O-320 H2AD mag question

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
marine4life
Southern Airboat Member

O-320 H2AD mag question

Post by marine4life »

the mags on my motor need rebuilt i think. everytime i want to run the boat i have to take the mag cover off and blowdry it for it to run and sometimes it will just shut off on me. i was told to put a electronic ignition on it cause the ciamese mags system is known to go out. any advice? and if the electronic ignition is the better bet, what kind should i get and what is the average cost for it? thanks

Jason

gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Re: O-320 H2AD mag question

Post by gblack15 »

Boy that sure sounds like dejavu.... I just went through that on my 360. I spent a year of messing with the mags and had them rebuilt twice. The cost of an electronic ignition that I found ranged from $1300-$2000. One of my buddies found me a great deal on an airworthy 3000 series mag and that fixed the problems. I do have a bunch of spare mag parts in my garage if you need something. Good Luck

marine4life
Southern Airboat Member

Post by marine4life »

thanks, we are going to get the mags rebuilt and it should be done in a week. i am going to be getting stationed out of state here soon so my dad wants to build a bigger boat so we are going to sell the boat when the mags get rebuilt. its a year old boat so we will see what we get out of it. my dad is going to build a 14' boat with prolly a 383 stroker with a 2:1 gear box for a family ride. thanks for the response

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 »

Im having exact same prob w h2ad mag,1 day it will start next nuttin thought it was fuel,redone carb accel pump & all nope same prob,both set points were firin now only 1 changed pnts no difference so thinkin coil or condenser,anyone know where the condensers r located,i can see the gears & coils but cant see condensers,havent takin mag off yet,i been wrkin on this pos for 2mnths now since purchase bout ready to burn the bitch,lol,get 1 thing fixed then somethin happens,only been to water 3 times & bow starts 14th pisses me off!

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z »

The capacitors are in the cap where the P- lead is connected to the magneto. In between the spark plug wires there is a hex nut that holds it on the cap. DO NOT OVER TORQUE it is aluminum. I can send you the PDF copy of the overhaul manual. The magnetos are no longer supported by Bendix. Only aftermarket parts available , If you need more info PM me.
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

marine4life
Southern Airboat Member

Post by marine4life »

talked to someone about it. brand new from lycoming the mags are $8000. HOLY CRAP NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It takes about $300 to rebuild them or around $1900ish to have the electronic ignition innstalled. the problem is that the mags have magnesium internally and that attracts moisture which in florida is hard to get away from. From what i am told you need the electronic ignition and it will actually run and start everytime. also not sure if you have the aircraft starter on your 320 but i went to an automotive starter and it turns over alot faster and that was one of the problems i was having. i felt the same way about my boat seeing how it is only a year or so old but it is a good strong motor and will push me anywhere i want to go besides the death black muck.

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z »

marine4life wrote:talked to someone about it. brand new from lycoming the mags are $8000. HOLY CRAP NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It takes about $300 to rebuild them or around $1900ish to have the electronic ignition innstalled. the problem is that the mags have magnesium internally and that attracts moisture which in florida is hard to get away from. From what i am told you need the electronic ignition and it will actually run and start everytime. also not sure if you have the aircraft starter on your 320 but i went to an automotive starter and it turns over alot faster and that was one of the problems i was having. i felt the same way about my boat seeing how it is only a year or so old but it is a good strong motor and will push me anywhere i want to go besides the death black muck.
Are you saying the starter spins the engine too fast? This myth has been debunked by Skytec I call BS if that is your claim. The corrosion problems are remedied by Alodined coating and zinc chromate paint.
The integrity of your ground to the capacitors is vital to the performance of this type magneto. If the magneto is basically sound and points coils and capacitors need replaced that is no problem.
Twister69z

marine4life
Southern Airboat Member

Post by marine4life »

i myself am not claiming nothing.. When i got the automotive starter it spun the motor a lot faster than the aircraft starter did. not saying that was the problem. i am definatly not trying to stat a fact at all cause i am not a aircraft mechanic at all just a person that like to do research to learn. i have not heard of the Alodined coating and zinc chromate paint. so that is something i need to put into my brain housing when i go to do other things.

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

I had the same problem with my "H" motor several years back. It didn't happen all the time, just enough to be aggravating. Have ran with several other "H" motors over the years. Seems like some have that moisture problem & some don't.

My motor ran pretty cool and I had a few people telling me it wasn't getting hot enough to get rid of the moisture. I have no idea whether that was the case or not.

Make sure the plugs in the bottom are vented & the plugs in the top are not.

Rick

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

rick wrote:I had the same problem with my "H" motor several years back. It didn't happen all the time, just enough to be aggravating. Have ran with several other "H" motors over the years. Seems like some have that moisture problem & some don't.

My motor ran pretty cool and I had a few people telling me it wasn't getting hot enough to get rid of the moisture. I have no idea whether that was the case or not.

Rick
I remember it well sneeze and itd run bad open the cap in the sun for about 15 min put it back together and go
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by midnight rider »

I have the same mag and motor and have and it since 07. Never not once have I ever had an issue starting. But I made sure it was a 3000 series mag when I got it. My buddy had the same starting issue but his was 2000 series. If you have the 3000 then I would check the mating surface between cap and case for corrosion. They need good continuity. And then possibly timing. Are you running a manual or electric fuel pump.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

I had a friend of mine had that mag setup on an io-540...he had the accessory housing removed and a std housing put on with 2 20 series bendix mags ....cost him $1100 plus his old parts.....don't know if that kind of change out is possible on the 320 but it might be worth looking into

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z »

GMAC 76 wrote:I had a friend of mine had that mag setup on an io-540...he had the accessory housing removed and a std housing put on with 2 20 series bendix mags ....cost him $1100 plus his old parts.....don't know if that kind of change out is possible on the 320 but it might be worth looking into
It is not possible the H2AD is a breed all its own.
Twister69z

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z »

Bruce wrote:
rick wrote:I had the same problem with my "H" motor several years back. It didn't happen all the time, just enough to be aggravating. Have ran with several other "H" motors over the years. Seems like some have that moisture problem & some don't.

Rick
I remember it well sneeze and itd run bad open the cap in the sun for about 15 min put it back together and go
Yes and by doing so renewed the integrity of the ground to the capacitors.
Twister69z

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy »

This condenser / capacitor grounding path issue you speak of...
first time I have heard of this.
Makes sense.
Will try and remember this in the future, when I see anybody having troubles with the Siamese mags

chugalug
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by chugalug »

Hit and Miss Mags will not mess with them. I have 1 now to fix , going to return it to owner do not want my name on a drn2000 or is that a darn 2000.I can fix it, but do not want to stand behind it. That mag seems to be a problem.

Return to “Airboat Tech”