lip on transome

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
rcm243
Southern Airboat Member

lip on transome

Post by rcm243 »

I`ve noticed on some boats that there is a lip or splash rail, does this keep the back wash from going over in the boat as you come off plane? I`m considering putting one on my boat if this is effective. RCM
Politicians are like whores,as long as the money`s available they`re there for you.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: lip on transome

Post by Deano »

I don't know if it is the primary reason in all cases, but in many cases it is there to provide stiffness to the transom. It may help with a following wake in some instances, but I don't believe that is it's primary purpose.

In an outboard application you have transom bracing for obvious reasons. In I/O and inboard applications, you generally have bracing and decking. In an airboat application the only purpose the transom really serves is to keep the water out of the hull. There is no great structural aspect to the transom.

Given the lack of structural support (from decking or otherwise) the transom simply needs to be braced sufficiently for it to push the hull forward when there is a following wake and to prevent the prop wash from breaking it. In other words, strong enough to prevent wobble and bowing, but light enough to not contribute massively to the total weight of the hull. It serves as a 'stiffener' of sorts. The trailing transom lip is able to perform these functions without taking away usable space from where the prop runs and/or contributing greatly to the weight of the hull.

If adding a lip to your hull would give you pieces of mind, then by all means go ahead and do it.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

rcm243
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rcm243 »

Deano wrote:I don't know if it is the primary reason in all cases, but in many cases it is there to provide stiffness to the transom. It may help with a following wake in some instances, but I don't believe that is it's primary purpose.

In an outboard application you have transom bracing for obvious reasons. In I/O and inboard applications, you generally have bracing and decking. In an airboat application the only purpose the transom really serves is to keep the water out of the hull. There is no great structural aspect to the transom.

Given the lack of structural support (from decking or otherwise) the transom simply needs to be braced sufficiently for it to push the hull forward when there is a following wake and to prevent the prop wash from breaking it. In other words, strong enough to prevent wobble and bowing, but light enough to not contribute massively to the total weight of the hull. It serves as a 'stiffener' of sorts. The trailing transom lip is able to perform these functions without taking away usable space from where the prop runs and/or contributing greatly to the weight of the hull.

If adding a lip to your hull would give you pieces of mind, then by all means go ahead and do it.
This makes good sense to me, but when I come off plane in deep water I normally throttle up enough to keep the wake from over taking the boat so as not to take on 3 gal. of water. RCM
Politicians are like whores,as long as the money`s available they`re there for you.

MonsterMudfish
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MonsterMudfish »

Most all airboats have this problem... Its just part of it :florida:
KCCO

Cowboy Rock
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by Cowboy Rock »

When you are hauling Arse at full plane and the engine fails, the rear splash lip is a blessing in disguise, if you dont have time to jump to the front of the boat,,,

Slide safe my friends,,,

Cowboy r
Wet Dreams Too,,,

14 ft. Panther,,, 370ci SBC, 72 in Whirlwind Whispertip, Line-X-350 X bottom,,,

"Full bloodied Dog hunting man"

Dry Branch, Ga.

Thats how I roll,,,

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

it will give you a good place to mount your rudders also.

Return to “Airboat Tech”