stainless steel help please?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
instig8tr
Southern Airboat Member

stainless steel help please?

Post by instig8tr » Sun May 03, 2015 2:01 pm

I am building my first SS rigging, can anyone please help with sizes of round tube and is there a specific "type" that works best for rigging/ cage? Also is it 1/8" solid round that is used as the guard material on the cage? Any info., tips, tricks would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

muffled500hp
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: stainless steel help please?

Post by muffled500hp » Sun May 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Most use .065 wall thickness. Use 1" for engine stand and main supports. You can use 5/8", 3/4" and 7/8" on everything else. If you spray the material with WD-40 before you weld it will keep the spatter from sticking to the material for easier cleanup. Yes you use 1/8" round for cage wire. Good luck and post pictures of your build.
Keith ~~

Modern Performance Engines, LLC
Custom built engines for airboats, hotrods, mud trucks, buggies, circle track and drag racing!

352-282-6407
MPEKeith@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/modernperformanceenginesllc

instig8tr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by instig8tr » Sun May 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks Keith for the information, and I will post pics when I start the new build .

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog » Sun May 03, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm in the same boat as instig8tr. Any tricks or tips on bending it??
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

muffled500hp
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by muffled500hp » Sun May 03, 2015 6:02 pm

A JD Squared bender will do a pretty good job as long as you take your time. I have seen some guys use conduit benders for small bends but they usually will not do a tight radius without kinking the material.
Keith ~~

Modern Performance Engines, LLC
Custom built engines for airboats, hotrods, mud trucks, buggies, circle track and drag racing!

352-282-6407
MPEKeith@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/modernperformanceenginesllc

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector » Sun May 03, 2015 6:51 pm

Keith is correct We use 1 inch .120 wall on the engine stand and .65 or 16 gage on the seat stand with 7/8 16 gage on the cage. and 1/8 single strand for wire. Take your time welding it Stainless moves around a lot so move around to keep the heat from warping everything. Good luck with it.
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

instig8tr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by instig8tr » Sun May 03, 2015 7:35 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the info bonecollector... and tip.. I was thinking about purchasing a tig, would a tig be better? Or should I save my money there and just use my mig? Thanks

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:56 pm

My advice to you is let someone else build your rigging. If you do not know what is gonna be better to weld with then obviously you do not know how to weld nor build rigging. Not trying to be a dickk but there is not a snow balls chance in hell you will be able to tig a set of rigging together and you should already know that if you know how to weld.

instig8tr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by instig8tr » Sun May 03, 2015 8:14 pm

For your information stroked I have been welding most of my life, just not tig... and with someone with a brain and trying to be helpful like bonecollector said with the metal warping I was wondering if a tig would be better? I didn't know that is why I asked.. its idiots like you that make good airboaters look like idiots! And by the way I have built ALOT of complete airboat from trailer, motor, engine stand and rigging.. BUT NOT with stainless so I am done wasting my time with you when there are ALOT of good guys helping each other like I have always known airboaters and just good guys do for each other...

trailerdon
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by trailerdon » Sun May 03, 2015 9:20 pm

Get a tig and practice, find someone with tig experience to help with the basic's. Mig is good and an experienced welder can do a nice job with it. That being said, I have seen tig welds that appear seamless and perfect. That does not mean everyone can do it. some people have a "nac" for it and others do not. Good luck with the stainless build. I'm sure it will be awesome ! Oh yea, don't forget you tube. If you can think of it, someone has made a video of it.

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector » Sun May 03, 2015 9:43 pm

I use a millermatic 185 with .30 stainless wire and just go slow and as mentioned move from spot to spot with out concentrating the heat in one spot. I use a pickling paste when it's all done it will clean the welds up nice with little effort just brush it on wait about 20 minutes then hose it off. I think you will be fine just take your time.

