prop below transom

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
rcm243
Southern Airboat Member

prop below transom

Post by rcm243 »

How far below the transom can the tip of the prop go before it looses thrust? RCM
Politicians are like whores,as long as the money`s available they`re there for you.
Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Re: prop below transom

Post by Hog Guts »

Technically if it's below at all it will lose thrust by virtue of the physics involved. But generally I believe I was told a beer can away from transom and 8 inches down max. I think mines down further and it's fine....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw »

:dontknow: mine is about 6 inches below and does just fine.....
farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

rcm243 wrote:How far below the transom can the tip of the prop go before it looses thrust? RCM
Probably depends on the kind of prop... I've always been told the swept tip props you can run up to 10inches in the boat. Mine I believe mine is 9 inches in the boat. I'm running a R series.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association
SWAMPCRACKER85
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SWAMPCRACKER85 »

I've always wondered that too.You would think their would be a loss on thrust :scratch:
10'6x7 cut down Ricochet, 0-300 Clunkinental 68x34 Sensenich kevlar tip narrow
farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

I'm sure at 7-10inches down its gotta lose something I would think...
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association
Quick Draw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Quick Draw »

farmboy wrote:I'm sure at 7-10inches down its gotta lose something I would think...
The way you was showing off at the treehouse on Saturday with 6 or 7 people on the boat with a few others pushing grass rakes I can't tell if it's losing thrust :lol: :lol:
jbtn
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jbtn »

Rcm243 where are you at in tn I am about 30 miles north of chattanooga we might ride together some time I got an old 350 dd I throwed together havent had in water yet just around in yard
farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

Quick Draw wrote:
farmboy wrote:I'm sure at 7-10inches down its gotta lose something I would think...
The way you was showing off at the treehouse on Saturday with 6 or 7 people on the boat with a few others pushing grass rakes I can't tell if it's losing thrust :lol: :lol:
I don't know what your talking about :scratch: :dontknow: :lol: :lol:

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by plumcrazy »

a lower push point will gain you more than any so called loss of thrust.... and by the way thrust is a by product of what the prop really does, and that is screw through the air... its the same as a out board motor prop in the water .... all you young guys that have never ran a wood prop , heres how they used to gage a prop.
a 72 -32 wood prop in theory would move 32 inches forward every time it made 1 revolution, the best thing you can do to help your airboat is to have un obstructive air feeding your prop no matter what kind it is.... plus the lower the center of push of your boat the less down force you put on the nose , i have my 70 in prop 10 inchs below my transom 8)
rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Plum wrote:a lower push point will gain you more than any so called loss of thrust....
My rigging was built on that theory and I've always been happy with it...12' Diamondback, F.I. 470 runout, 70" (3) blade - 5" below transom.

Rick
larry7mm
Southern Airboat Member

Post by larry7mm »

I've built and ran a lot of different airboats from ride to race boats, I can say that my best handling and performance boats all had between 10 to 12 inches inside the transom, handling and lower point of thrust far out ways any down side my boat right now has a 81 inch sensenich 12 inches inside and it works.
harley
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by harley »

I run a 14x8 DB , HULL WITH A 80'' 3 BLD R 268 gear , mine is 8'' below and does just fine... 8) :thumbleft: :rebel:
14x8 Diamondback / SBC Power.

"ALL THROTTLE NO BOTTLE"
junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat »

Have mine 11 inches in , 82" R . The tips draw air in and middle of prop is where thrust generates. Thats the purpose of the winglets to cup air and force it toward middle and not escape off end.

Go to car wash , with motor running , spray front side toward end of prop and watch where the spray comes off, corkscrewing from the prop in the middle. It will do this even if you spray the tips in the lower half of prop in boat.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member
swampdragster
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swampdragster »

11'' deep on a 16x8 marsh master. Works great.
UNLIMITED SWAMPDRAGSTER DRIVER
QUICK SLICK on every dang thing!!!!
rcm243
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rcm243 »

junglecat wrote:Have mine 11 inches in , 82" R . The tips draw air in and middle of prop is where thrust generates. Thats the purpose of the winglets to cup air and force it toward middle and not escape off end.

Go to car wash , with motor running , spray front side toward end of prop and watch where the spray comes off, corkscrewing from the prop in the middle. It will do this even if you spray the tips in the lower half of prop in boat.
You`re absolutely right, I watched the c 130, caribou and the c118 take off in viet nam nearly every day and on a damp humid morning you could see the vapor coming down the blades and going to about half way down and then trailing back. RCM
Politicians are like whores,as long as the money`s available they`re there for you.
cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cantrundry »

plumcrazy wrote:a lower push point will gain you more than any so called loss of thrust.... and by the way thrust is a by product of what the prop really does, and that is screw through the air... its the same as a out board motor prop in the water .... all you young guys that have never ran a wood prop , heres how they used to gage a prop.
a 72 -32 wood prop in theory would move 32 inches forward every time it made 1 revolution, the best thing you can do to help your airboat is to have un obstructive air feeding your prop no matter what kind it is.... plus the lower the center of push of your boat the less down force you put on the nose , i have my 70 in prop 10 inchs below my transom 8)
Your boat is also on the north side of crazy where tq is concerned... been around that thing a time or 2. :thumbleft:
PREPARE FOR BEARS AND PRAY FOR BUNNIES.
calbrigsr
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by calbrigsr »

Beer can both ways works fine!
Chuck S.J.R.A.A.
11'6 Charlie Jones, FI S/V 0540, 5 Blade 72" Warpdrive.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Airboat Tech”