Something to think about if new metal work is in your plans.

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
airboat233
Southern Airboat Member

Something to think about if new metal work is in your plans.

Post by airboat233 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:45 am

,,,Ok you are out riding along somewhere in some marsh. Just a nice relaxing look everwhere, and dont forget over there, ride. Then around a curve,, ahead its dry for a good ways but you can make it. Mat the gas and hold on. Your body bouncing to and fro like you are on the back of a bull. Then your across, whew I made it. Have you thought about your metal work being on the back of that same bull to? Thing is,,, it can't bounce to and fro like you were. Want to help it? Build your metal work with "brass". Not steel welded. Yes brass is more expensive but,,,brass will flex without as much compromise to the weld as steel. Steel will not flex. It will take some time before cracks and such start showing up. The brass (in most cases) will last as long as you have the metal work. So flex or not to flex? This is just one old mans "O".
Just trying to get things together to make another slide and last ride,,,airboat233

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Something to think about if new metal work is in your pl

Post by OneBFC » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:21 am

Alternatively, don't go fast across dry ground and ease your way through.

Better for the rider and the machine, regardless of contruction.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

airboat233
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat233 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:54 am

OneBFC wrote:Alternatively, don't go fast across dry ground and ease your way through.

I can,,, and my post is not about running the hill. I was stating a fact about a better way to build metal work. And if you tell me you just ease along on the hill all the time and lies to folks saying "I aint never been stuck" then I will say to you,,,You have never been on an airboat ride.
Just trying to get things together to make another slide and last ride,,,airboat233

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:08 am

Is that why the ol' school way was to braze the rigging rather than weld it?
Mine happens to be brazed…taught my boys when we were working on 'em. Not pretty, some drip, but strong. :lol:
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:18 am

I always braze EMT and my cage is about 15 or 16 yrs old. Welding will not flex and it will rust out a lot faster aswell ! And I have been stuck a lot other could not understand why I cairried a jeep jack on a airboat but is sounds like you would ! The new gen. Of air boaters buy not build ,builders are after speed so they weld. Thanks. Doug

woods and water
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by woods and water » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:23 am

Brass is goog but steel is not wrong I have built100s of met mid welded and some are 15 yrs old has well weld it right and braces it right

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:01 am

Brazing is done at a lower temperature than steel or wire welding. This is a two way street though. While the weld heats the steel much hotter, it is a smaller area with the exception of gas welding. Brazing is cooler but heats a larger area of the steel tubing.

Brass will not rust, period. Steel will. Areas around a braze will rust just like a steel weld will and both need to be protected/ painted.

I have always brazed my personal riggings and riggings for sale, however commercial rigs in the Seismic industry I was required to weld by our employer. Done correctly both will last but brass has a flexibility the steel doesn't have. There is not a huge difference in the shear strength of a braze and a weld and both will work harden and crack if not done so there is no flex or wiggle during regular running.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:43 pm

airboat233 wrote:
OneBFC wrote:Alternatively, don't go fast across dry ground and ease your way through.

I can,,, and my post is not about running the hill. I was stating a fact about a better way to build metal work. And if you tell me you just ease along on the hill all the time and lies to folks saying "I aint never been stuck" then I will say to you,,,You have never been on an airboat ride.
Well I do ease along and I guess I haven't found a spot bad enough yet because the boat in my sig has never been stuck.

That all being said, I offered another way to extend rigging life in addition to utilizing the superior toughness properties of brass over steel.

Comments were not aimed at saying you were wrong. Brass certainly flexes more than steel before failure.
-Russ
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional

airboat233
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat233 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:55 am

OneBFC wrote:
airboat233 wrote:

Well I do ease along and I guess I haven't found a spot bad enough yet because the boat in my sig has never been stuck.

That all being said, I offered another way to extend rigging life in addition to utilizing the superior toughness properties of brass over steel.

Comments were not aimed at saying you were wrong. Brass certainly flexes more than steel before failure.
Well its too bad that you have never been on a real airboat ride. To make the statement saying you have never been stuck tells me a great deal that I won't go into. I can tell just by the picture of your slug that you can be followed very easy by the slime trail it leaves. "FACT" there is no boat on the planet that will not get stuck. Be safe jerry renney

airboat233
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat233 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:57 am

glades cat wrote:Is that why the ol' school way was to braze the rigging rather than weld it?
Mine happens to be brazed…taught my boys when we were working on 'em. Not pretty, some drip, but strong. :lol:
Hey and thanks for reading, enjoy your rides and be safe. jerry renney

airboat233
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat233 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:05 am

woods and water wrote:Brass is goog but steel is not wrong I have built100s of met mid welded and some are 15 yrs old has well weld it right and braces it right
Hi and thanks for reading. I also agree with what you say. I myself have also built using steel. I was just giving some food for thought for anyone in starting a new build. Plus my post was just my opinion. Both ways are good. I just feel brass is better. Thanks for the reply and have a great day at what ever it is you enjoy doing. jerry renney

MonsterMudfish
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MonsterMudfish » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25 am

