Fuel Float Delima

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Fuel Float Delima

Post by Southern Style »

OK... What I am trying to do is find something like a glass bead that I can place in the sight tube on the side of the gas tank making it easier to judge fuel levels at a glance.. It would be easier than trying to find a clear line of fuel in a clear tube at a glance while driving.. I know, they make fuel gauges... Im not interested in one. Just trying to find out what would be a good visual float to use. Plastic?? Maybe like the beads on those leaders used for fishing?? What would work and not be dissolved by the 100LL..

Thanks for any help..

Chive On..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Skeeter-Gee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Fuel Float Delima

Post by Skeeter-Gee »

is your tank cut for a regular fuel sender ? if so they make a mechanical sender that has a magnet drive needle on top. old makos used to use these alot .just an idea , if you going with a site tube maybe like a necklace bead might work

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Gas tank is not cut for the old style gauge in the screw cap type... But with the straw on the side, It would be nice to find a RED bead that would float at the top of the fuel level inside the clear sight tube... Might have to just take a RED bead and let is soak in 100LL for a month and see if it disintegrates or bleaches out or just dissolves... That's my fear. Coming back and find it in a powder floating in the bottom of my gas tank.. Might have to fly by trial and error ( in a controlled environment of course)
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

They make a mechanical unit that is a direct fit for replacement where the electric sender fits. It uses a float and a gear drive to move the needle. I have done it, if you can't find one locally Alumitec sells them. The old clear tubes don't hold up with this crap fuel. Talk about dangerous YIKES

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... =458267530

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Tony480 »

He runs avgas....he wants to be able to glance down while running and see the fuel level. Let me know what you find SS.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Run nothing but Avgas and only thing I have ever had happen was after 3-4 years, the tube starts to discolor a bit. I just replace it with another 50 cent piece of hose. My boat also has a front seat driver, so seeing that gauge on top of the gas tank that far back and trying to see what it reads might take longer.. LOL... Site tube has always been perfect for me, just seeing if there was something that would be more of a contrast in the tube for me to glance at..

Thanks for that info though.. Its a 25 gal tank, unknown if that arm would reach all the way down to the bottom..

Will do Tony... Gonna get with QuickDiesel.. He deals with fuel and carbs every day!! He might know. Then Im gonna hit the stores and see what I can find out.. Will keep u posted..
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

SS what is the inner diameter of your sight tube? Not sure if a 10mm, 3/8" is to big, but may point you in the right direction! :rebel:

http://www.thomasnet.com/catnav/itemdet ... d=20000336

Hollow Plastic Balls help control heat loss, evaporation, and help with odor and mist control. Hollow Balls are also used as a check-valve ball in flow control applications. HDPE Hollow Balls can be used in Oil and Gasoline Applications.

He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

you could make some adapters to increase the tube size so the float is bigger than the inlet and outlet tubing so the float will stay in the tube.
then all you need is the float and design to it.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Michael's Crafts has thin brass tubing and brass sheet. just cut a short piece of tubing and solder some end caps on it. It should float. Or just crimp the ends and solder and file to fit the sight glass. Ace should have it too, or use a piece of a brass arm off an old lamp. Needs to be thin though. I used to have some around here somewhere, If I find it Ill crimp and solder and float test a piece. Pretty sure copper is too heavy for this way.

If ya find a bead thats ok but is small enough to drop into the tank, cut a small disk of faucet nozzle screen and put in each end of the sight glass. Same size as ID of sight glass but larger than the 90 degree fitting on the tank.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

how about the balls they use in those cheap little anti-freeze testers???

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Awsome ideas guys!!! I am gonna measure the inside of the cleat hose. I think its 1/2 in clear hose.. if those hollow ballsndont work, might try the glass idea. Dont think it would pass the 90 degree elbows. Think it would stay in the clear tubing. The brass idea is awsome but cant solder worth a crap.. lol... will get goin on these ideas and let u know.. thanks for all the ideas..
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

kwanj.. thats exactly what im looking for. Just need to see if it will fit in hose. Thanks again to all for info!!
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Hey man, post up some pix of your final assembly ! Good luck.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN »

We sell these guys sight glasses, and they show a "reflective ball" (suffix rb) type. Dunno if it`s what you`re talking about, but it`s what I thought about when I read your post.
page 22b in their catalog
http://www.lenzinc.biz/fc/FPA-13/

Good Luck

Hasbeen
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Has been, I tried page 22 but found nothing that would float in gas and not dissolve.. Did I look in the wrong place? Hit Ace on 192, and we had a hell of a time. Thought about anything that was made for carbs, lawn mowers, bearings, even actual gas cans. Those don't dissolve in gas.. LOL... Keep being told to go to Michaels or a Bead place.. Gotta find something. I am gonna call that place kwanj posted. See if I can get something... This is crazy. Why is it so difficult to find something that will float in gas in a bead form?? LOL.. I feel like there are hidden cameras laughing at me cause I am missing something.. Gonna try a bead..
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Junker »

Southern............I do know the see through site plugs for Holley carbs are made of Acrylic plastic........
Upon further research Acrylic is susceptible to degradtion via fuel...........
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Thanks Junker... I know for a fact that I am NOT a mixologist, a chemist, and can not read them manufacturers data sheets that come with items as far as the make up of components.. LOL... The wife said to just research what will not degrade in fuel and find something of that material.. Easier said than done.. LOL... The search continues......

WOW, wish I had a major motor issue, it could have been diagnosed and fixed by now.. LOL..
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Junker »

High Density Poly Ethylene - HDPE is what your basic fuel cans are made of........pellets of it are sold by the ton...
I did see where they sell hollow glass beads on line though.
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Thanks Junker.. Will see if I can get a HDPE pellet to fit in a 1/2 inch hose..
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Larry
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Larry »

You could get a black plastic carb float and cut a piece out of it to fit in the line, they are usually pretty fuel resistant :).

mscott
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mscott »

Very interested in what you found that works. I have same sight tube and it's dis colored in different places making it very hard to read especially under way.

ddriver
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ddriver »

what about a small cork. any hardware store.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

Thats what Wade said... most stuff in fuel tanks are that cork stuff.... been busy with the Dep. Pill homicide trial so have not really had a chance this week to shop. Next week we should be done testifying so I can get back to the float issue...
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

Post by gyrocopter582 »

We use a fuel line float on the whirlybirds.
California Power Systems has them.
Lockwood Aviation has them.
Bear Perkins has them.
They are red plastic 'pellets'.
"Amaze your friends, annoy your neighbors"

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

AWSOME GYRO!!!!!! That's what I was looking for.. Already tested and working. Didn't want to try something and have it dissolve and trash the carb or motor.. LOL.. Will check with them and see if I can order it..

Thanks all for everyone's input.. Great forum!!
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Return to “Airboat Tech”