SLICK BOTTOM

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

SLICK BOTTOM

Post by Lwells »

Can anyone tell me the types or kinds of material available to slick the bottom on an aluminum hull. And do they make anything that can be applied to the bottom without disassembling the boat and turning the hull upside down to apply. This is an assembled and running boat but doesn't have poly or anything on bottom.
GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: SLICK BOTTOM

Post by GCRedfisher »

airboatcoatings-dot-com

Don't know if they are still around, but it worked great on my old duck boat, plus you could just touch it up if you needed to without redoing the whole bottom.
Rolled it on with the boat propped up off trailer, stuff was awesome but a little pricey
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!
Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells »

Thanks, have you ever heard of anyone using WETLANDER. I just found it and sounds like similar stuff.
SDeatherage
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by SDeatherage »

We just did quick slick repair on my bottom without flipping the hull. We lifted the bow about five feet in the air. Did our necessary repairs and then sprayed quick slick on. Probably not the most desirable way but it only took a few hours to do the job.
2016 14' X 8' Dyna Marine Revo powered by a TKE LS3 swinging a Sensenich 3 blade 81" R with a Ballistic 2.70 box. Fusion deck with 8.8 JL Audio speakers. Custom sea-dek on a Dakota trailer.
GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by GCRedfisher »

Lwells wrote:Thanks, have you ever heard of anyone using WETLANDER. I just found it and sounds like similar stuff.
Yes, it is the same stuff. Bad thing is that it takes like 5 days to cure unless you put some type of heat on it. When I sold the skiff, it was 2 yrs on it and it still looked great. It's good stuff. Just one mans opinion.....
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!
Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Shippee123 »

I put wet lander on my first hull. Was slick as snot but didn't last long. Most others say 2-3 gallons when applying wet lander is sold in half gallon kits. I think if you put that many coats it may last but would definetly kill the pocket.
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper
glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Fasco Epoxies moved to Ft Pierce and makes the original Super Steelflex, a great product with superior adhesion, hardness, temperature and chemical resistance. Use this as a base coat then finish with Steel flex 2000, which has Teflon friction reducing additive.
Lift the bow, as was stated by SDeatherage, do the prep work and coating, load onto trailer with transom overhanging and finish.
The epoxy's handling and curing properties will be affected by temp and humidity.
fascoepoxies.com
305-821-9441
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009
DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DynaMarine »

My vote is for Quick Slick. Used the Wetlander and it was sure slick but did not last.
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com
GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche »

I have only used quickslick and I like it a lot. I used it on my duck boat and broke a fair amount of ice with it and it seems to hold up pretty well. The key to any bottom coating is going to be in the prep work and the thickness of the product.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000
Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells »

Thanks everyone, I can hang this boat and work from underneath and I was hoping the coating would go on well doing it this way. I hadn't read about quick slick but I read about wet Lander and it seems if you want it to last and hold up that you have to take the whole time required which I think totaled about 72 hours which I didn't have a problem with and it has to be put on in 3 separate applications. I will check out quick slick and if I decide on it where is cheapest place to get it?
GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche »

Brian is the owner / distributor of quickslick. Very good guy and you can buy it directly from him.

863-581-9710
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000
glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

I think Steel flex uses Teflon/PTFE as the friction reducer and is bisphenol A resin with a Polyamine hardener.
I believe Wetlander is a (Proprietary) Epoxy Silicone formula with Mica/Clay filler and is reacted with a Polyamine. Probably also a Bisphelol type resin.
Don't know what Quick Slick uses. It sure has great reviews of the folks here. In the southern part of Florida, we used Fasco Epoxies, since they were close to home and Jerry at the counter was a wealth of information. He past away a few years age and the company has new owners and moved to Ft Pierce. Same great products though. I just used some Fas-stone this week to patch some concrete.
I think each product offers benefits and have some trade-offs in their properties according to the formulation and how they are reacted/polymerized. Basically, you can't have everything. Adhesion to surface, wear, low drag coefficient, temperature resistance, plasticity/brittleness, 1 step/2 step process, etc.
Surface prep, application and favorable ambient conditions are equally as important as a quality product.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009
fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

I ran straight quickslick on my aluminum hull and it did great. I used 3 gallons on a 13' hull so it was thick. Stay away from the wetlander, it's expensive garbage.
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2011 Al David / AV 540

Return to “Airboat Tech”