Light Bars on Grass Rake

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Light Bars on Grass Rake

Post by Duece » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:51 am

I see folks putting the light bars on their grass rakes these days. I have seen some on trucks before, but I would seriously question their durability mounted to a grass rake though, right?! I tend to venture off the trail quite often, and while having a light bar on the rake seems like a good idea, how are these things holding up when "trail making"?

My 2nd question is wiring. Where do you run the wires so they aren't exposed on the grass rake? I have a solid Diamondback grass rake, and was wondering how to have wiring up there, but still keep it clean.

Thanks guys,

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Light Bars on Grass Rake

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 am

There are thousands of these things being sent from hundreds of Chinese manufacturers everyday. They are all different in quality and brightness. While many of them look the same, very few of them are. I have personally seen many many many problems with them from condensation to water intrusion to electrolysis to missing screws. Just make sure you buy from a reputable source. Like everything else, you get what you pay for.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 am

Duece wrote:I see folks putting the light bars on their grass rakes these days. I have seen some on trucks before, but I would seriously question their durability mounted to a grass rake though, right?! I tend to venture off the trail quite often, and while having a light bar on the rake seems like a good idea, how are these things holding up when "trail making"?

My 2nd question is wiring. Where do you run the wires so they aren't exposed on the grass rake? I have a solid Diamondback grass rake, and was wondering how to have wiring up there, but still keep it clean.

Thanks guys,

Duece
The bar I got from Kenny was on Venom for 3 years not one issue, heck I pushed trees with it lol gator hunting in August, ran the wires on Diamondback just like they do for nav lights and had small single loom wiring harness clamped about one foot on the side of the grass rack on the inside then under the lip.

Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:30 am

I have a 40" Rigid light bar mounted on my grass rake. Not only did it survive my excursion into the myrtles that fateful night, it has survived numerous intentional cross country trips through grass, cattails, willows and brush. It's bright as hell and extremely durable. However, it is expensive at $1,500.00. The wire runs down the starboard side of my rake then down into front compartment and along one of the ribs to my stand on my DB.
Attachments
20141030_101816_resized.jpg
20141030_101911_resized.jpg
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 am

a lot of us run them.. as long as you DO NOT mount the light even with the grass rake, your fine. Set it back and let the grass rake do its job.. Run the wires as shown. I actually mounted 2 slightly smaller ones instead of one long one. Angled them outward just slightly.. What a view!!!! mine are double stacks about 12 inches long mounted on opposite ends of the grass rake. Set them back and never had a branch strike them yet.. Pretty sturdy lights..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

462kwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 462kwells » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Are there any combo led light bars out there that the spot light can be switched off leaving the flood lights on so it will not blind on coming boaters

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:26 pm

462kwells wrote:Are there any combo led light bars out there that the spot light can be switched off leaving the flood lights on so it will not blind on coming boaters
I think I have seen some like that but I have never ordered any. It would be easy to modify any of them to do that. I will go ahead and tell you though that spot or flood will blind oncoming traffic... Especially flood

TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TIGO541 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:53 pm

I know it wouldn't pertain to you deuce since you say your rake is solid but I've seen people recessing the light bars into the rake now and it looks great!! I'm actually thinking about doing mine that way. I wonder if there are any negatives to this? Maybe someone has some pics of this option??
13-6x7-6 Hamant Ultra-lite,Custom TIG Stainless rigging,1.7 Rotator,Supercharged 480,Electronic Ignition,80 inch 3BLD R,B&S trailer

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:56 pm

TIGO541 wrote:I know it wouldn't pertain to you deuce since you say your rake is solid but I've seen people recessing the light bars into the rake now and it looks great!! I'm actually thinking about doing mine that way. I wonder if there are any negatives to this? Maybe someone has some pics of this option??
Negative is heat. Check out my article in airboating magazine this month. I talk about this very thing.

TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TIGO541 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:58 pm

PeaRiverOpossum wrote:
TIGO541 wrote:I know it wouldn't pertain to you deuce since you say your rake is solid but I've seen people recessing the light bars into the rake now and it looks great!! I'm actually thinking about doing mine that way. I wonder if there are any negatives to this? Maybe someone has some pics of this option??
Negative is heat. Check out my article in airboating magazine this month. I talk about this very thing.
Makes sense I forgot they have cooling fins on them so behind the rake it wouldn't get the cooling it needs
13-6x7-6 Hamant Ultra-lite,Custom TIG Stainless rigging,1.7 Rotator,Supercharged 480,Electronic Ignition,80 inch 3BLD R,B&S trailer

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Simple fix is a small fan on the same circuit. Just to clarify, this is if you mount them IN the rake behind the Lexan and you are using anything 30" or larger.

JugHead
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JugHead » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm not saying there isn't a heat issue with it mounted in the grass rake, but I had DB put a cut out in my rake when they built my hull at the beginning of the year and I have a 44in in it and haven't seen any problems yet. But I guess time will tell. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.
15' Diamondback w/ 427 SBC - 82in 9 blade Razor X

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:34 pm

I have had several mounted behind lexan in solid rakes and so far no issues. We use 40 inch bars. I don't think most guys keep them turned on for long periods of time
Attachments
grass rake with LEDs.jpg
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

sseater
Southern Airboat Member

Post by sseater » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:13 am

If you mount it correctly with some good aluminum plates (or big washers) to support the mounting points, you'll be fine. I can tell you that I put my boat thru more brush and small trees and never had any issue with it breaking or breaking off. just set it back a few inches so the rake can still do its job... mine was a 40" rigid industries light bar.

papajack
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by papajack » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:12 am

Might consider our heavy duty cubes. Available in spot or flood pattern. Two are brighter than a 40" bar. Contact us if you are interested.

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Can anybody put some good clear pictures of the mounts?

Duece
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:16 pm

papajack wrote:Might consider our heavy duty cubes. Available in spot or flood pattern. Two are brighter than a 40" bar. Contact us if you are interested.
I've got 2 just standard run of the mill lights on my cage now, wouldn't mind getting a set of the cubes, but don't know which to get, the flood, or the spot?!

Duece

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Reference to spot/flood... The lights have a combo with both spot and flood in them. u can see the difference in the bulbs..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

boatair
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by boatair » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Duece wrote:
papajack wrote:Might consider our heavy duty cubes. Available in spot or flood pattern. Two are brighter than a 40" bar. Contact us if you are interested.
I've got 2 just standard run of the mill lights on my cage now, wouldn't mind getting a set of the cubes, but don't know which to get, the flood, or the spot?!

Duece
Get the spots from Kenny. I have set mounted on my rake and love them, they have a pretty wide angle on them and I don't think you would need floods.

boatair
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by boatair » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:43 pm

0727141230-00.jpg
boatair wrote:
Duece wrote:

Duece
Get the spots from Kenny. I have set mounted on my rake and love them, they have a pretty wide angle on them and I don't think you would need floods.
Attachments
0727141232-00.jpg
0727141231-00.jpg

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Duece wrote:Can anybody put some good clear pictures of the mounts?

Duece
Which mounts are you looking for Duece? Here is a pic of the cube mount:
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Image[/img]

You definitely want SPOTS on you cage.
Thanks Boatair :thumbleft:
Reference to spot/flood... The lights have a combo with both spot and flood in them. u can see the difference in the bulbs..
Our cubes are SPOT OR FLOOD. They are not combo like some of the bars.

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:35 am

I was looking for pics of the light bar mounts. If I get cubes, I'm just going to put them where my cage lights are now.

Duece

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:47 pm

i have been running one of the cubes from kenny for over a year on my hunting boat. it has a great spot. i can't imagine two of them. lol

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Revisiting this post after awhile. Thinking of switching my lighting setup. Any links for good light bars? Also, can ya'll share some close up pics of the mounting?

Duece

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:14 pm

I like what I have.... ImageImage
There are two pics that show light low profile and how it's mounted just custom brackets you can fabricate whatever you need for your rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Airboat Tech”