Go Right to Avoid Collision

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Go Right to Avoid Collision

Post by Ol Yeller » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Can we all agree that when airboating in the U S we should alway go right to avoid a collision with another boat? Never ever, no matter what, go left!
If you can't go right, go straight and hope and pray the other guy goes right.
If we almost collide and you go right and get stuck, I promise I will take the rest of the day to help unstick you and won't leave.
This rule is a must for airboaters because most of us can't hear anything while running. So when two boats meet at a corner or narrow trail with little visibility there's not much time to think. The stay right rule might just help.

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Go Right to Avoid Collision

Post by junglecat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Never wrong if you both go right
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

justin m
Southern Airboat Member

Post by justin m » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:49 pm

junglecat wrote:Never wrong if you both go right

X2
A/V 540 on a 13ft Navigator hull, swingin a 72" 2 blade WW signature series. Go boat, not a show boat.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:50 pm

My instincts would be to pull the rudder stick back. Just doesn't seam right to push out bringing your body out of the seat more. I don't know that normal but i tend to think your faster at pulling back instead of pushing out. I would think a normal reaction is to pull back? So whats your normal reaction?

Really were talking not thinking just reacting what would be your normal reaction?

For me i say it right now going right would be a hesitation just an unnatural reaction. Don't need to be flying down trails anyways just fast enough to stay on plain.

JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by JCGator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:04 pm

terrible ted wrote:My instincts would be to pull the rudder stick back. Just doesn't seam right to push out bringing your body out of the seat more. I don't know that normal but i tend to think your faster at pulling back instead of pushing out. I would think a normal reaction is to pull back? So whats your normal reaction?

I hear ya! It is not natural to push forward or hit the gas in an eminent collision so i just try to keep it on the front of my brain when going around blind corners and tight trails. Also i wear electronic earmuffs so i can slow down in a trail and at low RPM's the microphone turns back on and i can check. these were only $30 or so at bpro. I tend to be able to see someone coming from their prop blast scaring birds and sending vegetation in the air! no perfect system but everything helps. and lastly, SLOW DOWN & SLIDE SAFE! 8)
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs

JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by JCGator » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Oh yeah and also get uninsured boater coverage in your boat insurance... I only have liability insurance for mine and at $100 a year it helps me sleep at night... :thumbleft:
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:20 pm

That’s the problem, inexperienced boaters don’t think and experienced boaters due. If you have situational awareness you can watch a situation develop even if you only have seconds, and an experienced boater isn’t going to go flying around a blind curve. All it takes is a little thinking, and experience to give yourself muscle memory for the right situations. Of course accidents due happen.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:24 pm

I've always heard push away or go right to avoid an oncoming boat. This works for me no matter what speed because I run an AC motor with no gear box so no matter what speed I'm going when I mash the gas the boat rolls to the right side and lifts the lefts side making right turns easier. I was out on Saturday and saw CM boat that torque rolled to the left so bad when he mashed the gas I'd think if he pushed the stick forward and floored it he would do a high side roll.
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gso480jr » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:28 pm

I always say go right on an encounter in trails. Just operate the boat in such a manner that both could come to an idle when in sight of each other. Yes that means off plane in corners, sorry. We all want to be able to see another day on our airboat!
Last edited by gso480jr on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:50 pm

PUSH RIGHT not left,natural reaction pull left? Bullshit!!! I would run up in myrtles or whatever to avoid a airboat collision,rather b bruised up from some limbs then b hamburger from a prop!

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

PUSH RIGHT not left,natural reaction pull left? Bullshit!!! I would run up in myrtles or whatever to avoid a airboat collision,rather b bruised up from some limbs then b hamburger from a prop!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:58 pm

I can not believe what I am reading !!! :shock:

-[ Flame Proof Suit On ]-
one guy wrote:My instincts would be to pull the rudder stick back. Just doesn't seam right to push out . . . i tend to think your faster at pulling back . . .
another guy wrote:I hear ya! It is not natural to push forward or hit the gas in an eminent collision . . .
Turning to the right is akin to going to the shoulder of the road,
and the fastest way to turn an airboat is to accelerate while you are doing it.

Turning left is the same as saying "When in doubt, steer into oncoming traffic". :slap:

If common sense, historical precedents, and what everyone is taught are not enough for you consider this:
You will NEVER convince me, the FWC, the court system, and/or a jury that you acted responsibly if the other boat 'went right' and you did absolutely anything other than that.

Liability has gotten to be an ugly word, but is the reality in the world in which we live.
If you value your toys, home and family's well being as much as I do mine, you should practice accelerating to the right and always leave yourself room to do so. I you can't leave yourself that much room, it may be time to consider if you really need to put yourself in that position :idea: .

I try not to jump on the soapbox, but I have personally been nearly run down twice over the years after I went to the right and the other boat did not. Both times it was as if the bastard was trying to run me down. There is a narrow part of the local river here that I never run anymore just because the weekend warriors don't know which side to be on. And don't think weekend warriors don't take days off and go boating during the week either.

