New Wardaddy boat hopping bad.

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
jimmyflfr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmyflfr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Looking for some insight here and lets not make this a boat builder bash because it isn't. It is a new never used 13' 7.5' Wardaddy deep sided hull. I made all rigging with strong DD caddy 500. All testing has been done in deep water down here in glages about 2'-4' of water. I started with engine down in the back and the 20 gallon tank half full under engine. The boat jumps on plane and cruised at 25mph with spray about 3 ft from transom. anything over 25mph and boat hops so bad you cant even ride. So took it to builder and we checked bottom and found a slight bubble about mid way up hull. Bent bulkhead up and fixed that. Now bottom looks great. Took it out and same thing. adjusted engine in back up and down and moved tank up front, no different still hopping bad. Put two big coolers up front full of drinks and a bit better but after 25mph hops still. Today we put in an extra t bar bulkhead midway up hull because I noticed the hull flexing while riding.I also have the motor a bit lower in rear and gas tank is moved up a bit. It does slightly better but after about 30mph it starts hoppng badly. Engine is about 4-5" from transom. Im stumped now. Some say put trim tab on it but that isn't what I want. If I wanted a porpousing boat w trim tab I would have kept my beat up combee hull. Maby a jack in the rear to pull up or down?? thanks ill try and post some pics up.
Attachments
photo (5) (600x800) (480x640).jpg
photo (5) (600x800) (480x640).jpg (191.57 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
photo (3) (800x600) (640x480).jpg
photo (3) (800x600) (640x480).jpg (197.11 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
photo (2) (800x600) (640x480).jpg
photo (2) (800x600) (640x480).jpg (212.73 KiB) Viewed 3500 times

jimmyflfr
Southern Airboat Member

Re: New Wardaddy boat hopping bad.

Post by jimmyflfr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:08 pm

one more picture
Attachments
photo (600x800) (480x640).jpg
photo (600x800) (480x640).jpg (189.33 KiB) Viewed 3498 times

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:20 pm

PM sent!
I never finish anyth,,,.

sidejobs
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sidejobs » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Good lookin boat ! Put a trim tab on it. The caddy is heavy and not easy to balance that out in the front. I've never had a caddy that didn't porpoise. I have a 6" adaptor and mine hops like a frog without the tab. If your happy with the way it handles and performs other than the porpoising than just put a tab on and ride !

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Trim tabs are a bandaid approach, weight and balance have not one thing to do with a hull cavitating, nor does engine pitch it is how the bottom is set.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:45 pm

I don't know how feasible it would be, but I would try moving the rigging forward and then start over near level. I realize that you likely don't want more holes than necessary in a new hull, but like you, I much prefer to not run a trim tab. Dick Hoffman always used to mount the Caddy's well forward of the beer can rule to help offset the weight difference. While my hull is completely different than what you are working with, I have moved mine up and back and it runs the best with my prop nearly ten inches forward of the transom (no long adapter though). At this position, motor trim adjustments make the expected differences, and the motor is trimmed just above level in the back. Maybe yours is simply be a$$ heavy?
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

jimmyflfr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmyflfr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Yea I definately can't move rigging forward and trim tab is last resort

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Deano wrote:I don't know how feasible it would be, but I would try moving the rigging forward and then start over near level. I realize that you likely don't want more holes than necessary in a new hull, but like you, I much prefer to not run a trim tab. Dick Hoffman always used to mount the Caddy's well forward of the beer can rule to help offset the weight difference. While my hull is completely different than what you are working with, I have moved mine up and back and it runs the best with my prop nearly ten inches forward of the transom (no long adapter though). At this position, motor trim adjustments make the expected differences, and the motor is trimmed just above level in the back. Maybe yours is simply be a$$ heavy?

movin ur rig way forward is the same thing as a tab its puttin the boat more on its nose if the hulls right u can put all the weight in the back and itll ride flat
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Just a hunch , probably needs a couple more stringers and a hull jack or two ..... just sayin !

Bubba
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bubba » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Move the weight back, put the motor level with the bottom or a little up and let the hull do what it was built to do. If it hops then you have a hull issue. From the pics and what you have said the set up is wrong imo.
FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER

gbstrike
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gbstrike » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Jim obviously Im no expert but have been around many boats in my life. I have been on ocean boats, go fast boats, airboats and john boats. Its very rare to find a balanced boat. I know 99.9% of the guys boats on here are balanced well, just ask them. Most boats use some sort of trim tab to balance them out in deep water. I've captained 300k ocean boats and they needed tabs, they actually come with them. How does it run in the skinny? Don't be afraid of a tab. Who really cares. Its a solution to a problem just like a jack, stringer, angle of the motor or H.P. Its an adjustable repair. If you load the boat in a different way on a trip with gear or friends you can adjust it with a bump of the switch. The boat is big and powerful. Its really not the set up like your old little boat (160). You can keep trying but you may get aggravated at it then not like the boat, have fun, and remember, old guys rule even if they don't have an airboat! (anymore)
If you're not hurtin, you're not havin fun.

jimmyflfr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmyflfr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:24 pm

Bubba wrote:Move the weight back, put the motor level with the bottom or a little up and let the hull do what it was built to do. If it hops then you have a hull issue. From the pics and what you have said the set up is wrong imo.

