GPS Unit

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Kenny627
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

GPS Unit

Post by Kenny627 »

Looking for a good gps unit that you can see during the day and shows you the actual terrain. I had an older Garmin and the screen sucked during the day. Thanks for the help.
2015 GTO Deckover
572 with 3 blade Superwide

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: GPS Unit

Post by GCRedfisher »

The Simrad Go7 is a great unit, easy as pie to use and touchscreen to boot! You can go to West Marine in Crystal River and see it and a bunch more. You can get a whole lot better idea in person and see all the functions they all have.
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by barhopper »

Do you use the fish/depth finder on the unit. If so how does the transducer mount?

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher »

I don't use it the depth finder, don't really need it. Thought about hooking it up for a while using a through the hull transducer but I never got a solid answer on how the poly would affect it?
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

Edge1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Edge1 »

I just installed a Simrad GO7 on my rig with a Florida Marine Tracks chip installed and the satellite imagery is incredible! No other electronics chart chip comes close to the clarity of this thing.

Kenny627
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Kenny627 »

Perfect! Thanks for the advice. I do want a good picture that you can see. Is it better to purchase online or from a dealer?
2015 GTO Deckover
572 with 3 blade Superwide

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher »

From what I found, they were pretty much the same price everywhere. They had awesome Black Friday deals but that was the only time I found cheaper prices and even then West Marine was the winner. I suggest you go somewhere and view them in person and play with them. These folks at West seemed pretty knowledgeable on all the pros and cons plus they have awesome customer support and a ton of user videos on YouTube. Crystal River is close to you and worth the drive to put hands on a unit and see how they work.
Everyone is diiferent, what works for some may not work for you so go look in person. JMO

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher »

Edge1 wrote:I just installed a Simrad GO7 on my rig with a Florida Marine Tracks chip installed and the satellite imagery is incredible! No other electronics chart chip comes close to the clarity of this thing.
Just been reading about that, gonna check it out, thanks for the heads up!

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher »

On another note, I also picked up a Garmin 78sc handheld. It's also a great little unit just has a tiny screen. It's great for taking along when u fish with somebody else so you can mark their spots! :D

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets »

GCRedfisher wrote:From what I found, they were pretty much the same price everywhere. They had awesome Black Friday deals but that was the only time I found cheaper prices and even then West Marine was the winner. I suggest you go somewhere and view them in person and play with them. These folks at West seemed pretty knowledgeable on all the pros and cons plus they have awesome customer support and a ton of user videos on YouTube. Crystal River is close to you and worth the drive to put hands on a unit and see how they work.
Everyone is diiferent, what works for some may not work for you so go look in person. JMO

West Marines' price is $650.00. I saw it on Amazon, (Boatersland), for $548.23 with free shipping but there was no information about the Fla. marine tracks chip on any of the ads.
I agree it's best to go look at it in person.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

I'll share my spots with you, problems knowing when to be at what spot.

I have a Garmin 76Csx great unit but small color screen the older I get it he harder it is to read.

It is waterproof, floats and fairly tough. Had it for at least 6-7yrs, does everything I need and more.

It does go through batteries fairly quick, always good to have an extra set.

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher »

I'll share my spots with you, problems knowing when to be at what spot. (Quote)

I hear ya Gator, I'm the same way, I'll show anyone where to fish, they just have to figure out how and when is the best time!

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Ol Yeller »

If you have an I-phone, download "Skipper." It's free and I find it more intuitive that any Garmin product I've owned. It has various base maps, but I use the satellite view because it shows so much detail. True it's not waterproof, but neither was the last Garmin 76CSMap I had that got flooded by rain crossing Puzzle Lake two years ago. The trick with any GPS is to practice in the car when your wife drives so you get used to it.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 »

I got the Garmin 547xs ($549), 5" color screen, preloaded mapping for the east coast, built in GPS antenna. My boat is 12', didn't want a huge screen, but even I can read the 5" color screen (I need reading glasses to read most anything). I really like this unit, does everything I need it to do on my airboat. You may want something bigger for your rig, but the 547xs unit is perfect for my boat.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

I have own numerous Garmins. All I use now is motion-x gps app on my phone.
Mark 7:9

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts »

mojoe wrote:I have own numerous Garmins. All I use now is motion-x gps app on my phone.
What he said ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrbill
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mrbill »

motion is a good app but riding is slow to update i use the new garmin 650t that little unit is sweet stuff !!!

Return to “Airboat Tech”