There is no substitute for seat time and practice. If turning right and/or accelerating is not reflex, and requires conscience thought to overcome some nonsensical instinct, then a person needs to be getting quite a bit more of both (seat time and practice).

-[ Rant Off ]-
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:18 pm

I agree, Deeno. I can't say I'm a lifetime airboater or as experienced as some, but operating the stick has become second nature for me, to the point that it requires no actual thought. Avoiding obstacles or other boats is relatively easy. If your instinct isn't to turn right to avoid another boat coming at you, you definitely need more experience

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Well said deano,just last tues took the lady for an afternoon ride & as we had 1 more stop to make on our route b4 the ramp was on a skinny reed trail & as soon as it opened up & I went ta round a corner bam theres a rake comin around I go to push right & guess what the other boat goes left cut rt across my bow so I pull bk left to avoid,this same scenario happened last yr on opening of black powder to a buddy of mine which ended up in a wreck,my buddy goes right the other boat goes left,his 13yr old son was airlifted out but is ok,couldnt believe I was reading these responses either!

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:27 pm

Inexperienced is right on time, the last yahoo I met in a corner went left instead of right and it was close. Go right, that straght crap don't work either, last one did that hit me and I was the one f@@@ up. Go right go right go right, get the experience to make it natural, save yourself and everyone else you may meet in a trail. First hand, while everyone has to learn try not to do it at the expense of injury to others, a chunk of prop in the back sucks, so if you don't have the boating skills take a class and learn the rules, whatever feels more natural to you for steering by all means set it up that way so you are comfortable, it only takes a second to change life forever.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

BluByU2
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by BluByU2 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:07 pm

NEVER PULL THE STICK, AND GO LEFT if you're facing a collision! That will get people killed! I've said this before also; If you are running along the shoreline, around blind curves, and the shore is on your left (port) side, you better leave enough room for another boat to pass between you, and the shore because the oncoming boat won't have anywhere to go except into the woods. Rules of right of way are the same for all vehicles, and vessels.

Stewie
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Stewie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:13 pm

I can't believe what I'm reading either I'm in:shock: I PRAY TO GOD! ONE GUY & ANOTHER GUY ""NEVER MEET IN THE SAME TRAIL"" :violent1: or meet any other airboat in any trail!!! Lord help the :tool: that ever turned left when I turn right to avoid a collision in the trail!!!

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:17 pm

pullin the stick back is second nature?!?!?!?!?! good god you mean i been doin it wrong all the these years hmm...
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:00 pm

JCGator wrote:Oh yeah and also get uninsured boater coverage in your boat insurance... I only have liability insurance for mine and at $100 a year it helps me sleep at night... :thumbleft:
What insurance company do you have?

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:18 pm

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT.... Never had a head on collision in tight trails because I (and every other airboater) has followed this simple rule.. And then came the day in middle trail (by tomato ditches) when I went RIGHT and the SOB went LEFT... Yea, we smacked broadside to broadside.. Scarred the wife to the point she was crying..

RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT... PLEASE, GO RIGHT...
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

junglecat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by junglecat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:31 pm

No wonder there are so many near misses anymore. You both turn right and NO ONE CROSSES the others' path. Pulling back , turning left feels more natural? …… turning board side in front of an oncoming boat feels natural.

Get in the boat by yourself and practice evasive moves to the right till it becomes second nature , then you will be ready to have passengers.
Jungle Cat2 2012 Panther Thunder 14'x7'9"/ LiL John Rigging
Larry Smith built 427 SBC
2.68 Ox Box
82" 3 blade R
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

nomad41
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by nomad41 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 pm

It's call rules of the road. It's a law to turn right. Ask the coast guard. You will be charged if you turn left and cause an accident
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nomad41/
Treasurer FAA
Member:FAA, KRVSA ,IRCAA, FSCA

My old boat 14.5x8 Diamondback ,SBC Stroker,2.68 Stinger,Sensenich 82" R
Svcliche@yahoo.com

Bubba
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bubba » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:43 pm

nomad41 wrote:It's call rules of the road. It's a law to turn right. Ask the coast guard. You will be charged if you turn left and cause an accident
DING DING DING we have a winner!
FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:03 pm

If everyone is riding on the right side then go right would just be the way I wanted to go.. I never been in a real pinch before. I'm never in a big hurry to get anywhere and I like to think I always look way ahead. I know this stuff eventually happens to most of us, I just been lucky so far. Now if ur on the right side and somebody comes from the other way on ur side I'm sure it's hard to go right if if don't look right in the moment.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Bubba wrote:
nomad41 wrote:It's call rules of the road. It's a law to turn right. Ask the coast guard. You will be charged if you turn left and cause an accident
DING DING DING we have a winner!

Yes it is but i saying in an actually situation your instincts may take over seen it before. Experience in the heat of the moment for some wont matter.

I got My first boat i got in 1980. If you flying down trails your the problem no matter what.

Return to “Airboat Tech”