Question about Alumabrite (cleaning my deck)

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Question about Alumabrite (cleaning my deck)

Post by Seven3 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 pm

The decks on my 80's Thurman were pretty nasty looking so I picked up a few bottles of Aurora Alumabrite. I've read online that all you have to do with the Alumabrite is spray a diluted mixture on, and wash off. My decks were so dirty that this would only happen with a 50/50 water to Alumabrite mixure (higher ratio than they recommend). So I diluted it a little more and used a nylon scrub brush (similar to a green kitchen scrubber) and they cleaned up nicely. Then I started to polish the aluminum with a buffer.

My question is am I damaging the aluminum by using the scrub brush with the Alumabrite? I do see slight scuff marks in the aluminum after using the scrubber, but this deck is over 20 years old and has scratches already, so I'm not too worried about a mirror finish here. Plus once I hit the aluminum with the buffer the scuffs go away. Just wondering if anyone had experience using this product this way. Thanks.

The panel on the right has not been cleaned yet. You can see where I started polishing on the upper left hand corner of the left panel.
Attachments
DSCN3618.JPG
DSCN3618.JPG (137.9 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
DSCN3621.JPG
DSCN3621.JPG (152.48 KiB) Viewed 3385 times

Daniel Altman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Question about Alumabrite (cleaning my deck)

Post by Daniel Altman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Purple polish :thumbleft:
10' Thurman copy, O-320, WW Cypress, BRAB 51 & RRAA 15

"You can't tourniquet the taint!" Archer

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Daniel Altman wrote:Purple polish :thumbleft:
I found the thread on here about that stuff during my search...sounds like that stuff is the real deal. But I already have the Alumabrite in hand, so I wanted to give it an honest chance first.

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by skinny99 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Just remember that is is an acid. It cleans by removing a very slight amount of material. If you used it long and often enough it would remove "some" aluminum.
It would take a long time to do it. The scratches are prob from the grit that is coming loose being pushed around by the brush.
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

Jake.R
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jake.R » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:52 pm

Thanks for posting! I've been wanting to use some type of acid on the inside of my boat to brighten it back up and wasnt sure what to use. I can polish the outside fine with a buffer but the inside is looking pretty dull and wanted to just spray some stuff in there then rinse it with my hot water pressure washer! The local place that washes our big trucks uses this aluminum acid on the wheels that are aluminum but arent polishable anymore and the stuff works GREAT but they want $30 a gallon for it and i really didnt want to pay that much so i was looking for an alternative
14x8 Alumitec SS Rigging
383 Stroker CH-4 2.67
81" 3 Blade S

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:58 pm

skinny99 wrote:Just remember that is is an acid. It cleans by removing a very slight amount of material. If you used it long and often enough it would remove "some" aluminum.
It would take a long time to do it. The scratches are prob from the grit that is coming loose being pushed around by the brush.
That's about what I figured. I'm not letting the cleaner sit on longer than they recommend, I'm just using it in conjunction with the brush. I don't plan on making it a habit to clean it with the Alumabrite. Im just trying to get the years of dirt and exposure off that it had before I got it. After i knock all of this build-up off, it will see regular maintenance and polishing.

Elite custom boats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Elite custom boats » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:01 pm

this is bobby w/ elite custom boats in north texas...
all our new boats are washed w/ the alumabrite acid wash after the build...
it does work great,usually 2 or 3 coats...just mix it w/ water and appy it w/ a pump sprayer
and let it foam up... but if u leave it on to long it will burn ( blacken ) the aluminum...
if we are going to polish out a new boat then we do not acid wash...
hope this helps...
if you need anything or have questions just give us a call..
elite.boats@yahoo.com
903-271-8431

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Seven3 wrote:
I found the thread on here about that stuff during my search...sounds like that stuff is the real deal. But I already have the Alumabrite in hand, so I wanted to give it an honest chance first.
I have some purple polish here at the house. It's no better than anything else. Go to your local polish shop at the truck stop along the interstate and get what they use.

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Tony480 wrote:
Seven3 wrote:
I have some purple polish here at the house. It's no better than anything else. Go to your local polish shop at the truck stop along the interstate and get what they use.
ewwww THESE BOYS GONNA BE ON U NOW TONY !! :lol: YA I THOUGHT THE SAME
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

BigJakesrq
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BigJakesrq » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Looks to me like it did a good job. If you want a mirror shine you better bust out the buffer and get ready for a lot of work..... I found there is no real secret to polishing just long hard tedious work!

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Elite custom boats wrote:this is bobby w/ elite custom boats in north texas...
all our new boats are washed w/ the alumabrite acid wash after the build...
it does work great,usually 2 or 3 coats...just mix it w/ water and appy it w/ a pump sprayer
and let it foam up... but if u leave it on to long it will burn ( blacken ) the aluminum...
if we are going to polish out a new boat then we do not acid wash...
hope this helps...
if you need anything or have questions just give us a call..
elite.boats@yahoo.com
903-271-8431

I missed this topic until now. Who is Bobby w/Elite Custom Boats? Bobby who?
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

Cowley
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Cowley » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Hello Fish,

Hope you're staying warm. See the Classifieds, 20k+, Elite Airboats has a boat for sale and a phone number.

Cowley
18x8 Alumitech / 8.1l Levitator / Century 2.3:1 / 82" Sensenich 4 blade R

Platte River Jake
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Platte River Jake » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:10 am

Seven3 wrote:
PM me your address and I will send you some samples to try and see for yourself.
100% NO BS guarantee if you dont like it once you bought it send it back for a refund. NO questions asked! :salute:
http://www.purplepolish.org
info@purplepolish.org
402-562-0929
MK Company/Purple Metal Polish
1338 Road D
Schuyler, NE 68661

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Cowley wrote:Hello Fish,

Hope you're staying warm. See the Classifieds, 20k+, Elite Airboats has a boat for sale and a phone number.

Cowley
Hey Britt
Plenty cold where I live. Elite Boat in the classifieds looks nice. The breaks in the side look familiar.

Bobby from Pottsboro, Texas??
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

Platte River Jake
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Platte River Jake » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 am

Head on over to GTO Airboats or give Keith a call. He can hook you up with the Purple and Deozidizer. He should have some samples left also.
http://www.purplepolish.org
info@purplepolish.org
402-562-0929
MK Company/Purple Metal Polish
1338 Road D
Schuyler, NE 68661

Mike Thurman
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Mike Thurman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 pm

You need to give me a call so I can tell you all the little secrets. That aluminum is 2024-t3 Alcald coated. They do not like acid and further more polishing them will ruin them and they will always look water spotted or discolored.. Whatever works for the guys with the 5052 welded hulls will not be the same for yours. I can tell you how to make them look almost like new. This project has both my fathers and my attention and we look forward to seeing her look like it did when we built it. I want to help you in anyway possible with this . I Think your doing a good thing here by appreciating her and restoring it. Glad to know that 32 years later you still think we did it right the first time.
Airboat Headquarters Inc.
Sensenich Propeller Dealer
Bud Marquis Supporter

Onearmgary
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Onearmgary » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:33 am

I used it to clean my 14' Airgator and it worked awesome. The boat had been sitting uncovered outside under pine trees for the entire summer while I had the engine rebuilt. When I pulled it into the shop to start work on it it was filthy. It took a couple passes with the alumabrite but she shined right up. remove everything even the gear oilspots from the rotator! Best product I ever used on it.

Return to “Airboat Tech”