Thurman Build Thread

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Thurman Build Thread

Post by TheElevatorGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 pm

The guy I was refering too, Blast It Off, was doing the sandblasting for Barney at IPC as of 2 years ago and I was just looking online and it looks like IPC is now doing his own blasting!

bman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by bman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:05 pm

Barney at IPC (954) 537-2558 is getting his equipment setup, he is still using Jan at Blast-it off for now. Jan (954) 270-5606 It is the only place I would get my powder sprayed, Good people :thumbleft:

Frog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Frog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:09 pm

fl cracker wrote:
jimmyflfr wrote:I wouldn't waste your $$ on that gator glide. I used it and it is slick for about a month but is is very thin and if your run grass it dulls quick. Just use steel flex then 2000 over it like Thurman said. I just have a bad taste for the gator glide
:oops:

For God sakes fl buttcracker, grow a set and say something...I sell alot more when you do
GatorGlide! " Don't get stuck without it!"
http://www.gatorglide.com/

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Frog , I doubt that :lol: but like I said last time I don't give hoot what anybody runs anymore. I try and show support and be Loyal to folks that have done me right and others in the past. I told u before that I was done messing with ya about your slick bottom , let it end on a good note! Because your an Airboater I still have love for ya :salute:
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm

I called Blast It Off behind IPC, his price was better so that's who I'll use. The hull is going to the painter next weekend.
Attachments
DSCN3635(2).JPG
DSCN3635(2).JPG (177.56 KiB) Viewed 2509 times

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:29 pm

I've had to adjust my plans a little. I can't get the bare aluminum deck to look as nice as I expected. It's coming out OK, but not as good as I demand. So I'm going to paint it. I'm thinking about painting the hull, deck, and rake a dark burgundy (leaving the aluminum angle where the hull and deck meet bare) and the rigging will be powder coated bright silver. Then I want to have silver colored Line-X sprayed on the contact areas where you walk on the deck. Anyone have experience with how well the Line-X will hold up on the deck? I'm wondering if the slight deck "pop" in some areas will cause it to crack over time.

Here's my idea for the deck. The outer area would be the dark burgundy, and the inner area would be silver Line-X :
Attachments
deck idea(2).jpg
deck idea(2).jpg (62.44 KiB) Viewed 2432 times

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:43 am

"Line X" or non-skid silver to match cage. I like you idea, think it will look sharp.
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:47 am

I don't know about line-X but when I painted mine I used a non skid product from awl grip. It is an additive that goes in the paint and shoots thru the gun. You paint boat then mask off area that you don't want non skid on then mix up paint add non skid and paint. It wears good and makes deck non skid in any color you want in any design you want.

bman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by bman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm

The awl grip product is called Griptex, you lay down a base layer of paint when that is wet take a salt shaker and dust over the area, let it dry blow off the loose grit and shoot a finish coat over that.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:17 pm

I've used regular base coat, lay down a wet coat, with a sand blaster pepper the area, then coat over that with another wet coat of base color. I did this to my pop's boat 20 years ago and the stuff is still on the front deck.
I never finish anyth,,,.

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TheElevatorGuy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:31 pm

I used to have a bare aluminum deck, it was nice looking but very high maintenance, then when I would launch the boat and step on the deck with sand on your shoes it would scratch the deck up and I had a battery "pop" and the acid got on the deck and etched it really bad, and the worst part was how slippery it was.........so after all of that I took some sand paper and a DA sander and sanded it all down, then masked off the engine stand and feet for the rigging where it meets the deck and painted it with a one gallon can of Rustoleum.......I bought the paint at Home Depot for like 25 bucks and had them open the can in the store and pour out a few ounces and poured in some sand made by Bayer, then had them mix it up in the shaker........came home and rolled it on and brushed it on around the areas that had to be cut in................its now been a year and holding up fine............I use my boat just about every weekend, I really like the low maint factor and nobody has slipped on the deck since either!!!!!!!
Very easy to do and very economical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Raptor liner!! It's what I have on the deck of my boat and floor boards. Diamondback uses it for all there non skid. You just need to add some more non skid compound to it before you spray it. Either shark grip or pettit non skid additive.