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by pipedog » Sun May 03, 2015 9:43 pm

blackwaterairboats wrote:Kyle I have the bender you need to bind all the stainless. Call me when your ready and you can borrow it.
YOUR THE MAN!!!
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by bonecollector » Sun May 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Oh and if you don't have a block for mock up I use a plastic mock up block I got from Summit racing it's about 10 pounds and since I am by myself most of the time I can handle it easily.

aggiejim
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by aggiejim » Mon May 04, 2015 1:17 am

I use a bout 25 psi on welds keeps them pure and wd40 around surface aera short tack welds will give u that row of dimes look my 2 cents
16 x 8 floral city ls2 6.0 aluminun block 2.3 ch3
can u say addicted
16.5 x8 alumintech new build
6.0 ls2 2.3 ch3 3 blade
the aggie

cobboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cobboats » Mon May 04, 2015 5:34 am

I'm getting a black spot at the end of my weld. You cant see it till after using the picking paste. Anyone ever seen this?

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:51 am

Damn now I'm an idiot, built and had more boats than probably anyone on this site but I don't know what I am talking about. Simply was saying that if you don't know how to tig you probably shouldn't attempt doing your rigging that way. Your tollerances have to be way to tight and will take way to much filler rod. Anyone that welds would know that and not be on this forum asking questions like that. Good luck. If I can help you in any way I will be more than happy to do so, I was not being a dickk or trying to piss you off in any way. Matt Skipper 239-707-5382

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Dam stroked 470?
Your sure do make things agreeable!
"Damn now I'm an idiot, built and had more boats than probably anyone on this site but I don't know what I am talking about. "

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon May 04, 2015 10:13 pm

I'll put 5 dollars on Matt. I'm pretty sure he's had 4 different boats in the last 9 months. He changes boats faster than I change underwear. LOL.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

jrbass333
Southern Airboat Member

Post by jrbass333 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Mr. insti8tr MR stroked470 was blunt but also right if you have never welded it it is hard to weld, you mig ,ss wire have to use the right gas , you have to use pickling paste to clean welds hard to bend ,can,t bend on concrete floors , can,t hold mig triger and weld like reg. steele you have to spot weld, i think he was trying to save you a lot of money and headachs, now if you want to build your own i would suggest find someone thats welds it and watch them and get some pointers.

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Looks like I made a friend out of Prototype...holy shitttt, good luck on your build as I said before.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator » Tue May 05, 2015 4:23 pm

I have built a rigging's and motor stands I am certainly not a welder by trade, but to me the welding part was the easy part. Getting the parts to cone together and in the correct place was the hard part.

I would look at a few set-up and takes some measurements and draw it up an make sure everything lays out were you want it. Easy to change on paper not so much after it is bent or welded. I made a few mistake on the 1st two I did, last one worked out fairly well. Still need a lot of practice on my welding (one eyed welding), but everything mounted the way I planned.

Also to Mr. Stroked 470 you seem to build some nice boat very clean work.

clamped
Southern Airboat Member

Post by clamped » Tue May 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Stoked 470, the guy clearly stated he has built multiple boats from ground up, all he needs to know is mig or tig, there can't b that much difference in steel, conduit or stainless, give him a break

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:38 pm

Clamped that's funny shtt. One eyed you are right, the welding is the easy part providing you have a tight fit. If you are gonna tig it that is the only way you will get it done. At least with wire there is a little room for error but you still want it all as tight as you can get it and "coped" accordingly with a flapper wheel. A lot of the boats I do are rehab boats but they usually turn out well, thanks for the compliment. The only stainless boat in my gallery was the army star boat and Terry Lee built that rigging for me because it's such a pain in the asss to deal with and he does it every day. He used the same bender I have which is made by Baliegh and comes with all the dies needed and Is a simple die/roller style hand bender that is like $400.00.....he now uses a JD squared air/hydraulic assist that I sold him and I think he still uses the cheap Baliegh bender as much as the high dollar hydraulic bender.

Return to “Airboat Tech”