Engine stand help..

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Engine stand help..

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm rebuilding the boat, and need help with any ideas on how to square up my engine stand. When I plum Bob it, it shows that (when looking from the front towards the back, at the front of the motor) the front needs to go left about 7/8" and the back needs to go right about 1/2". The engine stand is 1" square tubing and strong. I'd like to keep it if at all possible! When I have a prop on it, one side of the prop is forward and the other is farther back (out of square with the transom). What area would be the best to cut to tweak it into shape? And what procedure would be the easiest? I'll try to upload some pics but I haven't had the best luck attaching pics to threads...
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Engine stand help..

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Says the files are to big.. I'm using an IPhone, so any help there is appreciated also.
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

radialman66
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby radialman66 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:05 pm

If it's a fiberglass hull, sometimes transoms are not perfectly square to hull.
"let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees" General Stonewall Jacksons last words.

KRVSA member.

SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Nope, it's aluminum..

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:59 am

Could you place the engine square in hull, and build the motor mounts a little offset ?
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 am

At first I was thinking of cutting the engine stand at the bottom of the legs and trying to bend it in shape.. I can't just cut the engine stand out and rotate because all the legs are built to the edge of the angle iron. Deano i think cutting the motor mounts on the stand would be the easiest now that I look at it but do you think that will make the engine rotate as well (one cylinder bank drop while the other lifts, causing the motor to not be level in the horizontal/width direction)? Any advice to keeping the motor square while working on the stand?

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:15 am

Cut out diagonal front and rear, tweak it where it's right and weld them back in.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Return to “Airboat Tech”