Water Walker’s NEW Congo Cargo Airboat

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Water Walker’s NEW Congo Cargo Airboat

Post by Andrew McD »

Well, I'm stuck here in the shop today while the Davids play with the boat... :banghead: Figured since I had a little break at lunch that I'd upload a few teasers of the boat during a some testing and tuning. I'm hoping I'll be able to pull out early enough to see her hit the water this afternoon. Dont forget to get all of the lunch sacks out of the hull before running it this time guys!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still waiting on the video of it running dry to upload but I'll share it once it does.
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Andrew, the video properties are private so (at least some of) us peons can not view it. :?

Wonderful to hear of the progress . . . . but seeing it would be better. :)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Andrew McD »

oops! Give'r a try now
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

caddy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by caddy »

Very cool! Cant wait to see it run. :thumbleft:

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Andrew McD »

A quick little video if it running dry.
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat »

:thumbleft:

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

looking good! congrats. forgive me but, when I last saw that engine, I never thought it would move that big monster set up. thanks for the video. harold

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net »

What Prop Blades are those and what is the diameter.
Thanks, Chuck

WaterWalker
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by WaterWalker »

chuckitt@earthlink.net wrote:What Prop Blades are those and what is the diameter.
Thanks, Chuck
Saturday April 11, 2015
Lake Wales, Florida

Chuck:

Direct answers first; the blades (six of them) are cast short Falcon models. The diameters of the discs using short three blade hubs with the short blades are 60 inches each. There was a big discussion as to whether to use short Falcons, Power Plus or Signature Blades. Plum and Andrew wanted wider blades so we settled on the Falcon model. After first runs on dry ground and now on water, it looks like the Signature series would have been the better choice. Perhaps we can get a new set of short Signatures soon for later tests. The reason is that the engine (a SBC ZZ 383, in fact the actual one from the original Concept Boat.) is topping out against the pitch load at just 4000 RPM +/- due to the thick airfoil and wide tip areas of the six blades.

The belt ratio is 1.6 /1 so at the current 4000 RPM we were seeing just 2500 RPM on these short blades. The system is designed for 3200 propeller RPM with the engine at about 5200 RPM. There is a dedicated new propeller design of my newest designs ‘in the can’ for the Dual Sync Waterline Drive that we have dubbed ‘The Talon’ blade. It has the proper pitch distribution, tip thinness and over all width to create a minimum of drag at 3200 RPM. (So far, it has not been worth the added costs of a dual set of new molds, left and right, until the rest of the boat features have been proven.) A sixty inch disc diameter at 3200 RPM yields 571 miles per hour of tip speed. For comparison a 78 inch Falcon disc at 2500 RPM yields 580 MPH tip speed.

Crateengines.com shows an HP & torque graph for the newest (450 HP @5200 RPM) ZZ-383. At 4000 RPM that engine would be developing bout 325 HP. Using our several year old ZZ-383 (originally 425 HP @ 5200 RPM) we are likely only developing about 300 HP. So currently at 3800 RPM and less moving on dry sand and grass ground we are moving this large work boat with only about 300 or less HP using the Dual Sync Drive.

Yesterday, after some tweaking in the morning, Plum and I set out looking for some water. We went east out Road 60 from Lake Wales and got some 93 octane gas at the Sunoco Station but they didn’t sell diesel for the dually. So we continued on out to the Citgo station just west of River Ranch. We decided then to go for ‘Thomas Landing’ on the west side of Lake Kissimmee and put in at their ramp. The boat floated OK (see picture). Note how heavy Plum is as he weighs down the dock while holding onto the boat. He encouraged me to go along as safety pilot and I weigh as much or more than he does. We estimate this large utility airboat (8.5‘wide X 20’ long with full ½ inch polymer bottom) with us, weighed gross at about 2800 lbs. or nearly one and a half tons. Plum with his great courage would be the ‘Test Pilot’.

We shoved off and idled out from the dock and headed north along the weeds and shoreline. The boat came up on plane easily and we held a steady planning speed that Plum estimated about 30 to 35 MPH. The engine tachometer showed 2300 to 2400 RPM at this steady cruise range. Props were (1.6:1) at about 1500 RPM. Plum commented that these were “aircraft type numbers”. Yes the noise was such that we could talk to each other with no ear muffs. The Transom was laying out flat with the airflow from the props and we were cruising along.

Plum saw an airboat trail running toward the shoreline and took it, slowing a bit as the water thinned out and soon we were on a nearly dry trail along the receded shoreline with some wet areas here and there. Our wide boat was running the dry edges of the trail and Plum kept her going with RPMs up to about 3500 for a quarter mile or so until we found an opening to lake water again. As we found open water, I told Plum that “we are getting a long way from the truck” so he turned back towards the dock. Running along the outer edges of the grass and reeds he began to throttle up for a speed check. I was looking at the tach which was beginning to pass 3800 RPM when the un-mistakable loud band and sound of metal going through the props happened. Plum later guessed we were going about 45 MPH.

