flotation pod on airboat ?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
mgower15
Southern Airboat Member

flotation pod on airboat ?

Post by mgower15 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Anyone ever tried a float pod on airboat? My old panther hull sits pretty low in the rear from all the weight i carry. Figured a pod placed about 3" off bottom of transom to help clear obstacles ect would work ?

If your wondering about all they weight i went from gpu to dd 350 +generator+spare gas+tools+ a few hundred # of fish + the rest of my gear/cooler

mgower15
Southern Airboat Member

Re: flotation pod on airboat ?

Post by mgower15 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:59 pm

Nobody has Any input ... Good or bad ? Is it that stupid of a question ? :dontknow:

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:26 pm

I have seen them on outboard before but not on airboats I don't see why not as long as it don't cause drag! Doug

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:54 pm

they well extend the transome back, and with the rudder directly above the transome, the pods hanging back there will create drag when turning, and i think a much reduced reaction to turning. you turn the rudder and the back end slides over, pods will be a obsitcal to sliding over in turns. JMO. try it and let us know how it works, Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

mgower15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mgower15 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks for the replies guys .. I should have my boat mostly back together by the weekend then ill start building the pod

riverhunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by riverhunter » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:04 pm

im very close to putting a pod on the back of my boat. im actually going to try a small dock float bolted on before I get too serious about it. it will be 12" tall, 48 wide and extend 20 inches back.
The VA said I'm crazy, so I bought an airboat.

220 GPU , 13ft unlimited glassworks?, nasty lookin 70/32 paddle

wrench69
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by wrench69 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:15 pm

I know one boat here in texas that has what you are talking about. it was put on to help float a big block on a narrow hull it seems to work well from what i'am told.just seen the boat at friends place. never seen it in action.
16 by 8 Trailboss 5.3 liter, 78 in. 3 bld. power shift. 16x8 lonestar boat works 5.3liter 83 in. r 12x6 mini 4 banger member TAA 325,BRAB 56,RRAB 20

mgower15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mgower15 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:30 pm

riverhunter wrote:im very close to putting a pod on the back of my boat. im actually going to try a small dock float bolted on before I get too serious about it. it will be 12" tall, 48 wide and extend 20 inches back.
Have you figured up how much extra lift that would give you ?

mgower15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mgower15 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Wrench is there anyway you could get a picture ?

Blackcoffee
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Blackcoffee » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:31 pm

The only thing I wonder is if you hit something and they bent the transom in it could take out the prop.
GTO 14' Deckover

mgower15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mgower15 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:47 pm

Blackcoffee wrote:The only thing I wonder is if you hit something and they bent the transom in it could take out the prop.
Im going to raise it up 3" front bottom and angle it up .

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:33 pm

A cu. ft. of freshwater displaces about 62 lbs.
Calculate the volume (L x W x H) of your floatation pod at various submersion levels and multiply by 62 lbs/cu.ft. and you'll find the buoyancy.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

12PSI
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by 12PSI » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:37 pm

I saw one on a diesel powered boat, I don't think it would float without it.

riverhunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by riverhunter » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:10 pm

my float will add roughly 350lbs of buoyancy. when figuring don't forget to subtract the weight of the pod itself and the fact that it wont be completely submerged.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:31 pm

I have owned over 12 airboats and never had a need for a floatation.. I have always run aircraft so that's probably why. I have personally built the last 3 boats Ive owned and am seriously wondering if the hull is to small if a floatation devise is needed.. I am not trying to argue, I honestly am trying to learn something. Never heard or had a need... But never stop asking questions and learning.. Is the weight to much just for a ride boat? Or are you trying to adjust for hunting equipt and gear.. We run down here with 500 Cadi's on 12 and 13 foot hulls.. Shoot, there are some HUGE boats down here on 13-14 foot hulls and they run everywhere without an issue.. Are you running in huge waves? Trying to understand everything. Please don't yell at me, help educate me... I am seriously all ears.. I run 4 people on a 13 foot aluminum and I just pat the gas when slowing down and am perfectly fine..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by Cowboy Rock » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:46 pm

I have 2 fender buoys that I am putting under my transom lip in the back, to help lift the transom some with the backwash, in case it was to stall in deep water,,,

They are 8.5 x 27 inflatables, HTM,,,

Because they are not going to be hitting anything, I am going to fill them with Helium, at a little higher pressure,,,

I might even add 1 to the rear corners, at idle waterline, to add more stability during turning at low speed,,, They would be out of the water at anything close to plane,,,

This is something that I have been planning on doing for a while now and I just aint got around to it yet,,,

This thread reminded me to get off my butt and go do it,,,

Just relaxin' right now tho, with a cold one,,, It's 5 oclock somewhere,,,

:rebel: :GA:

Cowboy r
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 pm

I hate to be the party pooper and balloon popper, but if I recall
correctly, a cubic foot of helium will lift just a hair over 1 ounce.

Given less than a cubic foot per fender, I would expect that you will
not get any measurable amount of extra buoyancy over using air.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

divecaptchris1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by divecaptchris1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:45 pm

What about hydrogen :violent1: :toothy7:

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by Cowboy Rock » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:34 am

Not doubting you abit, Deano,,, I have the utmost respect for your knowledge,,, But,,,

Ya' know how when you just have things sitting in your shop, taking up space and you try to figger out something to do with it?

