Tony480 how do you like this rigging?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Tony480 how do you like this rigging?

Post by Cowboy Rock »

My Granddaddy said that a Poor Ride was better than a Proud Walk,,, :-)

:drunken: :rebel: :old_glory:

Cowboy r
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill »

The guy must be one hell of a salesman to think he can get that much for an ugly boat. All for building the best boat for the least out of pocket but I'm not going to the school yard to get me some free chain link! :lol:

Wacahoota
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wacahoota »

Cowboy Rock wrote:My Granddaddy said that a Poor Ride was better than a Proud Walk,,, :-)

Cowboy r
Ain't that the truth! Sounds like a wise man. :thumbleft:

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill »

Cowboy Rock wrote:My Granddaddy said that a Poor Ride was better than a Proud Walk,,, :-)

Cowboy r
I think you can build something nice on a tight budget if you are willing to spend the time. Yeah ride is better than no ride but I wont be snipping the school fence at 3 am to accomplish that. Materials aren't the biggest factor if your doing it yourself and if you keep your brain in check, well it's sometimes tough. If your paying for labor you need disposable income. Yeah already went off on a tangent for my 520 with the turbo but need something on the water by spring so the 470 is almost done. Still try to do the coolest stuff I can within my budget. Sometimes luck goes your way too. Our new electrician worked at a fiberglass manufacturer that shut down and he told me they threw 10's of thousands of pounds of fiberglass in garbage dumpsters and paid to get rid of them. I said that sucks because I need some. He said he has 2 full rolls in the rafters and I can have them for nothing. Like new best friend! He gets a ride!

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover »

[quote="Wild Bill"]The guy must be one hell of a salesman to think he can get that much for an ugly boat. All for building the best boat for the least out of pocket but I'm not going to the school yard to get me some free chain link! :lol:[/quote]
Lmao

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

Wow good to see if u say somethin negative about a boat u grew up rich thats funny
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

mudwizer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mudwizer »

My first boat i would take it to the woods at night it looked so bad, thats the truth

WaterWalker
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by WaterWalker »

mudwizer wrote:My first boat i would take it to the woods at night it looked so bad, thats the truth
I built (put together) my first boat when I was in the upper grades of Grammar School (when I bothered to go) just after the great war. Following a major storm, I found an old very small row boat blown up into the wire grass along the shore of the Halifax River at Ormond Beach, FL. It was about 3 1/2 feet wide and 10 feet long with a wood plank floor. My older brother, Mitchell loaded it up on the back of his "Skeeter" with some orange crates under it so the wheels wouldn't rub and we took it home.

My Daddy was the Maytag man and had an old two cylinder, two cycle washing machine engine that I bargained (worked) him out of. I found an old two blade swept back aluminum boat propeller at a junk store, found a shaft, built a wood exit box packed with plumbing oakum and lard. A small red metal gas can, new green house paint and such and we were ready. Mitchell's Skeeter was broke down so we balanced it across the seat and handlebars of my bicycle and with about four kids all around it we wheeled it about 3/4 mile to the river again. When I got the motor running, I could steer it by leaning one way or the other and stop by grounding the mag.

It wasn't pretty but at the time it was the best boat I had ever had. No registration numbers, licenses, permissions or payments.

It was a good summer on the Halifax river. I kept it hid in the same wire grassed edge of the river and went to it every chance I got. A few times, I was able to get Susie Ann (neighbor girl) to go with me and help with the fishing. We both learned a lot. A big fall storm with strong west winds must have blown it away because it was gone afterwards. I never found it again.

"The Lord Giveth and the Lord taketh away"
Working to make airboating better

blowboatbandit
Southern Airboat Member

Post by blowboatbandit »

The cooling fan shroud cracks me up. But whatever gets the job done.
Doing what I do best.. showing off..

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC »

I know this is an old post and many of you may not even get the joke directed towards Tony480 however since the images of the boat I originally posted got such great feedback I just wanted to remind everyone that the boat is still for sale on craigslist. It's been over 2 years so naturally the price for the completed boat has gone up a little from $6500 to $7000 but if you act quick you can still pick it up! You might want to ask for new pics though because I've been seeing these same ones for roughly 3 years!

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/5440093817.html
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

yep CAR motor.

Return to “Airboat Tech”