need cage in davie

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

need cage in davie

Postby helicsher » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Is there any one in the davie area that can build me a cage that I don't need to rob a bank to pay for
I don't know but maybe I should have been a welder cuz I just don't see paying 1500 to weld 300 in metal together
"Success Requires No Excuses"

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: need cage in davie

Postby John Fenner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Is this a loaded question?
I never finish anyth,,,.

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Shippee123 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:41 pm

I thought that same thing until I built two cages and rigging myself. A lot of time is spent building a cage, and I'm sure mine isn't the quality of most of the pros here. If your not capable of building it yourself that's not that bad of price. I do it cause that's what I enjoy doing.

Just my opinion
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

zrackers
Southern Airboat Member

Postby zrackers » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:29 am

These guys are right. I'm rebuilding my cage and rigging now and have numerous hrs into it and am only about half way. Granite, here in OK I can't pull my boat down the road and drop it off for a new cage, so I didn't have much choice. One things for sure. If you build it yourself and it's wrong, you can only bitch at one person.

They guy who helped you!!!!!

Good luck.

jimmyflfr
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jimmyflfr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:53 am

Go to p&m welding and buy a welder for $1499 and learn how to weld and fabricate and you'll be saving $. Or have someone do it for really cheap and see how it turns out. I couldn't see how it cost so much $ myself until I did my first one ! Oh and get a set of $500 torches while your there and some tube benders good grinder etc etc....

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:40 am

They are not just welding $300 in metal together. They are welding $300 together correctly. You count the welds on that three hundred dollars of metal. Every one of those welds have to be 100%. You leave a pin hole anywhere condensation will fill that tube with water and rot it out. The more pin holes the faster it will rot out. Making sure it is square and level takes time. Making it appealing to the eye and functional to body takes time. Rudder placement and controls take time. I think if you get a quality job, your underpaying at $1500.

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby helicsher » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:47 am

Well sounds like I need to dig out the old ski mask and just bend over. Maybe change my name to the Manhattan flash
I guess they cut down all the shad trees in davie.

Has anybody seen that johnny chicken show?
Chicken in black .sh#t!!!

justin m
Southern Airboat Member

Postby justin m » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm in the process of building one right now. Definitley alot more time consuming than it looks. $1500 is nothing to pay for the time and headache it would save you. I enjoy building stuff and really wanted a boat that i built on my own. If that was'nt the case then i would easily pay that for someone to do it for me. Goodluck with your boat man!
A/V 540 on a 13ft Navigator hull, swingin a 72" 2 blade WW signature series. Go boat, not a show boat.

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Postby stonny9 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:20 pm

My brother in law just built his cage. It is a lot of work. $1500 seems like a great deal. U pick it up in a week vs taking a month for u to build it. He went above and beyond and drilled holes in the conduit for the cage wire and welded the front and back of the wire cross sections.

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby helicsher » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:00 pm

Well thanks guys for the input
My old cage is not in bad shape problem is I just bought $500 on some allcraft paint just wanted to spiff her up a lil befor I bolt on that new 520 conversion. Someone sprayed the cage over and over with rustoleum,it's on there like hammered cat shit you can't put allcraft on top of that. If I have it blasted it well probably fall apart the end of the spot were it bolts down is just hammered down flat with a hole drilled in it for the bolt,it's week!! Old metal don't think you can find a good spot to add new.

Going to have to pick my butt for a minute and think about it
Damm it has become a expensive free country hasn't it boys
Any suggestions?

juice
Southern Airboat Member

Postby juice » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:13 am

You pay for what you get

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:48 am

Hell I just paid 700 for a grass rake and leaning rail. I had no problem paying that much knowing it was done right and is not going to break off and hit anyone. :dontknow:

justin m
Southern Airboat Member

Postby justin m » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:07 am

If you're just looking for a cage, PM me and i'm sure i can get you a better price. Should be able to get you one built for $600 or a little cheaper. Normally a complete set of emt riggin goes for 2k i think. Including the cage and engine stand
A/V 540 on a 13ft Navigator hull, swingin a 72" 2 blade WW signature series. Go boat, not a show boat.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:31 am

justin m wrote:If you're just looking for a cage, PM me and i'm sure i can get you a better price. Should be able to get you one built for $600 or a little cheaper. Normally a complete set of emt riggin goes for 2k i think. Including the cage and engine stand

I believe this is definitely more in line with the market rates in FL. I just got my EMT done in winter haven for right around these #'s.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

SHOOTER250
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SHOOTER250 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:12 am

Unless you are working for minimum wage you can earn 1500.00$
In a lot less time than it takes to build a good cage. Cowboy up and pay for a ton of fun !

justin m
Southern Airboat Member

Postby justin m » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:43 am

SHOOTER250 wrote:Unless you are working for minimum wage you can earn 1500.00$
In a lot less time than it takes to build a good cage. Cowboy up and pay for a ton of fun !

Looks like shooter is the big money man! Lol

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:54 am

justin m wrote:Looks like shooter is the big money man! Lol

Another possibility is that it took him a really long time to build a cage. :dontknow:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby helicsher » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:56 pm

Ya I have been saving my min wage and it's adding up!!!
Think aim going to load it up and get on us27 north and pin it.
Probably better then trying to ask some yoyo in Miami that dose not speak english if he can weld up a pin hole after he's got $1500 of my whopper floppin money

Thanks Justin
Hay shooter if you want to cowboy up and by me lunch I'll be in town tomorrow

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby aherr520 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:57 am

$1500.00 is not bad depending what metal your using I just bought some stainless steel to redo my cage and seat stand and I'm only doing it myself because I'm a welder by trade, emt is cheap and easy to work with if you go with that
aaof member

Return to “Airboat Tech”