New to me, aluminum hull..

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

New to me, aluminum hull..

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:48 pm

I just got done swapping everything out from my old glass hull to this aluminum hull. I took it for a test ride yesterday and it porpoises.. My glass hull did too and I put a shim under the back edge of the poly and that helped a lot! My question is... I know you can bend the lip on the transom down to help get rid of the porpoising but will it stay like that or will it eventually work it's way flat again??? Should I bend the lip down or put a shim under the poly, like I did my old boat?
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: New to me, aluminum hull..

Postby yobee » Tue May 20, 2014 5:45 am

Bend the lip out at the sides of the bottom not the flat part that will hit ground.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Afflicted » Tue May 20, 2014 9:33 am

U don't have to bend it much, from my experience it doesn't even look like u bent it but the porpoise will b gone

badlybent
Southern Airboat Member

Postby badlybent » Tue May 20, 2014 9:59 am

i would shim the poly, but if it's revieted on (POLY) may be come a job. my proformance boat by AL David has no hop but when he built my boat he said that was one way to fix your problem. GIVE HIM A CALL AND ASK
NOT BROKE JUST BADLY BENT

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Southern Style » Tue May 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Agree, Don't bend it where it touches ground.. It will be bent back up if you run dry. But right where it curls up, bend that lip down. I carry a cressent wrench (the French kind.. lol). Open it just a tad bigger than the hull and poly. Slide it on and bend down slightly, then slide the wrench over and bend down again. Don't take much and it works just fine. No need to wedge, that's actually a lot compared to what your bending.
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

mMontana
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mMontana » Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 pm

I fought mine for a while till a man told me to pull up on my rear jacks that are about 6' forward of transom did it and problem solved as I pulled up slightly it would intern bend the last 6" of bottom down slightly didn't take much I bet the tail of the boat out at the lip only moved 1/8" or less, but boat ran great and turned 100 times better used to crow hop bad no more!! Just another idea if you got a jack in the back of motor stand or want to put one in good luck you will find what works keep experimenting!!

SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks for the help! I'll start with the cheapest and easiest first and go from there.. I'm hoping to have it all dialed in before Loughmans next weekend.
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

Ronaldregan
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Ronaldregan » Fri May 23, 2014 11:26 am

When I went from 454, 425hp to 418, 600hp ,took almost 450lbs. Out of boat it bounced so bad u could not control it or go wot. Bent the lip at transom very little ran great hard. To believe that little bending could make that much difference.

15/8 alumitech

Return to “Airboat Tech”