Well that was what made me think that I might help the fenders some with Helium,,, I have a 125 cf tank of helium sitting in my shop left over from my grandsons birthday party,,,

I'll do some experimenting with the Helium,,, Maybe fill one with air and one with Helium, and tie a weight to them and see which one floats higher,,,

I can pressurize both the same, add steel barbell weights to them until i get them to submerge,,,

Then compare notes,,, I will keep you informed,,, I am sure that Enquiring Minds want to know,,,

Slide safe my friends,,,

Cowboy r
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:37 am

Cowboy u have 14 feet deep side alum hull with a sbc i think u probably got all the flotation you could ever want why add more weight to an already over weight rig not tryin to knock you down here just trying to understand why i mean i get stability at low speed being nerve racking but thats the nature of an airboat jmo here
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ls1airboat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:47 am

Bruce wrote:Cowboy u have 14 feet deep side alum hull with a sbc i think u probably got all the flotation you could ever want why add more weight to an already over weight rig not tryin to knock you down here just trying to understand why i mean i get stability at low speed being nerve racking but thats the nature of an airboat jmo here
x2 bruce a 14 ft shouldnt have any problems with a sbc.

mgower15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mgower15 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Southern Style wrote:I have owned over 12 airboats and never had a need for a floatation.. I have always run aircraft so that's probably why. I have personally built the last 3 boats Ive owned and am seriously wondering if the hull is to small if a floatation devise is needed.. I am not trying to argue, I honestly am trying to learn something. Never heard or had a need... But never stop asking questions and learning.. Is the weight to much just for a ride boat? Or are you trying to adjust for hunting equipt and gear.. We run down here with 500 Cadi's on 12 and 13 foot hulls.. Shoot, there are some HUGE boats down here on 13-14 foot hulls and they run everywhere without an issue.. Are you running in huge waves? Trying to understand everything. Please don't yell at me, help educate me... I am seriously all ears.. I run 4 people on a 13 foot aluminum and I just pat the gas when slowing down and am perfectly fine..
First off please ignore my lack of writing skills/punctuation ... if it was a ride boat im 99% positive i could run this boat and never worry a bit..but ive got and extra 1000+ lbs of weight before any body is in the boat add another 800ish lbs for people. One of the rivers i fish often has pretty strong winds /waves and when im idling around and those waves hit my transom wrong and come in the boat its a bad feeling lol. A bigger hull would be the best choice... But i can only afford what i got right now. So if the float pod helps keep my rear a couple more inches out of the water and the boat planes and turns good .. Ill be happy ! And id never yell at anybody on this forum ive only been around airboating about 4 months .. Never touched one before i bought mine.. And yeah im the only one around me with a airboat so this forum is all i have,to go by plus my common sense and semi decent fab skills lol

riverhunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by riverhunter » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:53 pm

my reasoning for adding the pod is similar. I hunt very large rivers with somewhat fast currents at times. I run in water 30' and deeper half of the time. I have to deal with barge wake and rough water at times. when I have to make slow turns in rough water that's 50' deep I would love to have the extra flotation.
saying all of that, I havnt killed myself yet operating in this environment so I guess its not needed, more of a want. if I did it all over again I would get a 16' high sided air-ranger or something similar and not worry so much about it.

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 pm

mgower15 wrote:
Southern Style wrote:I have owned over 12 airboats and never had a need for a floatation.. I have always run aircraft so that's probably why. I have personally built the last 3 boats Ive owned and am seriously wondering if the hull is to small if a floatation devise is needed.. I am not trying to argue, I honestly am trying to learn something. Never heard or had a need... But never stop asking questions and learning.. Is the weight to much just for a ride boat? Or are you trying to adjust for hunting equipt and gear.. We run down here with 500 Cadi's on 12 and 13 foot hulls.. Shoot, there are some HUGE boats down here on 13-14 foot hulls and they run everywhere without an issue.. Are you running in huge waves? Trying to understand everything. Please don't yell at me, help educate me... I am seriously all ears.. I run 4 people on a 13 foot aluminum and I just pat the gas when slowing down and am perfectly fine..
First off please ignore my lack of writing skills/punctuation ... if it was a ride boat im 99% positive i could run this boat and never worry a bit..but ive got and extra 1000+ lbs of weight before any body is in the boat add another 800ish lbs for people. One of the rivers i fish often has pretty strong winds /waves and when im idling around and those waves hit my transom wrong and come in the boat its a bad feeling lol. A bigger hull would be the best choice... But i can only afford what i got right now. So if the float pod helps keep my rear a couple more inches out of the water and the boat planes and turns good .. Ill be happy ! And id never yell at anybody on this forum ive only been around airboating about 4 months .. Never touched one before i bought mine.. And yeah im the only one around me with a airboat so this forum is all i have,to go by plus my common sense and semi decent fab skills lol

Time to cut the fat or make multiple trips 1800 is a heavy load especially with such little experience
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Now I understand yall's need for the floatation.. That deep of water PLUS over 1800 lbs of weight?? WOW, Man, that would pucker even the experienced driver. NO WAY !!! I bitch at the wife if I gotta take 4 people for a ride outside the skinny trails.. LOL.. Nothin I hate worse than an overloaded boat in deep water. Plus, barge waves and high wind?? Yall can have that !! Wish you guys the best on getting a solution. Keep us posted. That kind of conditions would take the fun out of running an airboat, in my opinion.... Y'all be safe, seriously!! Be safe in them deep waters with white caps.. I will stick to the Cypress Swamp trails..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Return to “Airboat Tech”