Mike Thurman
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Mike Thurman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:04 am

000 extra fine steelwool and real soapy water with long even strokes WITH THE GRAIN OF THE ALUMINUM is the best method to make old decks look new. Side to side on front & rear decks, front to rear on side decks. And as far as when you paint it,don't paint the side rails or any of the angles. I just stripped a hull that had the side rails painted and used stripper to remove the paint and scotch brite and soapy water around the whole boat. They look like new. It was alot of work, but looks great.
Airboat Headquarters Inc.
Sensenich Propeller Dealer
Bud Marquis Supporter

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Down to bare aluminum and ready for paint and steelflex. I was very happy with what I found under the old paint, the bottom was just about perfect. I turned it back over upright, filled with water, and had no leaks. The original owner definitely used this boat lightly.

The hull sides, transom, rake sides, and rudders are getting shot with Awlgrip primer and Awlgrip 'Claret' this weekend. Monday to Tuesday next week the bottom is getting a coat of steelflex 9X, then a coat of steelflex 2000. Next weekend the deck and inside of the rake are being shot with Awlgrip 'Bright Aluminum.' For the guys with painted decks, did you sand or scuff the bare aluminum prior to paint...or will the Awlgrip primer bond properly to the deck with just an acetone cleaning?
Attachments
ready for paint(2).jpg
ready for paint(2).jpg (109.12 KiB) Viewed 2014 times

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:19 am

Mike, how common was it for you guys to build a 12' hull with a 6'8" width like my boat? Every 12 foot Thurman Ive been able to find online is either 7' or 7'4" wide...I haven't seen another 12x6'8" other than mine. I assume my boat's original owner had you guys build it as a 6'8" so that it would fit down the narrower trails? Or maybe to keep the weight down knowing it was going to be powered by a 4 cylinder?

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:00 am

A lot of boats are 6'8 or 6'10, it is just easier for people to say 7. My thurman, don davis, and war daddy were all 6'8.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:35 am

6'8" hulls are the most common whether it is 11' or 12' in length, it keeps the bend shop from getting confused. The oddballs likemine which was a defunked order from a peckerhead that had to have a 7'4"x11' by Mr. Lauderdales design style, it takes a discussion with the bender.
That hull looks beautiful! Dont overload it with Steelflex,,,,, mask it for the pretty paint, then reverse mask for the Steelflex 2000. And roll on!
I never finish anyth,,,.

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:53 am

^ lol
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

SwampNinja
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SwampNinja » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:12 pm

John Fenner wrote:6'8" hulls are the most common whether it is 11' or 12' in length, it keeps the bend shop from getting confused. The oddballs likemine which was a defunked order from a peckerhead that had to have a 7'4"x11' by Mr. Lauderdales design style, it takes a discussion with the bender.
That hull looks beautiful! Dont overload it with Steelflex,,,,, mask it for the pretty paint, then reverse mask for the Steelflex 2000. And roll on!

He speaks the truth.
"It is what it is."

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Three coats of Awlgrip primer, then three coats of Awlgrip Claret topcoat. It should be a pretty tough paint job. I'm steelflexing later this week. I'm going to bring the steelflex up about 1.25 inch on the sides to match the width of the aluminum angle on the top side.

John, I'm going to have about an inch or two over lap of the red paint to where I want to bring the steelflex up to. Can I just rough that red up with some 80 grit, or do I have to knock it all the way down to aluminum?
Attachments
DSCN3647(2).JPG
DSCN3647(2).JPG (132.92 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
DSCN3652(2).JPG
DSCN3652(2).JPG (171.85 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
DSCN3654(2).JPG
DSCN3654(2).JPG (168.55 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

Mike Thurman
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Mike Thurman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:00 am

We built alot of boats 6'8" because that would give you an 8" side height. The metal is 12d'art so that gives you 8' ... A 7' bottom gives you an 8" side . A 6'10" bottom gives a 7" side and a 6'8" bottom gives an 8" side. They just float and look better.
Airboat Headquarters Inc.
Sensenich Propeller Dealer
Bud Marquis Supporter

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:19 am

I personally like the 3 pc bottoms Thurman made.(extra strip in middle)..talk about gettin up on a plane quick.
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:03 am

I rebuilt the trailer. I completely disassembled it, then new paint, bunks, tires, lights, and winch. I drilled out the rivets on the step plates, then coated them with metallic textured silver paint, and riveted them back on. For about $175 I got it to look like a brand new $1,500 trailer.
Attachments
DSCN3660(2).JPG
DSCN3660(2).JPG (186.77 KiB) Viewed 1494 times

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Missed a spot.....looks nice, you did a good job.
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

SwampNinja
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SwampNinja » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Good job brother!!! Its reminding me of my build.
"It is what it is."

Return to “Airboat Tech”