Poly knowledge?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Poly knowledge?

Postby farmboy » Mon May 05, 2014 9:26 am

Tony480 wrote:Scuffed up poly runs way better than new smooth poly

I will damn sure agree with that....
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Mon May 05, 2014 11:08 am

To Clear Things up with the Poly Butter. I gave my word that I personally would not trash talk about this stuff if it didn't work. As I stated in the past that this material did make a Little difference on Dry ground only. I did not see any difference on the green nasty sheet. When I first tried the butter it was still cool outside so now I know that's why the Dry running was a little easier. The past 2 weekends I have ran the river with now 3 coats of Butter on the Bottom and its still hard running and its still takes 2 gorillas to push my boat off the trailer. That being said I think Jeff is a helleva nice guy and I appreciate him getting new products out there for us to try. I hope everybody does well with it :salute:
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Mon May 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Bruce wrote:
radtech wrote:I know with practically anything you buy, from a pair of shoes on up, it always has to be broken in to work, wear, whatever, optimally, but like you said, dshaw and Bruce...there's a difference. If it rode better being severely scratched and scarred, no one would ever replace theirs. I have done about as much research as I can, not being able to actually see any of it in person, Bruce. It is my understanding the color difference more differentiates them by hardness and other factors, just trying to get some opinions of those who have used the products. I'm sure there aren't many, if any who have tried them all and can say definitively what is the absolute best, but there are surely those who have used several different types.

If its humped up and peeling its junk either it was installed wrong to be humped or its so paper thin in those spots theres not enough material to keep it rigid which means youre probably dragging screw heads

The poly is definitely not new. It was used when I bought the hull over a year ago. Those that know me know I'm hell on a boat bottom. Course sand, asphalt, logs, etc. And yes, there are some dragging screws...and some screws that are almost entirely missing the heads, even got grind marks in the actual boat bottom at center of transom. Definitely gonna have to replace it, but not gonna be this year

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Mon May 05, 2014 2:33 pm

If thats the case poly butter is a waste of money dont matter what u put on it if screws are draggin time to be savin for a new sheet
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Mon May 05, 2014 2:37 pm

Yeah, that was the whole purpose of this post. Really had nothing to do with the slide. I'm just trying it out. The point was to get opinions on silicone infused poly as compared to the standard black poly and any info from those who have used it on how well it holds up

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby fl cracker » Mon May 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Radtech, try and send Carmotor barge a PM. He is running the Red poly!
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Hamant / SV540

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Mon May 05, 2014 3:32 pm

will do, thanks

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby nebraskaairboater » Mon May 05, 2014 4:55 pm

I've ran the Blue Iron and now the Black from Polymer Systems and neither one was slicker than the other. The sheet from Polymer Systems was a whole lot less expensive too.

My cousin is running the Red stuff from the same place that sells the Blue Iron and he seems to like it. But it was even more expensive than the blue. He got that to match the color of his boat.

Dan
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 454 Chevy/ 2.38:1 OX Drive / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bdriller » Mon May 05, 2014 6:05 pm

Out of a large group of friends that boat together one replaced his polly with the blue, we run sand and gravel, we now find ribbons of blue on the rock bars from that boat, he is very dissapointed in the blue under these conditions

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Mon May 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. That's what I was looking for

SlideWayz
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SlideWayz » Mon May 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Tony480 wrote:You can't fix stupid Mark...he's done jumped on that poly butter band wagon....hope you use that lube on yourself cause that's the only thing that shits good for.

Sounds like Tony has let the cat outta the bag....Tony your supposed to put the poly butter on the polymer not the palm of your hand!!!LOL...JK :lol:
2015 DiamondBack
Fuel Injected 540
72" NGQ

ReelCracker
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ReelCracker » Mon May 05, 2014 9:15 pm

:thumbleft:

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby yobee » Mon May 05, 2014 9:18 pm

The old polys that cracked lacked a uv protection in them.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

ReelCracker
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ReelCracker » Mon May 05, 2014 9:55 pm

southern slide has a UV protectant in it to guard against just that problem. :)

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radtech » Mon May 05, 2014 9:56 pm

yobee wrote:The old polys that cracked lacked a uv protection in them.

Good to know, thanks yobee

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Mon May 05, 2014 11:04 pm

Radtech,

I've used the black Chicago dock stuff, yellow, green and red but haven't used any blue yet or a need to butter my bottom. I do like my results with half inch red hot and 3/8 quartz yellow and green on rip wrap lime rock and concrete and asphalt. The only draw back is paying that freaking shipping charge to get it to Florida especially when the mfg knows there may be a modest market market for it here to sell more and ignores it?
JMO but So far, a overwhelming demand has not proven very good for a lot of out of state vendors looking for free Disney tickets. If I could find who made the Chicago stuff in the early 90's I could retire next year selling it

theroller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby theroller » Mon May 05, 2014 11:42 pm

Poly comes in so many different colors these days it is hard to keep track of what is what. For the most part a color is just a color, and
is used to market a product. Black even comes in different grades as well. The more extra "stuff" you add to the polymer, the more you are
taking away from the actual properties of the polymer itself. That is why there is not a UHMW sheet out there that offers a 10% silicone additive.

I can attest that the silicone added to the UHMW does make it slicker in terms of handling. It is definitely a lot harder to roll up and handle
for shipping by yourself compared to a standard UHMW (we sell silicone black sheets as well) Whether that equates to better performance
in the field...I can't say for sure as I have heard people say that it makes all the difference, and I have heard others say it makes no difference.

Black is the most common color as it is the cheapest color pigment available, and it offers a natural UV inhibitor. And most of the UHMW polymer that is being sold for airboats is a reprocessed UHMW (black, blue, green, gray, etc...) As long as you are getting UHMW you really can't go wrong. UHMW is an awesome product in its original state regardless of additives. Just make sure it is UV stable.

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby Cowboy Rock » Tue May 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Roller,,, PM sent
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

Return to “Airboat Tech”