Aluminum trailer's. Who's got them at a resonable price?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Re: Aluminum trailer's. Who's got them at a resonable price?

Post by Smuggler »

captain chad wrote: Im done. Dont like all this bashing.
I never said a word about your trailers until you called me out with this..
captain chad wrote: Compare my trailer has 5 1/2 ibeam for main frame and 5 inch Ibeam for cross members not channel (Ibeam is stronger).
Since YOU brought it up, I was just helping with the comparison.. I don't think that's bashing... :dontknow:

T. Gaffney
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by T. Gaffney »

In my opinion, the finest aluminum airboat trailer you can buy is a Rolls. Their patented axle and torsion system with a lifetime warranty is a plus as well. To my knowledge, all of the aluminum airboat trailers made today are a copy of theirs anyhow. I was building aluminum airboat trailers for Eli at Tropic Trailer in Ft. Myers and George at B and G Trailers in Deland starting around 2002. I mirrored my design off of a Rolls but couldn't get the drop the same because you can only get so much of drop with a conventional torsion axle. Anyway, just making a point that before you guys start calling out imitations, you should know that they all are.

mscott
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mscott »

I have a B & S because that's what the boat was sitting on when I bought it. I had to replace a spindle and almost lost the wheel after I blew a tire. Its a great trailer, and I've had other boats with great trailers.... A Ranger Trail I had for my Ranger Bass Boat did the same thing. So stuff happens. I have gone through it and tightened all the bolts. You guys REALLY like your nuts and bolts!

Trickynicky540
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Trickynicky540 »

Chris Chardt @ Dakota Airboats in Melbourne has started a good trailer operation as well apparently. He's been turning out a bunch of trailers for folks and takes trade-ins. I think prices start at 13hundo according to facebook. There are plenty of good builders thru out Florida.

Ya but there steel and four times the weight.....................
13' x 7.6" Diamondback, 1/4 poly, Alum Rig,
IO-540, 76"2 Bld NGQ
Yeahhhh...

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Smuggler wrote:
Prototype wrote:cheap imitation!
"Imitation" I can live with.. It's a trailer, not sure what I could change that would allow it to haul a boat and not look like a trailer :roll: However I would love to hear what makes mine "cheap"? Do you care to back that statement up with some facts??

Never claimed yours was? I just put Cliff a priority to getting my paycheck in full in the commercial ind. Karavan is next with some really cool ideals in stainless but they don't know airboats at all? U bolt saddles in stainless is a nice touch if you know trailers, but to date I have not seen one u bolt saddle on any airboat trailer.

My trailers run 3-4 mpg on the job difference but a break down on the interstate is automatically 300 and 3 hours if it can be fixed on site? I have never had to reweld a B&S on the side of the road, and I can take no pride to powering my boat on land to flex the tongue so bad to not warrant full throttle on my b&s?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Smuggler I would like to see what you make in person. Please PM me and we will ride over to preview your product. One thing I see from the pics is the B&S units have two bow contact points one with a board down low then a double station up high. That would be a must in my build.

trailerdon
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by trailerdon »

All welded. Just sayin'
Attachments
doggie's 035.JPG

Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler »

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Smuggler I would like to see what you make in person. Please PM me and we will ride over to preview your product. One thing I see from the pics is the B&S units have two bow contact points one with a board down low then a double station up high. That would be a must in my build.
Not a problem! I can do it anyway you want.. I will PM you, in the mean time here is a link with more pictures. https://plus.google.com/photos/10612485 ... vs3ogfSLZw

As far as welding goes... That is another great airboat debate as to which is better! Standard on mine is bolted but I would be more then happy to weld one if the customer prefers it as it's way faster and even cheaper then bolting it together.

Bolted together.. Just sayin :D

ALSO wanted to add that if distance is a factor I have no problem meeting (within 100 miles of Brooksville) for delivery at no extra charge.

CJB0470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by CJB0470 »

I bought a trailer from Chad and I tip my hat to him for getting out when everybody started getting fussy. My trailer is awesome it's nice to drive to the boat ramp and not have to look in the rearview mirror to check on my boat!
Attachments
image.jpg
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest"
-Mark Twain

swampdragster
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swampdragster »

B&S, the rest is just B&S without the &.....lol.
UNLIMITED SWAMPDRAGSTER DRIVER
QUICK SLICK on every dang thing!!!!

trailerdon
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by trailerdon »

Don't get me wrong Smuggler, I'm liking the c-channel build. Think I will try it on my next build.
As for welding: Since being in the trailer biz I have developed a deep hatred for stainless steel. "gulding sh*t"
God forbid you forget the neverseeze. I think it is all the Chinese garbage that has found its way to our shores. "That would be another subject".

Return to “Airboat Tech”