tell me how to build the best boat for 10K

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
whiteriverrambo
Southern Airboat Member

tell me how to build the best boat for 10K

Post by whiteriverrambo »

I bowfish, so i need to be safe in deep water. its just me and my wife so a 13-14' boat should be fine. Ill be building this boat from scratch. im thinking a 84" wide floor, 106" wide beam, and extra deep 28" sides. aluminum with 3/8 poly. i want to be quiet as possible so more than 3 extra wide blades moving slow. I will be running DC lights so would prefer a automotive power plant. question is what is the best, cheap motor that will give me what im looking for. ill probly be looking to buy a salvage motor. Ill need help with the best prop and belt drives as well. what holds up the best at the lowest price. thanks for your help.

whiteriverrambo
Southern Airboat Member

Re: tell me how to build the best boat for 10K

little bit about me-

i live in southern indiana, have been bowfishing for 21years. built my first boat from scratch 2 years ago and my first pusher fan this spring. love the pride and everything that goes with building every inch of a boat. And being able to go where most dont dare is pretty cool too. As you can imagine there is very little "air" up here. If you do see a airboat its usually a little glass boat with a airplane engine. A far cry from what im dreaming of. my knowledge is minimal but im a quick study.

mwood7800
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mwood7800 »

Just to be a realist, take the 10k and buy the best boat for the money, then spend another 3 to 5k rebuilding or replacing the motor. No way to build a boat for 10k.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

best buy is to buy a sbc boat, you can find older ones with 2;1 belt drive, and stump puller, something like that should be doable. then you can upgrade to a S blade, etc. might have to drive to florida to get it, but thats only a day or two from your area isn't it, consider it a vacation. if you want a dd boat, go with a caddy, and should be ok also. expect that you may have to rebuild the motor in the first year, lot of those in that price range are pretty well worn out or lots of hours. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Thunder200
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Thunder200 »

I got $4800 in my hull alone. so as Mwood7800 said buy a boat that is already for sale and start your mods from there. There is no possible way to build a boat for $10k. Not even close to doable.

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ls1airboat »

i would say buy one already built and running for 10k.. a glass boat with a sbc..i dont think you could build the boat your wanting for 10k..i wish you all the best on your new boat. :rebel:

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

I think he's talking about building it completely from scratch; fabricating the hull and rigging himself. If that's the case, I can see it possible for $10,000 with the use of a junkyard engine, and used parts from the classifieds section.

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 »

You 100% can build a budget boat for 10k if you do everything yourself. To build a hull that size is roughly $2500 in material, stainless tubing at most is $800, used 2 blade pshift $1000 for direct drive application "you aint getting a 3 blade and gear box for the 10k", used Cadillac engine low miles $750, new headers and exhaust system, new carb, new ignition system, cooling system, $1500, prop adapter used $100, battery, seat shells, rudders, fuel system, gauges, switches and wiring $1250.00, trailer material $800, and that brings us to a grand total of.....$8700.00, now that's with you doing all the work yourself and having someone with a shear and a break that will let you break the hull up....Now with the old BOAT rule of "break out another thousand" we still are under your 10k budget....If it was me though I would buy something already up and running and do a little fix up work to it.

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

I agree.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Budget wise, I have to agree it would behoove you to buy something and go from there.

It may look on the front side like you'll make your 10k mark,
but ultimately in the end you will probably not even be close.
DD may be possible with a Caddy, but by the time you add any kind
of reduction and the blades you reference, that's another 3k anyway.

In any case, good luck with your build; you're in the right place to ask questions. :thumbleft:

stroked470 wrote: . . . used Cadillac engine low miles $750 . . .
I for one, am skeptical of finding 40 yr old engines that fit those parameters. :scratch:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bdriller »

I was probly lucky but i bought 2 76 caddy cars for 1 k , pulled first one in shop put hot battery in it poured fresh fuel in carb vent tube cut fuel line under frame and stuck in a 2 gallon can and fired it up , no smoke no knock hit on all 8 , pulled engine with car still on trailer then took body to scrap yard it brought 525, second done the same way it smoked went to a differnt scrap yard with it and it brought 475, put bearings and new cam and timing chain in first one the second got the same plus hone ring job i was happy with results

whiteriverrambo
Southern Airboat Member

thanx for the replys. yea I can fab up the whole think. nothing but time. I figure hull, poly, and rigging built from nothing would be bout 5k. the rest im sure will go quick just not sure where to start. done need to run dry just want to be safe reliable and up on plane with a good load. ive been doing research on ecotec, the Suzuki 1.8, and others that weigh very little and are reliable but ive not looked around to see what a salvage LS would go for. was wanting a mini boat, dragonflies look awsome just not sure I'd be happy with a tiny 100 hp engine. the ecos from what ive read on here are either a joke or the greatest thing for a boat since poly. depending on what side of the fence you sit. can someone tell me is there a magic number for hp-weight ratio I should shoot for as a minimum? im planning on a reasonable estimate 2000lb hull.

