painting aluminum hull

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
#1farmboy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

painting aluminum hull

Post by #1farmboy »

Alright guys, lookin for some help or suggestions for a DIY paint job on an aluminum hull. Not lookin for it to be a show boat, just a decent paint job that's gonna hold up. I plan on it being flat black. The hulls been sandblasted and I've got a spray gun. What kind of paint do y'all recomend that's easy to apply and easy on the wallet? Any more prep work to the hull necessary after being sandblasted? Tell me what ya think, thanks

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: painting aluminum hull

Post by stroked470 »

We have had good luck with Dupont "Nason Ful-Thane 2k Urethane" paint sold at Finish Master. You will need to purchase "Etching Primer" along with the reducer and activator for both the paint and the primer. Make sure the boat is 100% free of all dust and or sand and clean with Laquer Thinner and tape off all areas not wanting to be sprayed. Lay down your etching primer and let cure according to can recommendations then lay down your color until you get your desired coating. Also it is a must to get the correct mixing cups that go with that paint so your ratios are correct. I have had this paint on the last 4 deck overs and you cant knock it off. It isn't the cheapest but not terrible either, for everything needed you will be out around $425.00.

#1farmboy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by #1farmboy »

Thanks man, that's what I was lookin for

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 »

If you are in Labelle area there is a Finish Master here on Fowler St. in Fort Myers.

#1farmboy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by #1farmboy »

I ain't down there right now, I found one in Gainesville I'll make it up to

#1farmboy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by #1farmboy »

If you were to use the etching primer, what's meant to be laid over it before the paint

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 »

Worked just fine for us on a lot of boats...get in my picture gallery and you will see multiple boats sprayed before hand with etching primer that is designed for nason paint. I am not an expert by any means but it has worked fine on past projects

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

stroked470 wrote:We have had good luck with Dupont "Nason Ful-Thane 2k Urethane" paint sold at Finish Master. You will need to purchase "Etching Primer" along with the reducer and activator for both the paint and the primer. Make sure the boat is 100% free of all dust and or sand and clean with Laquer Thinner and tape off all areas not wanting to be sprayed. Lay down your etching primer and let cure according to can recommendations then lay down your color until you get your desired coating. Also it is a must to get the correct mixing cups that go with that paint so your ratios are correct. I have had this paint on the last 4 deck overs and you cant knock it off. It isn't the cheapest but not terrible either, for everything needed you will be out around $425.00.
X100
I never finish anyth,,,.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

Etching primer just needs the correct paint on top but yes it is the correct way to paint aluminum. I never used epoxy on aluminum but I will say anything I used it on worked dam good.

#1farmboy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by #1farmboy »

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna go with what stroked said

Crazy Frog
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Crazy Frog »

If you have a completely clean aluminum product with no traces of old paint...then alodine is the best process as far as a bonding procedure. its a little hard to find , but it is worth it . I have used Dupont vari-prime with good results and as mentioned make sure you use a primer compatible with the urethane product. I prefer Nasons single stage for economical reasons and if you want a little more protection use the ful-thane clear coat. I have used ful-thane on a lot of different applications...even ATV plastics with Bulldog added for flexabilty...it s good stuff! Find a good automotive paint supplier, if you are near Ocala...give Automotive Paint Supply a call. Also make sure you use a good respirator and if you are not using a booth watch the overspray, it travels a long way! Yes you need to apply a sealer after the vari-prime and pay attention to flash times as labeled.
Good luck with your project!! :headbang:

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

if you want to pait your aluminum hull green, Durolux has their aluminum boat paint with the primer and top coat already mixed together. that's what i spray or roll or brush onto my hunting boats and it sticks great.

RJ
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by RJ »

What JoPete is talking about is a Duralux vinyl paint made for aluminum flat boats/John boats. It works pretty well, just a one step process. It only comes in one color dark green. They also make an enamel paint in duckboat drab and two other hunt boat colors. They have a chromate primer that goes on before the finish paint. I painted a Kine hull recently and we stripped the hull to bare metal, primed washed it with Petit etching primer and then applied the chromate primer and then the finish paint. It did a pretty good job.all one part paint except the etching primer.

JPerkins323
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JPerkins323 »

I agree with stroked470.... Hundreds of boats painted like that, including mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"BUZZ KILL"

12x6.8 .090 thousands 1/2 deck hunt boat with .125 backup plates and a lil' sheet of stainless. 0540 s/v spinning 5 blade sabers.....Ready to party.

Built by D&E Metal works in Homestead, FL: (786) 412-9018

dodobird
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by dodobird »

bulldog didn't work for me on things I tried it on but ive heard its good stuff it was a waste of 25 bucks and I have over half a can left hahhahahahah :florida:
13' laser 360sbc oxdrive 2.68 .... 80" 3 blade whispertip ex :florida:

#1farmboy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by #1farmboy »

Hey crazy frog, is that automotive paint supply across from KWI in ocala?

Crazy Frog
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Crazy Frog »

Yes...not sure about their hours of operation? I don't think they are open on the weekend!

Return to “Airboat Tech”