Well that didn't go well

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Well that didn't go well

Post by :) » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:27 pm

So as some may have known or saw my other threads, I been rebuilding a boat for a couple months. Went out for my first shakedown run this afternoon and I love the boat! Ran awesome! She's up on the nose just a little at almost wot but no biggie, just a small adjustment. Came back to the ramp to check things over a little after a short run. Wot was about 46-4700 and the cruise was about 3-3200 at a good fast cruise. Stay on plane about 2600. I loved that part, my big Kennedy was struggling to stay up at 3500 so a lower cruise was greatly welcomed. So after looking over everything I thought I'd go for another quick ride before loading up. Coming off the bank I heard the motor get much louder than normal and "southbound125" was giving me the signal to shut down. Damn flex came loose off the header and got all 3 leading edges of the prop. Did I mention this was a first run for the prop too? Just got it back from whirlwind! Dang my luck! Now I can't say enough of the toughness of these blades, not a scratch on the blades them selves but it dented and bubbled all 3 edges. I'm sick to my stomach right now!!
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

signcoc43
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Well that didn't go well

Post by signcoc43 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:05 pm

Just when I thought I would finally get to ride and meet up with some n Florida guys, you gotta do a shakedown run!!! Lol. That sucks but already its just leading edges and nobody got hurt.
12 foot hamant fuel injected pe-90 520 conversion swinging a 68" ngq!!
" Yes my boat is slow!!!"

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Don't feel like the first one that has had that lump in your stomach.
I know that's between little and no consolation, but it's true nevertheless.

After having had a similar experience and dealing with the closest cooler of beer, it occurred to me that it's easy and effective to drill a small hole thru the band clamp into the header (or muffler, or transom dump) and put a SS set screw in the hole thru them both. Prevents anything from sliding apart and easy to disassemble if and when the need arises.

Still . . . glad to hear nobody got hurt and everything else is still intact.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:42 pm

Deano wrote:Don't feel like the first one that has had that lump in your stomach.

After having had a similar experience and dealing with the closest cooler of beer, it occurred to me that it's easy and effective to drill a small hole thru the band clamp into the header (or muffler, or transom dump) and put a SS set screw in the hole thru them both. Prevents anything from sliding apart and easy to disassemble if and when the need arises.

Yes will be running a self tapper or something through there. Also thinking about welding some bullet style mufflers right to the header. Any downsides to that?
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

ddriver
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ddriver » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:50 am

puts a lot of weight on headers and when you do a little jump on dry that hard hit might crack a header.

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:12 am

I think I just didn't have it shoved on the header far enough.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:19 am

ddriver wrote:puts a lot of weight on headers and when you do a little jump on dry that hard hit might crack a header.
I run ebay shorty headers in an up-stack configuration with magnaflow's and have had no problems with it what so ever. Bullets will be a walk in the park and I personally would never put my exhaust in the cage :thumbleft:
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:24 am

:) wrote:
Deano wrote:Don't feel like the first one that has had that lump in your stomach.

Yes will be running a self tapper or something through there. Also thinking about welding some bullet style mufflers right to the header. Any downsides to that?
If you use band clamps the self tapper is a must and a big downside to straight exhaust on a cm is the drone from runnin down the water at 3k and it echoing inside the boat
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:44 am

Just a loop of stainless 3/8 cable and a cable clamp to the cage helps keep flex pipes out of props. That cable can also keep your aircleaner out of the prop. But I sure feel for you. Hopefully you can get your prop refurbished

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, will be doing something a little different this time..

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:50 pm

most workboats i've seen have a tac weld holding the flex to the clamp and a tac holding the header to the clamp.
i been forgetting to do this to mine.

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:38 pm

jopete wrote:most workboats i've seen have a tac weld holding the flex to the clamp and a tac holding the header to the clamp.
i been forgetting to do this to mine.
Not mine u bolt clamps top and bottom
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Granted, a work boat would be a different situation given somebody knows where you are and/or you can call a service boat/truck if you have a problem.

Otherwise, IMO, it is better to avoid welding things that don't need to be. If something happens miles from a ramp, odds are pretty good I ain't gonna have a cutting torch and welder with me. For me, U-bolts, band-clamps, and set screws have worked just fine for very many years. You never know where or why you may want to take something apart or need to disassemble/fix/repair something in order to get back in.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Good point Deano!

Return to “Airboat Tech”