Hull Question

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
User avatar
Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV
Posts: 4793
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: orange county fl
Contact:

Re: Hull Question

Post by Bruce »

we have the same hull with 3 triple seats and the 8.1 levitator and it runs real good for a heavy boat loaded do i think itd be better with a foot or two more probably and goin to an alumitec i wouldnt they run the hill and through the water pretty good but theyll never handle like a diamondback through corners runnin at a decent speed especially not the A model that has no turning tricks itll skip as fast sideways as itll go straight and i speak from personal experience drove a few and watched a few more and in ur situation with having kids id rather have something that handled jmo i might also ask what kind of propeller are you running on that boat? also was lookin at ur pic are u sure that boat is 15 foot it looks like a 14 in comparison to our 15
Attachments
rainy morning.jpg
rainy morning.jpg (102.24 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: orlando

Re: Hull Question

Post by terrible ted »

When i went hull shopping in 09 Alumitech was the best price. Also comparing them all i really don't see a difference. All the local companies build good boats. Another factor was there right hear in O town close.

I had a car motor back then. Its a bit heavy for the VO540 but it a great platform in the water at 14 x 8 now i would go with the ultra light.
User avatar
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 5277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: lake county

Re: Hull Question

Post by Tony480 »

Just look at the details in a hull and you will be able to tell they are not even remotely close. There is not one single un finished edge on a d back. Every edge has been rolled with a tig. Nothing is un finished. The deck lid has a gas strut with built in drains. Not some BS pipe that is stubbed into the bow.
User avatar
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2773
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Hull Question

Post by digginfool »

Bruce wrote:also was lookin at ur pic are u sure that boat is 15 foot it looks like a 14 in comparison to our 15
You know, I've never put a tape measure to it and never thought twice about it until I saw the pic of your boat. Since I'm still at the office, I grabbed a tape measure, walked out into the yard and measured it and sure as sheet, it's 14 feet. I'll be an SOB. :banghead: You ever get the feeling that somewhere, somehow, you pissed in someone's Wheaties and this is what Karma feels like? :lol: I thought I've been living a good life but daaaammmmmn! :shock:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Deland fl

Re: Hull Question

Post by wildcard »

don't cut db in anyway I have a 2003 with a383 you don't know what to do.my boat does what ever I want a lot of people on here have seen what it does and don't believe it you don't know what you want a boat to do or don't know how to drive .I'm waiting on you're remarks :violent1: :violent1: :rebel:
User avatar
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2773
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Hull Question

Post by digginfool »

Just looked at my title and it lists the length as 14' 8" which is a little longer than I measured but I was measuring along the gunwale (14' 4"). I suppose if I added the lip on the transom, it would give a LOA of 14' 8". How long is your 15'? Have you put a tape to it?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
wildcard
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Deland fl

Re: Hull Question

Post by wildcard »

14.7 the way db mesures a boat
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: orlando

Re: Hull Question

Post by terrible ted »

Tony480 wrote:Just look at the details in a hull and you will be able to tell they are not even remotely close. There is not one single un finished edge on a d back. Every edge has been rolled with a tig. Nothing is un finished. The deck lid has a gas strut with built in drains. Not some BS pipe that is stubbed into the bow.

A gas shock and 2 bits if hose and fitting was not worth a grand. Like i said there not much of any other difference.
User avatar
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 5277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: lake county

Re: Hull Question

Post by Tony480 »

Better price them again. Just priced one last week and d back was cheaper. Someone knows what the hell they are doing at d back. But to each his own. Keep licking the windows on the short bus Ted.
User avatar
Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV
Posts: 4793
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: orange county fl
Contact:

Re: Hull Question

Post by Bruce »

digginfool wrote:Just looked at my title and it lists the length as 14' 8" which is a little longer than I measured but I was measuring along the gunwale (14' 4"). I suppose if I added the lip on the transom, it would give a LOA of 14' 8". How long is your 15'? Have you put a tape to it?
never put one to it but just judging by the roll in the bow of yours it def has less bottom than our 15 your front double is past the roll thatll make it not run too well but id say def a 16 for the way ur boat is rigged and itll feel like a whole new machine with more hp on the back cant have 200lbs of crap in a 50lb box know what i mean its all about displacement too much load and its like driving a shovel
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2898
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: orlando

Re: Hull Question

Post by terrible ted »

Tony480 wrote:Better price them again. Just priced one last week and d back was cheaper. Someone knows what the hell they are doing at d back. But to each his own. Keep licking the windows on the short bus Ted.

