Stainless Steel Bottom vs Poly?????

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
GarHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Stainless Steel Bottom vs Poly?????

Postby GarHunter » Mon May 26, 2014 2:28 pm

why doesnt anyone use SS sheat on botom of boat instead of poly?? i would think that a thin sheet could be used with less fasteners than poly which would make it lighter. i would also think it would last longer and be just as slick?? anyone have any ideas about this or experience with it????

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Stainless Steel Bottom vs Poly?????

Postby Gary S » Tue May 27, 2014 6:51 am

Stainless is used on rock boats. The rocks they run would shred poly in no time. The park has taken over most of the area that most of these boats ran in so stainless isn't used as much. And actually the stainless is probably lighter. Don't remember the size but I think it was between 40 and 60 thousands.

Frog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Frog » Tue May 27, 2014 7:10 am

Stainless is not slicker than poly and as it heats up it gets really sticky. It can be slicker than poly with GatorGlide on it...that you can get at GatorGlide.com and GatorGlide is the only slick bottom ( that I know of) the will stick to stainless....booyaa :lol: :stirpot:

Eric Kimmel
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Eric Kimmel » Tue May 27, 2014 9:17 am

electrolyosis can also be a problem with using stainless lots of goriila snot between the stainless and aluminum helped slow that down. The rivits used are also harder monel or something like that
It would be great if the areas they used to run allowed access again

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby aherr520 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:09 pm

stainless sticks to much, my dad had a friend that tried it because they hunted hard down there and he had a hard time getting around they took it off pretty quick and went to poly no more problems after that. and if you put stainless and apply any kind of slick bottom your going to be redoing it alot
aaof member

GarHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Postby GarHunter » Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 am

so if i were running mostly rocks/gravel/sand SS would be better than poly? i dont run much dry grass but do some. and im not in salt water so would electrolysis stilll be an issue?

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby dougeey » Wed May 28, 2014 8:44 am

GarHunter wrote:so if i were running mostly rocks/gravel/sand SS would be better than poly? i dont run much dry grass but do some. and im not in salt water so would electrolysis stilll be an issue?

Yes. I had both S.S. And galv. Steel they lasted about the same but I took the alum . Bottom off and put on the galv. Sheet . With steel flex back then that was all we had. The stainless did eat away at the alum. rivets . I bolted the galv. I run boat for about 3years . Thanks. Doug

Return to “Airboat Tech”