Airboat Duck Hunting

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Patrick
Southern Airboat Member

Airboat Duck Hunting

Post by Patrick »

Wondering if any of you folks hunt ducks from your airboats, and how you camouflage them? And if possible would you share a picture? Thanks very much.
Pat

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Airboat Duck Hunting

Post by flcracker9 »

Doesn't take much to camo mine. I also have several 6" long 1" PVC tubes, zip tied to the cage and rigging. I use these to insert palmetto fronds, branches, cat tails, or whatever vegetation is available to me at the time. Of course it helps to start with a camo hull and cage!
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Patrick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Patrick »

Thank you for the reply!!

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Striker543 »

Hard to hide an airboat to duck hunt out of most of the time. We usually move it out of the slough, put it in cover and walk back, or have someone drive the boat away if it's deep.

Patrick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Patrick »

Yeah thanks, but when the mud is 6 ft deep it's hard to walk on.
Thanks

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

Bring a camo cover.

Aeon
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Aeon »

super hard to hide the airboat....

we use the boat as a mother ship for a pair of Hybrid NL layout boats. They are light weight and you can hide with ease in even light cover. Ill drop off my old man and then stick the boat a good distance away. then paddle or motor back in the layout.
17x8 Circle H powered by a TurnKey LS3, 2.55 ox box and 82" 3 blade JX

Stuffer Steve
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Stuffer Steve »

I cover mine with a couple of military parachutes bought from military surplus... the best option is to take along a small layout or canoe and leave airboat in grass and setup away from if you have that option... another favorite is to wade away from boat and get into other cover!!!!
Steve Fijalkowski
Benefactor NRA Life/Ducks Unlimited/United Waterfowlers/KRVSA/FAA/NTA-Taxidermist
Al David Performance
avIO540 Upstack /72Q

CAPTAIN-D
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CAPTAIN-D »

Cut plenty of brush and camouflage nets.

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

Hunting out of the boat, we have the advantage here in FL of "cabbage fans" or palm fronds. Cut the long ones and stack them around the boat along w/radar scatter camo netting. We also put one of those stake-type turkey blinds on the front deck mounted into the gunnel.

Hunting out of the boat is better, as you simply hide the boat in some reeds or near some tall willows then walk 50-75 yards to your spot and hunt in a natural blind of some sort, or blind supported by adding above said cabbage fans. Boat is still covered in fans as well as the netting, just not as much as if you are hunting out of it.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo »

Ya'll are doing it all wrong, best way to duck hunt out the airboat is to run down the reeds to flush em with the boat and have your passenger blast em, no camo needed. :shock:

:stirpot: :stirpot: :fishing

No, I don't duck hunt but it sounded like a good way. :D
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

DuckNutt
Southern Airboat Member

Post by DuckNutt »

LMAO, that's a good one. I've found my AB too big to get hidden good mainly because I like to shoot 'em working the decoys. If you don't mind and can kill 'em on "fly by's" the camo of the AB will work. If its shallow enough to wade away from boat that's the best way. Where I hunt I use AB and GPS to find and mark the spots and then use my small Jon to hunt out of. Works good, I'm at 127 this year with one weekend to go!

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece »

I've had them decoy and been hunting out of the boat...a 14' boat at that. Just gotta work to camo it is all. This is also on Lake O' where I think guys think sky busting is how you hunt!

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x8' Diamondback 6.2 Pleasurecraft Marine Levitator 550 hp/2.37:1 Oxbox 80" JX Series Sensnich Prop

Return to “Airboat Tech”