Well it been years prices change and so do welders. I know that part of my job to inspect welds yep there are definitely preferred welders.

I know we had good times on the short bus. You used to miss your stop all the time. So I have to drive the bus around the block just drop you off.
User avatar
TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:24 pm
Location: Broward County

Re: Hull Question

Post by TheElevatorGuy »

Well since everyone is throwing out ideas.......how about just removing that front seat and limiting the load that is put on the boat??????
Seems like a much more economical solution to me......JMO
User avatar
Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V
Posts: 4597
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:16 am
Location: Inverness, FL

Re: Hull Question

Post by Deano »

You missed the first five chapters. . . . He fills the boat with his family and associated gear.
Therefore, the solution you propose is not an option, which is exactly as it should be. He will figure it out.

Getting out of the displacement mode and back onto the planning mode will make a considerable difference.
IMHO, I would probably go 18 feet. It would be my intent to only spend that money one time.

Sure, there are smaller tour boats that tote that load, but they are designed to do that for an hour at a time,
not a day at a time. Nor do they tote much additional gear. It does not take that much more power to push a
bigger hull, and in my view, elbow room enhances quality of life. I won't speak for anyone else, but for me,
that is why I have airboat to start with.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan
User avatar
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2773
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:00 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Hull Question

Post by digginfool »

I spoke to Tommy at DB and he knows the boat well from previous owner. He's already given me a price for the configuration I would be looking for, gave me a ballpark of what my used hull is worth and I believe (and Tommy seemed to agree) this is about as cost-effective a change as I could make to my boat. I was contemplating 18 but wondered how that would affect my ability to navigate tight areas. I don't want to get so long that I lose maneuverability but I definitely want to get away from the situation I'm in now. I'm expecting a call back from him either today or tomorrow regarding some info I was looking for on my boat and at that time, I'm ordering my new hull. Whether it's a 17 or 18 will be decided once I speak to him. I'm pretty sure 16 won't make enough of a difference so that's where I'm at. I'll have a new hull with like new rigging and may be in a situation where I won't need to have the additional horsepower. Plus, the bigger hull is cheaper than building a motor.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
User avatar
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 5277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: lake county

Re: Hull Question

Post by Tony480 »

Glad you listened and called them.
flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II
Posts: 1877
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:09 pm
Location: Elkhart, Kansas

Re: Hull Question

Post by flying fish »

digginfool wrote:I spoke to Tommy at DB and he knows the boat well from previous owner. He's already given me a price for the configuration I would be looking for, gave me a ballpark of what my used hull is worth and I believe (and Tommy seemed to agree) this is about as cost-effective a change as I could make to my boat. I was contemplating 18 but wondered how that would affect my ability to navigate tight areas. I don't want to get so long that I lose maneuverability but I definitely want to get away from the situation I'm in now. I'm expecting a call back from him either today or tomorrow regarding some info I was looking for on my boat and at that time, I'm ordering my new hull. Whether it's a 17 or 18 will be decided once I speak to him. I'm pretty sure 16 won't make enough of a difference so that's where I'm at. I'll have a new hull with like new rigging and may be in a situation where I won't need to have the additional horsepower. Plus, the bigger hull is cheaper than building a motor.
I would suggest 17' bottom transom to nose. Not suggesting 17' boat, suggesting 17' bottom. 9 full length 1/4" T-bars .190 bottom. 3/8" polymer. Study the deck and make front to back what deck dimensions you want. Get walkarounds 7-8". 8" if you are old like me. Support bottom T-bars to transom @ rear notching to where water can exit side to side on T-bar to transom supports. Get V-crimped sides for strength. Incorporate a midship brace and get jacks in front of and behind gas tank. Get full 84" bottom @ rear if your trailer will accomodate. Get a Bimini top. BAMF piece. JMO.-
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4
User avatar
Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 5277
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: lake county

Re: Hull Question

Post by Tony480 »

The old hulls use to. Not since they re did the bottom 5 years or so.ago
boobidges
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:06 pm

Re: Hull Question

Post by boobidges »

Have you tried putting jacks in your boat or adjusting engine angle? Shift some weight to the rear and flatten the bottom
Post Reply

Return to “Airboat Tech”