Gauge package suggestions

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Gauge package suggestions

Post by Dirtman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:54 pm

After a long drawn out process I'm about to start my part of my new boat build. I know the basic gauges will be in the gauge package( tach, oil pressure and temp plus voltmeter ) just curious as to what others thought should be included to keep up with all functions of the engine. It will be a GSO-540. thought about including a boost gauge and an air fuel ratio but don't know if these are really ness. I appreciate any input you guys can give
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

getitdone
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Gauge package suggestions

Post by getitdone » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Fuel Guage and CHT Gauge
Attachments
Panel.jpg
"Poachers Dream"
13'x7'6" Hamant Ultralight With 0540 And 72"Q

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dirtman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:19 pm

I was thinking about CHT as well, unfortunately fuel tank wasn't built with provisions for a gauge but does have a sight tube

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:39 pm

I'm running a Tach,oil psi,oil temp,volt and a boost/vac gauge. I think that covers ya in my opinion... As far as CHT I would just get a lazer heat gun and check with that. And the AF guage I would use it to tune your carb or injection then I would take it off. I don't think that's something that you would need to leave on it. We tuned mine with a AF meter and then took it off and CHT has never been a issue. Now if i was gonna run dry for long periods of time that might be a different story with running a CHT gauge. Just my opinion...
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:16 pm

This is a subject I enjoy because I like things simple. A lesson can be taken from the motorcycle industry ...... think about how many gauges you normally see on a bike. Usually a tach, a speedometer, and some 'idiot lights', right?

An airboat wouldn't have to be wired much different. We wouldn't need the speedometer, so now you're down to a tach, and if you want, an oil pressure gauge. I'd want the oil pressure gauge just because it would give me some real readings at idle and such, but even that one wouldn't be absolutely necessary. I trust the electric ones.

Think about what you do on a bike to check the gas. You take the cap off and look. A sight glass on the side of a tank takes care of that. You don't even need a keyed starter switch ...... just a locking Perko switch on the batteries that's wired as a 'master switch' and a starter button on the panel, along with some marine grade fuel pump and ignition toggle switches, and a couple extras for lights and such. A DC wiring project is always better when it's kept simple because probably at least 90% of all DC circuit problems come from faulty grounds. My boats only had positive leads running to an appliance. Those were grounded right where they sat. I've done it that way on several things and it worked great every time.

Just food for thought. :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dirtman » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:37 pm

I understand what you are saying Olf art. Was either going to ground everything to good solid grounds near the device to be powered or to an actual lug directly from battery ground

Return to “Airboat Tech”