AIR BOAT BOTTOM

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
rcm243
Southern Airboat Member

AIR BOAT BOTTOM

Post by rcm243 »

Does the bottom of an airboat need to have a slight curve from chine to chine to give it stability and also from front to rear? Or does it need to be perfectly flat? rcm
Politicians are like whores,as long as the money`s available they`re there for you.
gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

Re: AIR BOAT BOTTOM

Post by gyrocopter582 »

Arguably flat front to back,
with rounded edges to a chine.
It complicates from there.
Study popular hulls.
"Amaze your friends, annoy your neighbors"
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

DEPENDS ON HOW THE HULL RIDES ...NO HULL IS INTENDED TO HAVE A CURVE/BELLY/HUMP WHAT EVER U WANNA CALL IT UNLESS IT NEEDS IT THATS WHY THEIR BUILT FLAT YOU CAN ADJUST HOW YOU LIKE IT ..JMO
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator
boobidges
Southern Airboat Member

Post by boobidges »

The "pad" under the engine needs to be flat and rigid.
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

JAMES wrote:DEPENDS ON HOW THE HULL RIDES ...NO HULL IS INTENDED TO HAVE A CURVE/BELLY/HUMP WHAT EVER U WANNA CALL IT UNLESS IT NEEDS IT THATS WHY THEIR BUILT FLAT YOU CAN ADJUST HOW YOU LIKE IT ..JMO

James,

If my memory is correct? Hartline tried a pitched hull in the mold? I never cared for their lack of stringer to transom idea but I honestly have never ridden a hartline either! Hartline guys would be the experts on this to see how their poly or slick is wearing? I think they said one or two degrees pitch which might be no center poly and brand new poly on the outer sides?
fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

My Alumitech was built with a 1/4" ridge that runs from the center of the transom about 5' forward. I think it faster than standard aluminum hull with a flat bottom IMO slickbottom is wearing good on that which I did not think it would.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2011 Al David / AV 540

Return to “Airboat Tech”