Educate me on jack plates

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Educate me on jack plates

Post by farmboy »

Oleboy87 wrote:Thanks man! I just tried mine with out it for awhile, I think I'm going to put it back on though.
I wouldn't even want my boat if I had to take my jacks out. Lol! :lol:
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

IGETBENT
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by IGETBENT »

Didn't think I needed one, but it really made a difference.
Attachments
DSC005361.jpg
DSC005361.jpg (140.69 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

IGETBENT wrote:Didn't think I needed one, but it really made a difference.
That's the way a set of jacks should be made :thumbleft: even tho I shouldn't complain mine made a hell of a difference.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

jopete wrote:
JAMES wrote:I NEVER LIKE JACKS UNTIL I OWNED A BOAT WITH 8 FT WIDE BOTTOM THIS IS A JACK AND IT WORKS 2 ACROSS AND 1 ON 3 STRINGERS IN FRONT REALLY ONLY NEED THEM BETWEEN ENGINE I BUILT MINE FOR BRACING ! AND TO KEEP THAT BOTTOM RIGHT

that is exactly what i want JAMES, did you make them yourself or is there a place that makes them? i plan on putting some on my boat in a couple months.
YEA MAN THEIR EASY TO MAKE MINE ARE ALL SS WITH ALL SS HARDWARE IF YOU BOUGHT THESE THEY RUN ABOUT 200.00 EACH MAYBE MORE IF THEIR REAL PROUD OF THEIR WORK !! :D I CAN BUILD THESE FOR 1/4 OF THE PRICE BUT DOM IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOU GOING TO PAINT THEM JMO DONT USE CONDUIT FOR JACKS .. DOM,SQUARE OR SS GOOD LUCK MAN AND IF I CAN HELP LET ME NO !
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche »

Ive always wondered about these little buggers. I've never seen them upclose or really even know what they did. Great information here! Thanks for sharing, and especially with the pictures!!
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

kajunoutlaw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by kajunoutlaw »

GeeLeDouche wrote:Ive always wondered about these little buggers. I've never seen them upclose or really even know what they did. Great information here! Thanks for sharing, and especially with the pictures!!
That is the first time I have seen that style. Very clean set up. I had turn buckles in mine attached to the bottom of the engine stand. 3 also. But that set up is better.
Great minds discuss ideas, Average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler »

Here is a few different styles but they all do the same thing..

This one came from Alumitec..

These I made a while back..

This one came from Diamondback and is my favorite..

I myself have used the 1/2" belly rule in Alumitec, JB, GTO and Diamondback hulls and it works very well. I guess you could fine tune it from there but I've never seen the need.. I take a strait edge and lay it across so it lands on the 2 outside stringers, then run the center jack bolt down until you have 1/2" of space between the strait edge and the T bar. Once you have the 1/2" in the center then run the other jack bolts down until they are snug so they take up the slop that running the center bolt down created.. As far as placement I like 1 around 14" from the transom and 1 about 54" from the transom.

Alpal
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Alpal »

Good info,... Good photo's...Thanks. Could it be a good idea to have the middle runner on your trailer also adjusted to suit the belly shape????? Otherwise you might bounce along on a high spot.

boatair
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by boatair »

You don't need a middle runner, they are only needed below the outer stringers.

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche »

Question... I see the L brackets that press down on the stringers have holes in them. Are you suppostu bolt these into the stringers? Also, one other question.. doesnt moving the center stringer down a 1/2 inch put extra stress on the welds on that stringer?? just curious. Thanks.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

GeeLeDouche wrote:Question... I see the L brackets that press down on the stringers have holes in them. Are you suppostu bolt these into the stringers? Also, one other question.. doesnt moving the center stringer down a 1/2 inch put extra stress on the welds on that stringer?? just curious. Thanks.
theirs no law on boltsing them jmo i DID NOT DO MINE but it makes it easie to adjust so they dont spin that JMO,

id never push 1/2 down thats alot and u got problems jmo yes it will put stress jacks do period .. when u start cranking em down
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler »

GeeLeDouche wrote:Question... I see the L brackets that press down on the stringers have holes in them. Are you suppostu bolt these into the stringers? Also, one other question.. doesnt moving the center stringer down a 1/2 inch put extra stress on the welds on that stringer?? just curious. Thanks.
You don't have to bolt them but I do.. You would be surprised as to quick you get a 1/2" of belly when running the jacks down. Most every hull I've seen already has a belly to begin with and all your doing is holding that or giving it a touch more.. I myself have only put them in 8 or 10 boats but in those I didn't see that we added any substantial stress to the stringers..
JAMES wrote: id never push 1/2 down thats alot and u got problems jmo
To each their own but I learned the 1/2" belly rule from Bobby at Diamondback.. After all the boats he's built, I figured it was good advice to follow and IMO works great!

stoner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stoner »

14x8 Griffin Aluminum, SBC, Precision 2:1, 80"RazorX turbo.
Sarasota Fla.

gary
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gary »

Return to “Airboat Tech”