Hull Question

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Hull Question

Post by digginfool »

How much difference does one foot make, ride-wise, on a hull? I currently have a 15x8 DB and it's been suggested by several people that part of the issues I've had with the boat is that it's just too much weight for the length. Looking at my boat, it seems that it would be simple enough to unbolt everything from the hull and bolt it to a new hull and, voila! New boat! The rigging and seating arrangement on my boat is one of its most redeeming qualities and it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a little more deck space. So, two questions; is it worth it to just swap hulls and who wants to buy a used 15x8 DB hull if I do it? :wink:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Hull Question

Post by goldhunter_2 »

realistically the materials used for one foot of hull don't add up to very much weight at all , if your issue is weight look at everything else. an larger hull carry's the heavier weight because it provides more lift but is much less playful then say a smaller 11' hull

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

goldhunter_2 wrote:realistically the materials used for one foot of hull don't add up to very much weight at all , if your issue is weight look at everything else. an larger hull carry's the heavier weight because it provides more lift but is much less playful then say a smaller 11' hull
Granted, the extra foot is only about 40 pounds. But, the primary use of my boat is a ride boat. We do fish but don't frog and there are five of us, so going to an 11' hull isn't an option. Currently, I have seating for seven and almost all the seats are filled everytime I go out so that's why I'm contemplating a longer hull. That's where the weight issue is coming in the most. Yes, I do have one heavy ass motor but I've already studied the economics of changing that out. Going to an LS7 would save me near 300 lbs and add at least 100 HP to what I have now but at the cost of $20-25,000.00. An alternate would be to build the 8.1 I've got, buy a longer hull that will carry the weight better and have money left over to do other improvements.

I think the biggest problem I have right now is too much time on my hands. :lol: I need to use some of this effort on fixing the problem at hand instead of trying to create bigger ones. But, while I'm waiting for some information I'm looking for, I can't help but think of alternatives to what I have now.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

It depends on where the foot is also. If the foot is another foot of running bottom it wll help carry the weight, if the foot is just out on the nose it won't change much. My point is you have to get the hull that works for you and it may not be the hull for you just because it measures 1 foot longer.
C1gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by C1gator »

What gear ratio and prop do you have? Money wise I could think of a few options for you if you have the right combo
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

This might help a little in understanding why an extra foot may help.

To make matters worse, that's an 8.1 hanging on the back, which itself weighs just over 750 lbs, not counting prop or gearbox.
Last edited by digginfool on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

What year is that hull? With all that weight of the extra seat and people on the nose im sure an extra foot will help along with the new style bottom they put on their boats now.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

It's a 2003 hull.
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

A new one will be a huge improvement
bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector »

I would get a 16x8 alumitech and be done with it. But that's just me, I noticed you hardly see any post that say hull or handling problems with alumitech hulls.
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

Ive never had that style of boat, but that hull does look pretty "full" to me. Im no engineer, but I would assume displacing all of that weight over a larger area (bigger hull) would be better. Especially if you always run with 7 people...if you average 150 pounds each person (assuming a mixture of adults and kids) thats 1050 pounds in people alone.
Wacahoota
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wacahoota »

I'd give diamondback a call and see what they can do for you.
Jake.R
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jake.R »

Wacahoota wrote:I'd give diamondback a call and see what they can do for you.
X2
14x8 Alumitec SS Rigging
383 Stroker CH-4 2.67
81" 3 Blade S
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

14x8 will be fine but then again if u load it down id keep it 15ft hammant makes a nice 15ft
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator
hooker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hooker »

truth 2 be known with ur boat setup the way it is u need 2'more than what u have :bblue:
Wacahoota
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wacahoota »

Maybe diamondback can work you out a deal where they give you two 0540 powered 11x7s in exchange for your barge and some cash!? :angel4: That way you'll have one for you, one for the wife. One to haul the beer and one to haul the frogs (after you get your aircraft motor, you'll be like: "Hey! I can go anywhere I want now! Now I can go froging!"