With his ‘nerves of steel’, Plum reduced the throttle to a steady planning speed and headed back to the dock about half a mile away. We cruised on in and as he came to the dock open water area he throttled down carefully watching behind him as the variable geometry Transom rose to the up position with the boat settling into displacement of the water. It worked as it was designed to do.

Shut down alongside the dock, we found that two of the propeller blades leading edges had sustained major strikes and some damage. We discussed running some more anyway to get some pictures but decided against doing so until we determined what had gone through the port side prop. I backed the trailer into the water at the ramp and Plum drove the boat up onto it. I hooked up the winch and with a little help from Plum and the engine nosed the boat on up to the stop and secured it. Plum stayed in the seat as I pulled on up the ramp to level ground. As he rode up the ramp he saw laying by his left ‘go ahead’, the piece that had hit the prop and had it in his hand as I got out of the truck to help secure the boat.

It was a piece of the top support bracket that holds the radiator in place. There are two such brackets and this one had only been ‘lightly tack welded’ and not finished welded as the units were built. We then looked and the other one was also only tack welded, but a little more firmly. Our decision to not run some more for pictures was a good one. We may have lost the radiator through both props if we had. It’s an easy fix on the boat and repair or re-casting of two blades to have us in the water again.

First impressions are that we are so far pleased with the numbers and will be continuing the testing program as time permits.

David Wine
Water Walker Props, Inc.
Working to make airboating better

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 »

excellent report Mr. Wine. A successful venture for sure. congratulations
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

Any videos coming that demonstrate the effectiveness of the transom in water?

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

Good read Mr. Wine.
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Andrew McD »

Below is the pic David was referencing. Sits nice in the water. I cant wait to see it with a load.
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Andrew McD »

As promised, below is a video of the boat running deep water and the ridge. We'll share more soon!
Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by John C »

very impressive for an airboat of that size to perform like that with that motor. Congrats, looks like your on to something with your new design. Keep up the good work.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Excellent :!: That is very impressive, indeed. :thumbleft: Keep up the good work !

Maybe I'll have to try and fabricate a reason to come see you guys and check it out.
Actually, I have a couple blades that need looked at, maybe I'll just skip emailing pics and bring 'em. :)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

Nice work...
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Andrew McD »

Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

LOL! Show me the troops and clutch action. If your going to transport my son into action for military overseas this better be more than a pipe dream of a congo capable airboat!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

John C wrote:very impressive for an airboat of that size to perform like that with that motor. Congrats, looks like your on to something with your new design. Keep up the good work.
John, I'm posting this with the knowledge that both Plum and Mr. Wine will read it. Those
two are so far ahead of the curve in their thinking that it's starting to get something like,
"Well, what in the Hell are you two gonna come up with next'"! :shock:

Seriously, those two guys are so interesting to be around that it makes for a thoroughly
enjoyable day. The next time you can find a window in your schedule to drive up to their
shop in Lake Wales, let me know and I'll meet you over there. It'll be real good to see
you again, and I'll buy lunch this time.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Blackwater, I'd best leave that answer to the gentleman who designed it, but as I understand the
concept it's to put the thrust of the engine and props as close to the waterline as possible.
That gives you maximum push.

An engine/prop sitting up high is steadily trying to shove the nose of the boat over (down),
so straight-line efficiency is lost.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Using some of what I learned about Gyros years back when there were real wars going on about lines of thrust, as I understand it the closer you can get the center line of Thrust to the center line of drag the more docile the handling should be and the easier to remedy any other idiosyncrasies becomes. The platform simply becomes more stable in operational configurations.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy »

blackwaterairboats wrote:Can I ask what is the main purpose of building this boat? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ just curious what the advantages of it is.
To have a large utilitarian airboat be able to haul large payload for long distance in a more efficient way less hp means less fuel and all the systems incorporated is this boat do this ..we have tested some of these concepts with the last boat and they worked very well, the twin interleaved props and the drop tramsom allow a very large prop disk area in a low and standard wide airboat. The center of thrust on this boat is 3 ft off the bottom of hull this has never been done we decided to use a moderate hp package and a large boat to proof these systems will give at least 30 percent more efficiency and from what I've seen driving this boat we have achieved this.. We are early in field trials and I know we can improve the boat even further ....the boat will hold four loaded pilots inside the hull...it is a work boat not unlike anything you might see in the oil fields in the bayou....

Andrew McD
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Andrew McD »

Below is a short video Swampy took of the boat climbing the ridge and doing a full, foot off throttle stop in deep water from a cruise. The variable transom worked perfectly!

Water Walker Props, Inc.
(863) 676-PROP

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Looks mighty good to me Plum. I see nothing to be concerned about. Y'all are deep into unexplored territory but seem to have a good grasp of whats needed to progress. Cudos to yas ! :idea:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Return to “Airboat Tech”