flotation pod on airboat ?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Re: flotation pod on airboat ?

Post by Prototype » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:58 pm

mgower15 wrote:Anyone ever tried a float pod on airboat? My old panther hull sits pretty low in the rear from all the weight i carry. Figured a pod placed about 3" off bottom of transom to help clear obstacles ect would work ?

If your wondering about all they weight i went from gpu to dd 350 +generator+spare gas+tools+ a few hundred # of fish + the rest of my gear/cooler

Look up my bumper post in the mini section! It was created so I can launch off steep banks. Boat ramps is kind of a rarity on my end and dry launching also works but a peanut gore front end is about 3.5 feet wide so bow first is not so good at times.

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by Cowboy Rock » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:36 am

Bruce, you are right again, as you always are concerning airboats,,, You have all of my respect,,,

I will never have as much stick time as you and several others on here,,, That is why I try to learn as much from you guys as I can,,,

I lost my Mentor and good friend when Cntry141 passed, he took me in and was helping me alot,,, I sure miss my Pal...

My main concern is when riding in the deep lakes, and when it is high water in the river,,,

It is like toting my weapon, I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it,,,

All we have up here to run is the rivers and lakes,,,

I sure would hate to be hauling butt across Lake Jackson and for it to stall, and the backwash to come over the lip,,,

Plus there are some pretty big boats up here,,, (nothing as big as ya'll are used to tho)

I would have to have divers to go down and search for it,,,

My boat is HEAVY with all of the stuff that I carry in it, that is required since most of our riding is alone, and a long ways from each other,,,

Again Bruce, I value your opinion on everything concerning an Airboat,,, Thank you,,,

:rebel: :GA:

Cowboy r
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:42 am

Cowboy Rock wrote:Bruce, you are right again, as you always are concerning airboats,,, You have all of my respect,,,

I will never have as much stick time as you and several others on here,,, That is why I try to learn as much from you guys as I can,,,

I lost my Mentor and good friend when Cntry141 passed, he took me in and was helping me alot,,, I sure miss my Pal...

My main concern is when riding in the deep lakes, and when it is high water in the river,,,

It is like toting my weapon, I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it,,,

All we have up here to run is the rivers and lakes,,,

I sure would hate to be hauling butt across Lake Jackson and for it to stall, and the backwash to come over the lip,,,

Plus there are some pretty big boats up here,,, (nothing as big as ya'll are used to tho)

I would have to have divers to go down and search for it,,,

My boat is HEAVY with all of the stuff that I carry in it, that is required since most of our riding is alone, and a long ways from each other,,,

Again Bruce, I value your opinion on everything concerning an Airboat,,, Thank you,,,

:rebel: :GA:

Cowboy r
I will give you this though if it makes you feel better give it a shot if it effects performance to much you can always un do it just remember the titanic sunk too it can happen no matter how many precautions you take and by the way thanks for the vote of confidence i appreciate it
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:44 am

With 4 months experience you should not be taking 2 or three extra people with you. And I can't imagine how you get 1000 lbs extra weight on the boat. Make it light and don't run a neighborhood tour boat until your comfortable doing what you do. If the water is that deep you also might want to invest is some comfortable life vest and wear them while out on the river.
And as far as punctuation don't worry about it. James doesn't.

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:08 am

I,m not sure if James can spell punkunation. :lol: :D :rebel:

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:27 am

1800lbs of extra weight is common in bowfishing boats. Let me think, mine I'll say 4ppl an generator-1000lb, lights and ballasts lets say 30lb each an there's 7 that's 210lb, at least 300lb of tools, toolbox an other general crap, then u got bows, barrels ect say 100lb then have a good night fishing and u'll be adding 1000lb + to that... Not considering gas I'm looking at 1600lb not including a single fish. An mostly deep water, depending on the water body
Edit, almost forgot the big pelican cooler full of drinks is over 100lb

duckyager
Southern Airboat Member

Post by duckyager » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Built a pod for my boat. Love it. No downside. 600 lbs of flotation. Made it with a kicker motor mount. Great step for climbing back in the boat. Helps break the wave when decelerating. Great place to set the ducks. Yes it's a diesel boat. Yes it floated before I put in on. With 900 ft lbs of torque I don't care what it weighs. Like I tell my buddys with their cute little a/c boats," when your little boat breaks we'll put inside mine and I'll carry it home"
Attachments
2012-10-19 17.12.00.jpg
2012-09-28 15.15.11.jpg
" The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to let the subjected people carry arms." Adolph Hitler, Mar. 18, 1938

mad_mike
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mad_mike » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:07 pm

Duckyager, do you have a stern view pic of that pod on boat that isn't all fowled up? What is it 12 or 18" and does the bottom sheet of your boat run continuous to the end of it?
Also like the SS O/U in the pic.

duckyager
Southern Airboat Member

Post by duckyager » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Can get you a better pic and measurements on monday. The pod is a couple inches up from the bottom of the boat. I think it's at least 18", maybe more.

I hunt about 50 or 60 days straight in canada and the stainless ruger is the only gun I've found that holds up with a minimum amount of maintenance. Too bad they quit making them.
" The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to let the subjected people carry arms." Adolph Hitler, Mar. 18, 1938

mgower15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mgower15 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:55 am

Thanks for all the replies fellows . I havent been on in awhile. I tore the boat down to bare hull and started redoing everything. Ill have pictures to post within a week or two . Ive got a pod to build.. A deck to paint and to finish my cage and ill be on the water!
I did cut weight as much as i could on this build

Return to “Airboat Tech”