doing

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

If it is stumbling off idle, with engine off look down primaries and work the throttle, if no gas squirts out the nozzles here lies your problem.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Return to “Airboat Tech”