Superslide Poly

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Superslide Poly

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:28 am

Anybody running super slide poly from Horn Plastics? Searched past posts and was just looking for any new comments on anyone using it? I run the gulf fishing in the flats and am curious if will hold up any better than other poly on the occasional accidental rock/oyster mishap.....

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Superslide Poly

Postby scottyroll » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:39 am

I think they all must be pretty much the same when your talking about a specific type of polymer makeup like UHMW (whatever the acronym is) and there might be just slight differences regarding aspects such as silicon content, which wont protect you any better.

It really must come down to the thickness and how well it is mated to the bottom of the boat.

Regardless, a significant oyster bar or rock encounter will damage at will any practical means of bottom protection.
Last edited by scottyroll on Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Postby GeeLeDouche » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:50 am

I have used Mike Horn with Polymer Systems. He's a good guy and offers a good product.
http://polymersystemsllc.com/airboat-polymer/
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
1648"M (& floatation pods) "Lowe" modified V Jon boat with a 31hp mudbuddy hyperdrive.

Andrw7264
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andrw7264 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:12 pm

I ordered blue iron directly from super-slide/Horn plastics and ran it for years with no complaints. Found it to be cheaper to order it directly from the company and have it shipped to my door. The blue iron was tough and held up great.

John C
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby John C » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:47 pm

I have run the blue iron poly for about 5 years. I have also run the black and the white. I like the blue iron better. Superslide also offers the red hot superslide which has glass impregnated in it. I have not run it yet, but it is supposed to be more abrasion resisant than the blue iron. They also offer the yellow quartz superslide. This product has Quartz impregnated in the poly and makes it more abrasion resistant than the blue and the red. They all have silicone added and are very slick. It is a very good product.

never2fast
Southern Airboat Member

Postby never2fast » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:09 am

UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) (blue iron). I like the blue iron lot better than any of the other stuff. it holds up to the road, gravel, rocks, dry ground etc a lot better than any other stuff I have used. much more harder and durable. this blue iron has lasted me longer than any other polymer. It has 2% silicone added and is UV stabilized, the silicone reduces wear, and decreases frictional heat. I buy a roll of 60 feet at a time. so let me know if you ever need some.
I'm located Okeechobee. Jason 863-634-4184

rjfjr
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby rjfjr » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Jason how much for 8x13 thanks. I'll come get it when I'm ready so don't worry about shippin
Rich

never2fast
Southern Airboat Member

Postby never2fast » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:48 pm

i will have to call and get a quote. my roll is 6 feet wide. but in the past when I have had a special order that size it was around $800-$900, and it would be shipped in about 2-4 weeks. for a 6x13 I have in stock it would be $715

Huntingwithahoyt
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Huntingwithahoyt » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks guys for the replies....I have talked to them on the phone and they now make the blue iron in black....my size would be 8x13 too....Jason I'm curious to see what the price is?

Polyguy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Polyguy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:00 am

Hey guys, UHMW is a polyethylene as you all know, the silicone does help significantly, keep in touch if anyone needs some.

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby mcm4 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:38 am

Mike Horn is a really good guy to work with, best customer service ever, great product, best prices...

CONTINENTAL CRACKER
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby CONTINENTAL CRACKER » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:55 am

scottyroll wrote:I think they all must be pretty much the same when your talking about a specific type of polymer makeup like UHMW (whatever the acronym is) and there might be just slight differences regarding aspects such as silicon content, which wont protect you any better.

It really must come down to the thickness and how well it is mated to the bottom of the boat.

Regardless, a significant oyster bar or rock encounter will damage at will any practical means of bottom protection.

I will have to disagree on the damage part of this post. I have ripped many sheets of poly. I put the blue iron on my last boat. A friend barrowed my boat and he hit a Toyota straight axle front end in the marsh. It hit at the front right of the hull to the back left. It did rip but it only got a 2 inch tear in it. That is the toughest poly I have seen. It was the knuckle bolt sticking up that went across the bottom. He was running the boat hard,and for it to only rip that small of a area is some tuff poly.
I WOULD RATHER PADDLE A CANOE THAN OWN A WATERPUMPER

Return to “Airboat Tech”