Poly knowledge?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Poly knowledge?

Postby radtech » Sun May 04, 2014 2:31 pm

I just about have my boat back together. Cleaned the poly real good and put 9 coats of Southern slide on it. I already knew my poly was scratched pretty bad, but with the SS application, It is more apparent. If I had a good, fresh sheet of poly, it would be slick as he11. (the front of the boat IS) The rest is rough, but noticed it slides a good bit better when I trailered it. OK, to the question...

I've been researching poly and like the idea of the blue iron infused with silicone. Anyone have experience with it? I've been told that harder poly gets brittle after awhile. Just wondering how long a sheet would last. Also, I've heard of every color you can imagine for different hardnesses (is that a word? lol) Any opinions on which is best? I'm gonna have to replace mine after this season for sure

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Poly knowledge?

Postby Tony480 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Scuffed up poly runs way better than new smooth poly

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Sun May 04, 2014 7:15 pm

Guess I should have asked for any intelligent and/or helpful info. lol

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Sun May 04, 2014 7:23 pm

Radtech, that is knowledgeable info. Sounds like your the only one that doesn't know that scuffed poly runs better than new poly. Unlike many on here Tony has been Airboating 20 years and he knows what going on when it comes to Airboats. I'll say don't waste your money with the other poly, if it was better everybody would have it. I've seen like 3 boats running it, go back with the Black or Grey!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:27 pm

You can't fix stupid Mark...he's done jumped on that poly butter band wagon....hope you use that lube on yourself cause that's the only thing that shits good for.

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Sun May 04, 2014 7:38 pm

fl cracker wrote:Radtech, that is knowledgeable info. Sounds like your the only one that doesn't know that scuffed poly runs better than new poly. Unlike many on here Tony has been Airboating 20 years and he knows what going on when it comes to Airboats. I'll say don't waste your money with the other poly, if it was better everybody would have it. I've seen like 3 boats running it, go back with the Black or Grey!

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Cracker. First off, maybe it is, to a point. Mine is extremely scarred from running asphalt and other places a big, heavy boat should not be run. I seriously don't see it riding better than new poly. Second, my experience with your buddy Tony is that he seldom has anything helpful to say.

Tony, I'm on no one's bandwagon. I'm willing to try anything once. If it works, good, if not, I'm only out $100. Big deal.

daddgonemadd
Southern Airboat Member

Postby daddgonemadd » Sun May 04, 2014 8:01 pm

I thought the question was if "blue poly" was any better than anything else.

I would also be interested if there is a preferred poly.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Sun May 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Blue iron was developed to protect dump trucks hauling rocks. There is many mixtures of UHMW on the market. Oh that what most call poly.

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Yea but he thinks a good sheet of poly is going to be slicker...when everyone knows scuffed up poly runs better...but if he wasn't to waste money go ahead...he obviously likes to waste it if he bought that poly butter gimmick

bbstimey
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bbstimey » Sun May 04, 2014 8:13 pm

LOL another internet wizard
14'x8' JB hull w/Stingered GO-480 w/ electronic ignition and 3 blade 80" R

Skeeter-Gee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Skeeter-Gee » Sun May 04, 2014 8:17 pm

I would assume that rougher poly would cause a the bottom of the boat to "break free" and run a little free'r in water. Not sure if the blue being a higher silicon content would mean its slicker but also possibly softer ? But in the same respect blue is used in dump truck Bedliners. I've only ever been in boats with black , and white a very long time ago .i had an idea about poly being scalloped on the bottom only partially in the poly not all the way through whether or not it effect running dry it'd be neat to experiment

skinny99
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby skinny99 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Tony and Mark are complete morons. Don't listen to any advise they are offering you. They have years of actual airboating experience and first hand knowledge of boats with and without poly and various different colors and kinds. They are just being jerks and offering you bad advise.

Please don't listen. Break out that checkbook and get new poly everytime it is scuffed up!
Successful people do what others won't or can't!

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Sun May 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Skeeter-Gee wrote:I would assume that rougher poly would cause a the bottom of the boat to "break free" and run a little free'r in water. Not sure if the blue being a higher silicon content would mean its slicker but also possibly softer ? But in the same respect blue is used in dump truck Bedliners. I've only ever been in boats with black , and white a very long time ago .i had an idea about poly being scalloped on the bottom only partially in the poly not all the way through whether or not it effect running dry it'd be neat to experiment

I've been told the blue iron is harder. Also was told by a very knowledgable airboater that the harder poly tends to get brittle due to not being as flexible. That is why I was asking for opinions by those who have used it.

Again, Tony, I'm quite sure that replacing my poly would not be a waste of money considering it is not only bubbled between screws, but wore to paper thin back by the transom. Of course, I know that you know it all having used every imaginable product. I considered not replying to your post at all, but it was a good way to bring my post back to the main page for others to comment. It's obvious you can't handle someone doubting your word, but when 90% of the time you post dumb, derogatory comments, those who are used to them don't believe you have anything intelligible to say. I've got a new product for you to try out. lol
Attachments
10170959_762414000456416_2594039211969225548_n.jpg

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Hog Guts » Sun May 04, 2014 8:50 pm

My sarcasm meter just redlined :)
The butter does make a scientific difference I've seen it myself on more than just my boat. Whether it's worth $100 a gal isup to the guy who paid for itive re felt and seen both normal poly and the one with silicone built in. I can't speak to their longevity due to differing hardness but it's real easy to tell the difference when you feel them and I'm sure it makes a difference on the land too. Everyone has a different opinion.... Sry for blown up sentence ipad don't work well with tapia talk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Sun May 04, 2014 8:54 pm

There allays Teflon. You can buy Virgin or recycled.

