Fuel pump stopping - enough already

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Neversatisfied
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Fuel pump stopping - enough already

Postby Neversatisfied » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Ethanol destroys natural rubber. Aeroquip AQP socketless hose is the best I have ever used. Synthetic rubber so it wont get ate up.

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:51 am

Why not use copper pipe as fuel line where you can and only a short flexible rubber/ethanol resistant hose to allow the motor to move a bit, so copper from the tank to the filter then pump, then copper to the next filter/separator, then copper to a bracket on the engine stand. Then a quality ethanol proof hose only from the bracket to the carb?

That gunk looks like either cr@p in the tank, or the veins in the pump falling apart? There sure is plenty of it :shock:

Here in Australia, we have trouble with cr@p in the gas when we get gas when a tanker has just been and filled the gas station.... putting the gas in the underground tanks stirs up all the garbage and water in the tank, and if you are unlucky enough to get the big glob of crud that is floating around in the underground tank sucked up by your bowser :angry5: Sometimes, also, when the gas station tank is nearly empty (waiting for the tanker) there is more crud than gas in the tank.... I have never, ever heard of a gas station cleaning their tanks.... ever :roll:

Maybe get a big Mr Funnel or other funnel with a screen and either tip your jerry cans in thru it if you use cans, or at the gas station, use a screened funnel and see what is heading into your tank with the gas. It will be slow to fill, so don't go when it is busy and have everyone wanting to beat you up for being too slow :lol:
Make sure you use a gas station that has a high turnover of gas.... that way everyone gets their fair share of crud.... instead of you getting it all :lol: Small gas stations that only get filled up every couple of weeks can have crud in the gas as well as stale gas.... gas only lasts 2 weeks then the octane plummets :roll:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Just use ptfe stainless braided hose ($2 per ft) and get the necessary fittings. Can be used with any fuel and pressures up to 1500 psi. Plus u will get more flow from less friction for same size of hose.
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade, 50" light bar, Two 9" light bars, some long ropes, extra gas(for my buddies)with pushpole and paddle. LOL

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:46 pm

CactusJack wrote:Why not use copper pipe as fuel line where you can and only a short flexible rubber/ethanol resistant hose to allow the motor to move a bit, so copper from the tank to the filter then pump, then copper to the next filter/separator, then copper to a bracket on the engine stand. Then a quality ethanol proof hose only from the bracket to the carb?

That gunk looks like either cr@p in the tank, or the veins in the pump falling apart? There sure is plenty of it :shock:

Here in Australia, we have trouble with cr@p in the gas when we get gas when a tanker has just been and filled the gas station.... putting the gas in the underground tanks stirs up all the garbage and water in the tank, and if you are unlucky enough to get the big glob of crud that is floating around in the underground tank sucked up by your bowser :angry5: Sometimes, also, when the gas station tank is nearly empty (waiting for the tanker) there is more crud than gas in the tank.... I have never, ever heard of a gas station cleaning their tanks.... ever :roll:

Maybe get a big Mr Funnel or other funnel with a screen and either tip your jerry cans in thru it if you use cans, or at the gas station, use a screened funnel and see what is heading into your tank with the gas. It will be slow to fill, so don't go when it is busy and have everyone wanting to beat you up for being too slow :lol:
Make sure you use a gas station that has a high turnover of gas.... that way everyone gets their fair share of crud.... instead of you getting it all :lol: Small gas stations that only get filled up every couple of weeks can have crud in the gas as well as stale gas.... gas only lasts 2 weeks then the octane plummets :roll:

ohhh lord
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CactusJack » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:07 am

scrambletown wrote:ohhh lord
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I take it you guys don't have issues with cr@p gas over there.... what they sell us here is absolute rubbish. I take it you don't like the idea of limiting the amount of rubber hose? :dontknow: :wink:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:30 am

nope this thread opened my eyes the rubber hose every-one is talking about is not-is not for gas line!
the hose I said prier is made for gas...type-a1-sae j1527/iso 7840 cost guard approved..
when I changed mine most of mine was what is mentioned and 2 small pieces of the above.
the 2 small pieces where flexible the other was hard and brittle.
both filter's where full of the black pieces of crap.
a potential disaster was avoided. thanks to this thread...
and not trying to blame the station's or how nasty the gas is..
every station I know of tests their tanks with a test kit every morning its required and the law..
its recorded and there for inspection.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:42 pm

X2 for not using cheap automotive hose. I replaced my cheap auto fuel hose a few years ago because it was cracked and leaking. Just noticed the other day it was cracked and leaking again. Couple dollars less per foot equals $20. I have had to buy it twice so no savings there and not including the cost of the avgas that leaked out and the time....

Wish I had gotten the good stuff the first time
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:38 pm

I have regular black fuel hose on my boat and it was on there when I bought the boat a year ago and it looks like old hose that has been on the boat for some time, I have a small filter between tank and pump . I only run Av gas, so far so good. Has anyone ever tried plastic line like what's on semi trucks?

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:59 am

I bought a boat that had that expensive blue fuel line with the inner liner in it. After a few months, the engine starting starving for fuel while I was cruising if I gave it heavy gas. Changed the filter. Changed the pump. Still had problems. Finally I looked in the fuel line and realized the liner had collapsed inside the hose. I replaced it with the regular black fuel line and haven't had a problem since.

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Postby diamondback0320 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:33 am

i used the blue fuel line for bout 3ys with no problems until someone told me the same thing so I changed it...But I've done a test just to see if it was true.. I've got 2 pieces in glass jars that have been soaking for probably 1.5yrs in avgas.. I've taking them out several times to see if the liner has come loose & it has not..now with ethanol not sure

BluByU2
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby BluByU2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:53 am

I started using 3/8" steel brake lines as my fuel lines, and only used quality rubber fuel lines as couplers. Just make sure you use a tubing cutter which will give you square cuts so they butt up really close, and avoid getting disintegrated rubber in your gasoline. This has worked well for me for years, plus I use a Mallory 110 gear rotor fuel pump to minimize the exposure to rubber.

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lwells » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:35 pm

This is the first time I ever seen AV Gas cause any problem for hose. I'm betting there was a bad batch of hose out there and you got some of it for I have bought airplanes that were setting for over ten years with gas in them and we checked everything and flew them home. You did say you only ran AV GAS?

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:46 pm

I installed this hose roughly 3 years ago SAE-30R7

Yes, it did work for a while, but I certainly wasted more in gas than I saved on the hose. Some may be satisfied with that. I personally expect more.

Replacing with USCG TYPE A-1-15 hoping for better longevity.
Attachments
IMG_0963.JPG
I did not cut it open, just squeezed and it broke in half.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

Return to “Airboat Tech”