Out of curiosity... What is the weight difference? :scratch:
KCCO

airboat233
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat233 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:31 am

dougeey wrote:I always braze EMT and my cage is about 15 or 16 yrs old. Welding will not flex and it will rust out a lot faster aswell ! And I have been stuck a lot other could not understand why I cairried a jeep jack on a airboat but is sounds like you would ! The new gen. Of air boaters buy not build ,builders are after speed so they weld. Thanks. Doug
Hello doug, and thanks for reply. I like what you say about the jack. Let me tell you a little story. A friend of mine (RIP) had an old run out 0290 (125) ground power unit (GPU). Every time we went to lake we always would run a bunch of dry. Well I finally told david I was getting to old for that. Here is what we did. Purchase a small 2500 lb 12 volt winch for $50.00 weighs 5 lbs used for ATV's. Made a removable mount so when not in use could be stowed away. It mounted on front of boat. Carried a 2 inch snatch strap (as long as you want) to attach to the end of what cable was on the winch. When all connected it would pull his boat out of anything with out physical work. The reason for the strap was that it would stretch when things got tight and release and keep pulling without stalling the winch. If it did stop you just have to push down on the strap and off you go. Another one. If around green palm frons (the slickest thing there is), or limbs off trees. Place them in front of boat spaced apart. once bottom is on them just drive on. Be safe and have fun. jerry renney

airboat233
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat233 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:56 am

MonsterMudfish wrote:Out of curiosity... What is the weight difference? :scratch:
Hello, and thanks for reading. I dont really have the answer. I am for sure tho that a racer would not be concerned. Steel wire is by the pound on a roll, unless you use coat hangers and a torch which is what was used before the advent of the Mig. Plus I havent seen any metal coat hangers in a while either, (I am winking). Brass is also sold by the pound. My guess the weight using brass could be lighter. How much does it take of either one, depends on the metal work being built. In the end, I believe the diff will not be any noticeable diff. For sure not like having a 30 gallon fuel cell filled up and you run an average of only 15 gals per ride. Fuel weighing 8 lbs a gallon adds up to an extra 120 lbs of extra weight. Have a great one. jerry renney

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Well Jeremy, not sure why you are so cranky but you can check out some of the places my boat has traveled at this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/1bfc

There is no sprayer system on the boat as you insinuate I think . Also, many many people can attest to what this boat is capable of. It's not the perfect boat of course, never said it was. All I said was slowing down helps save your rigging. I have not attacked your suggestion at all. Why don't you lighten up a bit eh?

Here's one embedded here for ease of viewing.

Well its too bad that you have never been on a real airboat ride. To make the statement saying you have never been stuck tells me a great deal that I won't go into. I can tell just by the picture of your slug that you can be followed very easy by the slime trail it leaves. "FACT" there is no boat on the planet that will not get stuck. Be safe jerry renney
-Russ

airboat233
Southern Airboat Member

Post by airboat233 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:56 pm

OneBFC wrote:Well Jeremy, not sure why you are so cranky but you can check out some of the places my boat has traveled at this youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/1bfc

There is no sprayer system on the boat as you insinuate I think . Also, many many people can attest to what this boat is capable of. It's not the perfect boat of course, never said it was. All I said was slowing down helps save your rigging. I have not attacked your suggestion at all. Why don't you lighten up a bit eh?

Here's one embedded here for ease of viewing.

Hello agin, I in no way insinuated that you had a sprayer, which are useless anyway. What i did say is that IMO your boat is a slug, like a slug that crawls on the ground and leaves a slime trail. Also in viewing your vid, not only have you never been on an airboat ride but you have never seen any bad running before either. Also you have not a clue as to what airboating is about. I know I cant stop you from posting on a thread. So I will say "please" do not post on a thread I start. Thanks jerry renney

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Each of us has at our command the feature of not seeing another's posts. User Control Panel - Look at left list at the bottom, Manage Friends- Foes. Click on Foes and read and follow the instructions.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Well, it certainly takes all types I guess. Good luck to you Jeremy.
-Russ

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:05 pm

airboat233 wrote:
dougeey wrote:I always braze EMT and my cage is about 15 or 16 yrs old. Welding will not flex and it will rust out a lot faster aswell ! And I have been stuck a lot other could not understand why I cairried a jeep jack on a airboat but is sounds like you would ! The new gen. Of air boaters buy not build ,builders are after speed so they weld. Thanks. Doug
Hello doug, and thanks for reply. I like what you say about the jack. Let me tell you a little story. A friend of mine (RIP) had an old run out 0290 (125) ground power unit (GPU). Every time we went to lake we always would run a bunch of dry. Well I finally told david I was getting to old for that. Here is what we did. Purchase a small 2500 lb 12 volt winch for $50.00 weighs 5 lbs used for ATV's. Made a removable mount so when not in use could be stowed away. It mounted on front of boat. Carried a 2 inch snatch strap (as long as you want) to attach to the end of what cable was on the winch. When all connected it would pull his boat out of anything with out physical work. The reason for the strap was that it would stretch when things got tight and release and keep pulling without stalling the winch. If it did stop you just have to push down on the strap and off you go. Another one. If around green palm frons (the slickest thing there is), or limbs off trees. Place them in front of boat spaced apart. once bottom is on them just drive on. Be safe and have fun. jerry renney
. Jerry a lot of these new guys have no ideal about the coat hanger and borax to weld with! That was the first real wire feed welder! They might add to but they will all ways be adding to what the old timer came up with!! I have spent days in the glades and seen no one at all no cell phones no gps no VHF radio or cooler that keeps ice for longer then two days ! I have spent two days broke down with no help walked out got parts and walked back in to fix and drive boat out ! What we built at that time with what we had worked and are still working ,just think what we could of built with today's tech. You keep doing what you know will work when all else fails they will look to the past for answers Thanks Doug. PS most of the trails they run was made with are old boat!!!!

LJohnson
Southern Airboat Member

Post by LJohnson » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:36 pm

brazed conduit
220GPU, Big-O Hull

Return to “Airboat Tech”