I agree it is a hull problem. If it isn't set up right from what I have posted and the pictures , what would you do different? I'm looking for some input. Thabks.

jimmyflfr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmyflfr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 pm

I have tried every way, engine down up tank back foreword. Nothing makes much of a difference.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Gimme a call PM sent.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Bubba
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bubba » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:26 pm

jimmyflfr wrote:I have tried every way, engine down up tank back foreword. Nothing makes much of a difference.
I would move the riggin back as far as possible, and put the tank under the motor. If it still bounced I would work on the bottom. You should probably try whatever Wardaddy says first lol..
FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER

Bubba
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bubba » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:28 pm

gbstrike wrote:Jim obviously Im no expert but have been around many boats in my life. I have been on ocean boats, go fast boats, airboats and john boats. Its very rare to find a balanced boat. I know 99.9% of the guys boats on here are balanced well, just ask them. Most boats use some sort of trim tab to balance them out in deep water. I've captained 300k ocean boats and they needed tabs, they actually come with them. How does it run in the skinny? Don't be afraid of a tab. Who really cares. Its a solution to a problem just like a jack, stringer, angle of the motor or H.P. Its an adjustable repair. If you load the boat in a different way on a trip with gear or friends you can adjust it with a bump of the switch. The boat is big and powerful. Its really not the set up like your old little boat (160). You can keep trying but you may get aggravated at it then not like the boat, have fun, and remember, old guys rule even if they don't have an airboat! (anymore)
You dont want an airboat balanced!! Its not a ocean boat, its a airboat. Imo every boat you mentioned takes a different set up.
FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:31 pm

good luck ...... let us know when you sell it

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Bubba wrote:
gbstrike wrote:Jim obviously Im no expert but have been around many boats in my life. I have been on ocean boats, go fast boats, airboats and john boats. Its very rare to find a balanced boat. I know 99.9% of the guys boats on here are balanced well, just ask them. Most boats use some sort of trim tab to balance them out in deep water. I've captained 300k ocean boats and they needed tabs, they actually come with them. How does it run in the skinny? Don't be afraid of a tab. Who really cares. Its a solution to a problem just like a jack, stringer, angle of the motor or H.P. Its an adjustable repair. If you load the boat in a different way on a trip with gear or friends you can adjust it with a bump of the switch. The boat is big and powerful. Its really not the set up like your old little boat (160). You can keep trying but you may get aggravated at it then not like the boat, have fun, and remember, old guys rule even if they don't have an airboat! (anymore)
You dont want an airboat balanced!! Its not a ocean boat, its a airboat. Imo every boat you mentioned takes a different set up.
x2

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:31 pm

I have a 507 cad on a 12 ft charlie jones hull with deep sides, my motor is about 48 in from bottom of hull and my rigging from motor stand goes all the way to the front of the hull, the tank is directly under the engine which is level with the bottom, I think it is in your rigging JMO I have never had a trim tab on mine direct drive or with the gear box I have on it now and it runs smooth as my ole ladies bottom :)

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 pm

just another insight with the rigging all the way to the front from the engine stand it pushes on the nose when I get on the throttle, maybe that's the difference?????

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 pm

1st your mistake for not checking the bottom b4 assemble 2nd call war daddy talk with him 3rd you may need to move rig forward and go with a 6" prop adapter 4th caddies are heavy but weight no more then a sbc with gearbox i see no issue their 5th you should have or use jacks war daddy builds a think bottom hull.6th your boat looks great good luck

i do not look at a trim tab as a band aid but if your boats set up proper which could drive anyone crazy it wont need one all the time some boats just porpous nature of the build or mold combee for one at least its free in the water remember putting alot more weight on the nose will help with the hope but may kill performance else where ive learned caddies or heavy dd motors are best set up front driver far forward as possible helps shift engine weight backwards counter bal. weight
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

jimmyflfr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jimmyflfr » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks guys for all the info this is what u wanted and what a good forum is for. Everyone has opinions. I'm not perfect and neither is anyone else so I will get it right. I know every boat won't ride 100% in deep water or shallow water. Can't move the rigging forward because rigging wont allow but ill take suggestions and fix this issue. I think a jack in rear will fix it but we will see. Gonna take it to skinnier water tommorow night and see how she does. Radio works good and the flux compacitor is dialed in good so that's a positive haha

B-White
Southern Airboat Member

Post by B-White » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 pm

I don't know jack shiz about an aluminum hull but,,,, on glass hull look at the last 2" of the hull's bottom.....if it has any round edges, it will buck like a mule....I personally would take it to the hull builder and see what he can do with it....then who ever rigged it....jmo
Devil in the Bottle 83 ProMod
Marsh Master Step
Carbon Fiber Rudders by:HAMMERHEAD AVIATION.com
Prop is NOTHING BUT A WHIRLWIND!!!
RAZORX

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm going through the same thing with my new hull. Motor was 3/4" low In the Rear and rode great. Water would spray out the back of hull about 40 mph and it did not feel like it was riding on its nose in the water or ground
I raised the motor about 3/8" and now the bitch will buck you out of the seat. I want to get the motor about 1/4 bubble low in the rear for max performance but I refuse to put a trim tab on it. Should I go back down with the motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by fl cracker on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 pm

It looks to me like you could use a hull jack about in the middle of your front and back legs of your motor stand, looks like a good spot for a lot of flexing. Nice boat and riveted, the only way to go. :rebel:

Return to “Airboat Tech”