Francis Taylor hull request

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Francis Taylor hull request

Post by Seven3 »

Around what year was the last Taylor hull built? I understand his riveted hull design is carried on by current builders today, I'm just curious when Taylor himself (or his shop) stopped building hulls. Thanks, and any pics of true Taylor's would be appeciated.

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Francis Taylor hull request

Post by lilly-Pad »

I was told he was building them right up to the time he passed. Mine is a 73
Attachments
004.jpg-2.jpg
002.jpg-3.jpg
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

What year did he pass?

Hog Wild
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Wild »

He passed away in 1982

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

Anybody know who was building the riveted hulls for Broward/Dade County Fish & Game in the 80's? I just picked up a project boat at auction from the Florida Forest Service, and they said it was donated to them by Fish & Game about 15 years ago. It still has their insignia on the rudders. I know they had 11 or so Thurmans built in the 90's, but this hull is titled as an '89 and Im pretty sure it's not a Thurman. 12x6'10 half deck with a backing plate; the guy from the Forest Service said he thought it was a Taylor, but since Taylor passed in '82 I doubt that. Anyone know who was building the warden boats in '89?

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

It might be a Colinger, I think Jammie built some government boats. Got any pictures?

Crazy Frog
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Crazy Frog »

While on the topic of Taylor hulls...I also have a hull that is in question of the builder?? Taylor, Collinger or just a copy of either? The rear looks similar to the Taylor? I believe the title says home-built, but you know that goes with Airboats. Any expertise will be appreciated !!
Attachments
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (42.52 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
IMG_2053.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG (37.81 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (47.56 KiB) Viewed 4098 times

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

Gary S wrote:It might be a Colinger, I think Jammie built some government boats. Got any pictures?
Here you go thanks. She looks rough from sitting 15 years, but the hull is actually in great shape; no corrosion, dents, or damage anywhere. The boat is built well with 5 stringers 12" separated and a backing plate that goes across all stringers from the bulkhead to the transom. The hull under the engine stand is fully boxed from the transom to the bulkhead to the stringers to the deck with aluminum plate; it's definetly built strong.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

man the stories that old hull could tell!! :toothy7:

good luck with your build & keep the pictures coming of your progress! :thumbleft:
:rebel:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

Gary S I think you're right, it looks like a Cloninger. Found this pic of a Cloninger in the gallery and it looks to be the same; the transom is identical.
http://www.southernairboat.com/photopos ... -n/cat/500

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

Seven3 wrote:The boat is built well with 5 stringers 12" separated and a backing plate that goes across all stringers from the bulkhead to the transom.
My error, the backing plate doesn't end at the bulkhead, it goes about a foot beyond it. Once the plate ends the runners bend down and are riveted directly to the bottom sheets, which I'm told is a characteristic of Cloninger's older boats. Looks like I have it confirmed as a Cloninger, thanks for everyone's help.

0360Dominator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 0360Dominator »

Seven3 does the sheet of aluminum run underneath the stringers or is it cut to fit between them ?
I'm asking out of curiosity because on my boat has the same thing as well but I am not sure who built
The hull.
injected angle valve 200 on an 11x7 diamondback with a 2 blade q series

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Cloninger put stringers in a press to kink the relief of the backing plate.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

0360 the backing plate runs under all of the stringers, then the stringers bend down to contact the bottom sheets where the backing plate ends.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

John Fenner wrote:Cloninger put stringers in a press to kink the relief of the backing plate.
Yep, that's how this hull is built. Thanks again for the help.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Just out of curiosity (not that I'm considering doing it) but both Seven3 and John Fenner know my sled. It has poly on it and the poly is in good shape (it was on when I bought it). Should it ever need replacing, I don't know how you could possibly seal all the holes and reinstall new poly. Is it possible to replace the bottom of a riveted hull without screwing up the paint on the rest of the boat or would that be the penalty paid for drilling all those holes in an otherwise perfectly good boat?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Replace the bottom? Or fill the holes to lose the poly? Or to replace the poly?
I never finish anyth,,,.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Re read your ? It can be done only if the bulkhead is removed and fuel tank removed if there is sufficient room to get tank out but it is a tough job
I never finish anyth,,,.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

Did some tear down. The hull is built pretty stout: .125 bottom, backing plates, and the T- bar stringers that run under the engine stand are 1/4 instead of the usual 3/16. After taking the rear deck off I noticed there are also backing plates on both sides of the large center backing plate, to contour to the chines. So with a better look and the deck off, is Cloninger still the likely builder?

Here is one of the two smaller backing plates that contour on the chines. The center backing plate runs between the 5 stringers from the transom to about 18" past the bulkhead.

Here's the 'pressed' stringers where the center backing plate ends.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

Jamie built a tank to run the rocks west of town and south of Loop Road. Poly wouldn't stand a chance going where that boat was built to run.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Does it have stainless on the bottom?
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

Gary S wrote:Jamie built a tank to run the rocks west of town and south of Loop Road. Poly wouldn't stand a chance going where that boat was built to run.
This boat wasn't built to run the rocks, it was a Broward Game and Fish boat as far as I was told. Did he build any poly boats? Does the rest of the structure look like his?

I already have a complete Benny Webb boat so this is just a little project that I bought cheap...so it doesn't necessarily matter to me who built it; I would just like to try and figure it out so that I'm not calling it something it is not. I highly doubt the state would've bought a hull from just anybody though. Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Seven3 on Tue May 19, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

glades cat wrote:Does it have stainless on the bottom?
No sir, I was told it was a Broward boat. No need for stainless up here. Did the old GFC boats run stainless down by you guys? It's .125 bottom with backing plates and poly. It still has all of the Game and Fish decals and inventory serial numbers on the hull, plus I bought it from a state auction, so I know it really was a GFC boat.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Cloninger did that to all boats with backup plates on last picture. Not all had the full gussets from transom to bulkhead but this one does.
I never finish anyth,,,.

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun »

Seven3 wrote:
glades cat wrote:Does it have stainless on the bottom?
No sir, I was told it was a Broward boat. No need for stainless up here. Did the old GFC boats run stainless down by you guys? It's .125 bottom with backing plates and poly. It still has all of the Game and Fish decals and inventory serial numbers on the hull, plus I bought it from a state auction, so I know it really was a GFC boat.

looks something like my project same homebuilt and 125 bottom T-6 do not know the specs but rounded 90 bends in the bottom, top rear skin 2024 T3 .063

Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Return to “Airboat Tech”