Motor stand build plans?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
jhlambert21
Southern Airboat Member

Motor stand build plans?

Postby jhlambert21 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Going to build a new stand for my project boat. Going to build out of steel tubing but I have some questions. What size square tubing and wall thickness? Motor will be 400-450hp LS. Didn't know if some one had some plans for a stand or any basic ideas I need to follow. Thanks guys

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Motor stand build plans?

Postby Southern Style » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:48 pm

Best bet would be to go thru the photo gallery and see some stands with that style motor... then get on HIS photo gallery page and look close up at the different styles of different boats of different members.. Then you can send him a PM for specifics.. The only reason I say this is because I did the same thing 3 years ago.. Built my entire rigging and cage, but found that there were about 30 different designs for a motor stand for a O-470.. LOL... Ended up piecing 3 different styles to make what I liked..

Don't have pics for you, but that would be the best bet.... Good luck and post up with your work !!
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

jhlambert21
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jhlambert21 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Good idea I'll check them out

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:23 pm

Get front and rear mounts set on engine, if rear mounts are vertical, make x brace as main legs then uprights to fit so all bolts accessible, depends on your application.
I never finish anyth,,,.

SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:24 am

I usually use 1" square tuning with a wall thickness close to 1/8" or somewhere around 10ga. I've never had it on something with 400-450 hp though but I've also never had a weld break, so I'm sure if it's braced up good it should hold fine. I would post pics of the engine stand I just got done building for a sbc w/ a gearbox, but I don't know how to post pics from an iPhone.
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby keebo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:28 pm

Put your location in and there may be someone close by with experience who may give you a hand.
You can use almost anything you want to build it if it's braced right. I just finished my engine stand not long ago and used 1" X1/8" for engine, using 3/4"x 16ga. For seat structure and 1/2 x 16 ga for bracing and seats.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Afflicted » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:01 pm

Yeah if it's braced right it'll hold. On another forum I'm on a guy build a big ass boat with like 750hp. He did the boat but got diamondback to build motor stand and it was small, looked like 1" square tubing. Said it was good for 850hp... Good luck

jhlambert21
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jhlambert21 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:58 pm

I'm just south of Nashville, TN

Return to “Airboat Tech”