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by dblj006 »

In the May/June AIRBOATING Magazine there is a good example of a "budget build" under $10,000.
Broke.

zrackers
Southern Airboat Member

Post by zrackers »

My advice is to find a hull and rigging to fit your needs in the classifieds. It may take a while and you'll have to go to FL to get it but you can do what you want after that. I bought a 2013 panther hull, rigging, and trailer off the classifieds here and built a DD V6 boat for around 6k. Had to redo the rigging on the boat in that price. It performs very well and runs some level dry. If you take on a hull build you may come out with a good boat but so much can go wrong too. Why not go with a proven hull? Alumnitech can get you one at around the price you're talking. Summit racing and jegs will help you with parts for your engine. Your greatest expense is gonna be your drive train - engine, belt/gear, and prop. If you can find a running carb engine with accessories hanging on it you will be money ahead.

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 »

Deano...what's wrong with buying a $750 engine and maybe freshening it up with a set of bearings, rings and maybe a valve job and some gaskets. So add the other $1000 to take care of that and you are now at $9700. I have owned more boats than anyone on this site and have done a lot of budget builds myself. I put together 540 on a chuck hawk step last year and only had 11k in it. So doing a budget build is possible if you are patient and wait for the right deals. But it is still a helllllll of a lot easier to start with something that might just need a facelift.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

There is NOTHING wrong with doing that. Many have in the past, myself included.

My comment was only meant to imply that if his building a 10k boat is contingent on first
finding a 40 yr engine with low miles for $(any price), then you aren't going to build a 10k boat.

I started to ask you for information about these 750 dollar Caddy engines with
low miles, but did not want to sound like a smart ass. They may not be all gone, but as their
numbers have dwindled, their price has risen as well. Hell, off the top of my head the last two
Caddy engines in the classified were 1500 and 2500 and a good 500 crank was over a grand.
Not to imply that these are good or bad prices, just to point out that they are not 750 with low miles.

I was only attempting to keep him from being misled about the pricing and availability.
In actuality, being where he is vs. Florida would probably help with his acquisition expense.

A healthy 500 DD on a 14 footer could work well, and could be 10k doable. Rock On !! :salute:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe »

[quote] So doing a budget build is possible if you are patient and wait for the right deals [/quote
This is the key for a budget build. Don't over look a buick 430 or 455. They rank right there with the caddy and aren't as pricey. Can usually find em for 5-600 bucks
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) »

I think if u took ur time u could build a good boat out of the classifieds. Used gear box 2500, prop between 1500-3000, junk yard 350 5-600 or a used one from a forum member for 1500 or so. Buy a hull and build ur own rig if u want but i think u could squeeze it in for 10-12000
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

whiteriverrambo
Southern Airboat Member

thanx guys. as I read all yalls post the one thing everyone has in common is the motor is the biggest thing to spend or save money on. I have built from scratch and I have gutted and rebuilt5 interiors on other boats, its part of being a bowfishing guru, you gotta be part fabricator part electrician etc. so building another from scratch doesn't scare me. only reasons I'd rather build new is so I can say its all mine. iI doubt ill be finding a deep sided boat used, only other solution is adding 8-10" to the gunnels. im sure it would be functional but it would probly look like chit.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

Being honest you can buy a good boat for 10 grand just make dam sure you do a compression and leakdown check on ever cylinder and make them take you out for a half hour atleast and run it hard you will know how the boat is then. But youll never build a good one for that a good motor is atleast 6 grand.

kwowens1963
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwowens1963 »

I wish you luck in your airboat build, I do hope you can build one for under 10K, just keep in mind there is a lot more mechanics involved other than bolting a motor in the air and putting a prop on it. Much engineering and design will need to apply, good luck with which ever direction you choose
2012 15x8 GTO 383 Stroker, 3 blade sensenich
"Don't Stop Believin"
RRAA #007
BRAB #54

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

whiteriverrambo wrote:I bowfish, so i need to be safe in deep water. its just me and my wife so a 13-14' boat should be fine. Ill be building this boat from scratch. im thinking a 84" wide floor, 106" wide beam, and extra deep 28" sides. aluminum with 3/8 poly. i want to be quiet as possible so more than 3 extra wide blades moving slow. I will be running DC lights so would prefer a automotive power plant. question is what is the best, cheap motor that will give me what im looking for. ill probly be looking to buy a salvage motor. Ill need help with the best prop and belt drives as well. what holds up the best at the lowest price. thanks for your help.

It can be done if you know and have experience in your needs and look for good deals in every aspect from the rubber tires on the trailer to the bow eye and stern light.
I seriously doubt you'll spin 3 wide blades for long in that budget though!

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

And also bow fishing on a airboat, I think u might lean more towards 16-18ft with a big block and reduction. If u have time a patience u can do it. May come in a little over budget.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Sign me up for a $750 low miles Cadillac engine!

Maybe back in 1985

Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

I bought a complete car 3 years ago for 500.. Pulled motor and scraped the car. Made money in that deal!

Return to “Airboat Tech”