Question on Tourque Roll

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Alpal
Southern Airboat Member

Question on Tourque Roll

Post by Alpal »

If I stand behind my boat and look at the Subaru engine's flywheel, it turns Anti Clockwise, so the Tourque Roll would be to the opposite, Clockwise..right,...but I have a reduction box with two cogs so the prop is going the opposite way to the engine...It goes Clockwise. So the question is this, is the Tourque Roll to the Clockwise (Opposite the engine) or Anti Clockwise (Opposite the Prop) or does one cancel the other out ?????
Thanks, Aussie Allan.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Question on Tourque Roll

Post by glades cat »

The torque effect will be opposite of prop rotation...if you live in the Northern Hemisphere.
If you live in Australia, you might have to turn around or stand on your head to perform this calculation. :lol:

Just mess in with ya mate.
Everyone knows that torque is reversed south of the Equator and is completely cancelled as you reach the Poles. :scratch:
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TheElevatorGuy »

glades cat wrote:The torque effect will be opposite of prop rotation...if you live in the Northern Hemisphere.
If you live in Australia, you might have to turn around or stand on your head to perform this calculation. :lol:

Everyone knows that torque is reversed south of the Equator and is completely cancelled as you reach the Poles. :scratch:

WHAT?

Alpal
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Alpal »

Hey, whats with you Guys up there on Top of the world. Doesn't any one know anything about Tourque Roll. I would like to know as I am moving my fuel tank and want to put it on a side that will counter any slight roll caused by Tourque.

Aussie Allan

coopb6
Southern Airboat Member

Post by coopb6 »

If your prob spins to the right then it torques to the left. If your prop spins
to the left then your torque roll is to the right

Alpal
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Alpal »

Thanks Coopb6....
Thats what I needed to know
Aussie Allan

WaterWalker
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by WaterWalker »

glades cat wrote:The torque effect will be opposite of prop rotation...if you live in the Northern Hemisphere.

Glades Cat:

Yep, you’re thinking “the big picture” there all right. Things can be different around this big ball we live on. For instance;

If you have a belt drive your driver position should be on the left side of your boat which is the “right side” to offset torque roll. It’s like in your car that you drive from the left side to be on the “right side” of the road.

If you have a gear box drive your driver position should be on the right side of your boat for torque roll which is the “wrong side” for what you are familiar with in driving your pickup. That is if you are not in England where they drive on the “wrong side” of the road from the “right side” of their little cars over there.

I was in the South Seas Islands once and watched the toilets flush backwards, that is when I could find one.

Cheers
Working to make airboating better

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Glad you caught the humor Mr Wine. It was kind of early in the morning and I hadn't had my coffee yet.
Alpal, I answered the question in the first sentence but just added a bit of friendly humor after that.
Something to consider:
Torque effect will always be opposite a rotating mass...while accelerating. When decelerating, it will be in the same direction as your prop. The heavier the mass, the greater the effect.
Hope it helps.
Do you still drive on the "wrong side" of the road down under?
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Alpal
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Alpal »

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. What I did to verify what you are saying was correct was this. While on the trailer I revved her up and watched the bubble on my level expecting the Tourque Roll to cause the trailer springs to sag on the left but there was no twisting in either direction. Maybe my trailer springs are too stiff ???? Maybe Tourque Roll is too slight??? Maybe the engine and propellor cancel each other out???

Aussie Allan
PS. Yes Glades Cat, we still drive on the other side of the road from you Guys. How ever I am OK at driving on your side. Just did a 15000 mile trip around the States in a 23 year old Motorhome we bought in Oregon (resold it in LA) Needless to say that Florida was high on our list of places to check out and we received warm Airboat welcomes from everyone we met and we learned a lot too! Finding a big mob of Airboats up in Nebraska was a bonus too! Riding the Platte is awesome.

Return to “Airboat Tech”