Prop to hull angle

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
RickMc
Southern Airboat Member

Prop to hull angle

Post by RickMc »

I have a 12 x7 fiberglass open hull . I have a 0320 Lycoming , 2 seat front driver rigging . It is setup pretty light .The boat hops pretty bad at speed in deeper water but the trim tab straitens it out . Not really a problem . While pitching the prop the other night I checked prop to bottom of hull angle .The prop / crank shaft is pitched a little over 3 degrees down in the rear compared to the bottom. Would this be part of the hopping? Would the previous owner have done this to help it run dry better? It was part of the sales pitch. Just trying to understand some more of the fine tuning . Thanks Rick
The glass is always half full....til I get a hold of it
mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Prop to hull angle

Post by mojoe »

You can search and find tread after thread on this.

The motor and hull should be very very close to parallel.

You typically need to tweak it, but just a bit.

If it is off 3° down in the rear, he probably tried to force the bow down an stop the hop. That might be the problem, might be the hull itself.

Again, search on here. It would take you longer to read all the chatter about the fix than it would take to fix it.
Mark 7:9
SEMPERFI77
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Prop to hull angle

Post by SEMPERFI77 »

I AGREE 0 IS THE BEST PLACE TO START, DEPENDS IF YOUR JUST RIDING OR HUNTING. IF YOUR HUNTING YOU MIGHT WANT IT PITCHED DOWN IN THE BACK A LITTLE. BUT LIKE HE SAID THE BOTTOM HAS A LOT TO DO WITH HOW THE BOAT RIDES. AIRBOATS ARE LIKE RACE CARS YOU CANT SCREW WITH EM TO MUCH.

Return to “Airboat Tech”