I use these materials almost every day designing machinery. For sliding surfaces or simple bearings I use UHMW. Its not good for machining it expands and contracts allot. pain in a machinist a77

My question is can you afford more horse power. Your polys not going to make much difference but that will.

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Sun May 04, 2014 9:10 pm

terrible ted wrote:There allays Teflon. You can buy Virgin or recycled.

I use these materials almost every day designing machinery. For sliding surfaces or simple bearings I use UHMW. Its not good for machining it expands and contracts allot. pain in a machinist a77

My question is can you afford more horse power. Your polys not going to make much difference but that will.

I have a good, strong engine. Most of the time I have no problem running dry. As I stated earlier, my poly is ruined at the back from running asphalt and concrete at the river ramp up here. Wasn't a good thing to do, but my buddy did it in his lil ultralight 12 footer and I just thought "what the he11, go for it" lol Definitely needs replacing now. My buddy says black is the best all around for airboats, I was just thinking a poly infused with silicone may help with sliding ability in those cases where I don't get the momentum I need to keep riding or when breaking free on tough surfaces

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Sun May 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Scuffed poly is def slicker than fresh and thats a fact but if its all humped like you say then its time for a new sheet but ill say this both tony and fl cracker have both told me the butter didnt make enough difference to talk about and both know their boats very well so id take their word once you get passed the sarcasm tony is generally on point with his posts you might wanna pay attention
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

ReelCracker
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ReelCracker » Sun May 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Bruce wrote:Scuffed poly is def slicker than fresh and thats a fact but if its all humped like you say then its time for a new sheet but ill say this both tony and fl cracker have both told me the butter didnt make enough difference to talk about and both know their boats very well so id take their word once you get passed the sarcasm tony is generally on point with his posts you might wanna pay attention

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but of the 25+ boats that are currently running it or that I applied it to, those two were the only ones that had a negative report.

second this post was about a kind of polymer or scuffed poly.....why is my product getting brought up just to get dogged on.

Tony why do YOU keep trying to dog my product. I'm not pushing it on anyone and I gave it to you for FREE to try and only asked you give your opinion on the product not the price. You didn't like it, you said that, fine. I didn't even want to waste my time letting you try it b/c I knew you'd say exactly what you did. So quit bringing it up every time someone talks about a slick bottom. From just what you've said so far 6 people have bought gallons from me just because you said you didn't like it. Give it a rest.

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Hog Guts » Sun May 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Just a quick note... You can get black, red, blue, etc poly with silicone if Teflon whatever they use - built in. I wouldn't describe the type of polymer by the color. There are some samples if the different ones made on the front desk at Hammant. I don't think wades sold on it but go feel it yourself I think it speaks for itself. My opinion is that it is permanently slicker as if you buttered it for life (parkay?). As far as the butter (SS) goes more people in SA and in person say it works than say it doesn't by a factor of at least 10:1 so.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dshaw94
Southern Airboat Member

Postby dshaw94 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:14 pm

I have heard all the guys say the same thing I'm seeing on this thread about how rough poly slides better than new poly. I think the confusion might be in how rough is rough. Scuffed ploy may slide better than brand new poly, I'm not sure; but rough hard worn, chewed on ploy doesn't slide for shit. I had an old chewed up sheet of 3/8" grey and when I replaced it not only did my boat run the hill 10 times better it ran the water much better to. As far as the blue iron goes, I know a few people who have it and seem to like it, I'm just not sure it's holds up when you do a cost benefit when compared to traditional uhmw Polyethylene.

Good Sliding
We all got it coming, kid. (William Money)

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Hog Guts » Sun May 04, 2014 11:27 pm

Hey this would make a good science experiment for my kid next year :) Test friction on 4 different surfaces with smooth and rough poly of both types.... I shouldn't of even given out the idea lol

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Mon May 05, 2014 6:25 am

I know with practically anything you buy, from a pair of shoes on up, it always has to be broken in to work, wear, whatever, optimally, but like you said, dshaw and Bruce...there's a difference. If it rode better being severely scratched and scarred, no one would ever replace theirs. I have done about as much research as I can, not being able to actually see any of it in person, Bruce. It is my understanding the color difference more differentiates them by hardness and other factors, just trying to get some opinions of those who have used the products. I'm sure there aren't many, if any who have tried them all and can say definitively what is the absolute best, but there are surely those who have used several different types.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Mon May 05, 2014 7:16 am

Hog Guts wrote:Hey this would make a good science experiment for my kid next year :) Test friction on 4 different surfaces with smooth and rough poly of both types.... I shouldn't of even given out the idea lol

Another thing to add take two smooth surfaces place together and they stick. So would the wet sand or mud act like a smooth surface.

To me i wont replace till its worn down to the bolts and needs replacing, that docent take that long. But really its not my call it not my boat.

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 am

radtech wrote:I know with practically anything you buy, from a pair of shoes on up, it always has to be broken in to work, wear, whatever, optimally, but like you said, dshaw and Bruce...there's a difference. If it rode better being severely scratched and scarred, no one would ever replace theirs. I have done about as much research as I can, not being able to actually see any of it in person, Bruce. It is my understanding the color difference more differentiates them by hardness and other factors, just trying to get some opinions of those who have used the products. I'm sure there aren't many, if any who have tried them all and can say definitively what is the absolute best, but there are surely those who have used several different types.

If its humped up and peeling its junk either it was installed wrong to be humped or its so paper thin in those spots theres not enough material to keep it rigid which means youre probably dragging screw heads
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Mon May 05, 2014 8:01 am

No one knows what the actual best is. There's data on all and opinions. You will really have do your home work. You can find information online about material properties additives.

Return to “Airboat Tech”