Just kidding around. I hope you get it figured out for the best!
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

hooker wrote:truth 2 be known with ur boat setup the way it is u need 2'more than what u have :bblue:
That's what I was thinking but haven't ever seen a 17' boat. 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 & 18 (20 and bigger as well), yes. I suppose you could order it any way you want it. Like Burger King. :wink:
John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

I'd love to see what that hull measures from chine to chine, I bet it is close to 6'6" and likely measures close to 8' on the top, thing is you don't run the boat on the top so it really can't be considered a true 8' wide hull, and there is one displacement problem resolved. Next thing is how far back the rake starts to come up then transfers to a flat section on up to the bow cap, I'd much rather have that flat section on the bottom that out in the air. There lies the second displacement issue that I see.
I never finish anyth,,,.
hooker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hooker »

a little more is better than not enough!
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

blackwaterairboats wrote:Digging, you can get a 17' boat and in my opinion that is what you need but 16' would be a great help also. Alumitech makes a great riding boat. The Alumitech AGIA is the hull I have. They can build it anyway you want and they can build out to fit your rigging. If you call them ask for Steve snd tell him I told you to call him. I do know they are out about 10 _12 weeks for a hull right now, but in my opinion worth the wait.
I did take that one ride in your boat but it was fairly short. However, I have seen the way it rides; up on top, doesn't porpoise and did I say fast? ;) I'm kind of in limbo right now. I've got somebody that should be able to tell me the whole story on my boat. If the motor really does only have the 250 - 300 hours the previous owner claimed, I'm all but certain I'm putting a new hull under my rigging. Being down for this long has given me a lot of time to think about what I want. I really like the layout of my boat but as you and others have pointed out, hull is too short for what I'm doing with it. I think I can end up with exactly what I want with less into my boat than what a new boat would cost. I went out in the yard a little while ago and was looking at my boat and if I go this route, I'm definitely going 17'. It just makes sense to have the extra room in front of the jump seat. Austin wants to start bowfishing (that's his birthday present this year) and it will be nice to have the room.
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

The new diamondbacks have alot more flat bottom than that old hull of yours. I mean alot! It will be a night and day difference. I have had both alumitech and diamondback. There is no comparison between the 2. Alumitechs are decent running boats but they don't hild a candle to d backs performance and quality. Just look at the deck lid on an alumitech. They haven't changed since the started building them. Call d back and talk to Tommy. They will get you set up where all you have to do is set your rigging right in and bolt it up
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

The new diamondbacks have alot more flat bottom than that old hull of yours. I mean alot! It will be a night and day difference. I have had both alumitech and diamondback. There is no comparison between the 2. Alumitechs are decent running boats but they don't hild a candle to d backs performance and quality. Just look at the deck lid on an alumitech. They haven't changed since the started building them. Call d back and talk to Tommy. They will get you set up where all you have to do is set your rigging right in and bolt it up
Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

we have the same hull with 3 triple seats and the 8.1 levitator and it runs real good for a heavy boat loaded do i think itd be better with a foot or two more probably and goin to an alumitec i wouldnt they run the hill and through the water pretty good but theyll never handle like a diamondback through corners runnin at a decent speed especially not the A model that has no turning tricks itll skip as fast sideways as itll go straight and i speak from personal experience drove a few and watched a few more and in ur situation with having kids id rather have something that handled jmo i might also ask what kind of propeller are you running on that boat? also was lookin at ur pic are u sure that boat is 15 foot it looks like a 14 in comparison to our 15
Attachments
rainy morning.jpg
rainy morning.jpg (102.24 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

When i went hull shopping in 09 Alumitech was the best price. Also comparing them all i really don't see a difference. All the local companies build good boats. Another factor was there right hear in O town close.

I had a car motor back then. Its a bit heavy for the VO540 but it a great platform in the water at 14 x 8 now i would go with the ultra light.
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

Just look at the details in a hull and you will be able to tell they are not even remotely close. There is not one single un finished edge on a d back. Every edge has been rolled with a tig. Nothing is un finished. The deck lid has a gas strut with built in drains. Not some BS pipe that is stubbed into the bow.

Return to “Airboat Tech”