Ultrasonic Vibrational Hull Technology

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Ultrasonic Vibrational Hull Technology

Post by scottyroll » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:07 am

I wasn't sure what to title this thread, mostly because I'm not sure I completely understand what I'm talking about...

However, being the thinker that I am :idea: , I noticed whenever I am using my work bench grinder that the tools around it start to vibrate and move around as if they were approaching weightlessness :scratch:

I was curious to know if anyone else had contemplated using a device that would attach to perhaps the top of the hull stringers and produce a pulsing pattern that would in turn travel through to the bottom of the hull and replicate what I saw on the work bench but with the ground beneath the hull.

The purpose of this would be to of course provide a means of increasing the chances of getting off of "sticky situations" by essentially creating a lubricating effect.

I don't know if the device would out weight its intended purpose but I do recall a story where nikola tesla shook a few city blocks from his office using a device to which I am similarly referring too :shock:
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Ultrasonic Vibrational Hull Technology

Post by digginfool » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:23 am

Vibration will absolutely liquefy the soil as well as help bring moisture to the top. We use vibration to help get pipe unstuck when pulling it in, using air hammers to assist the directional drilling machine to get the pipe moving again. I don't think it would take much of a vibratory unit to vibrate the hull enough to get the desired effect but the cost and weight would not be worth it, IMO. A sprayer rig would be cheaper and lighter, probably more effective as well. If you wanted to try it, you could always go to an equipment rental store, rent a vibratory plate compacter (small one with maybe a 5 hp motor on it) then go get stuck. Put the plate compacter in the bottom of the boat and have at it. 8)
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Great idea.
Last edited by glades cat on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:55 pm

We install vibrators on dump truck bodys. They shake hard enough to break welds on 1/4 steel. They cost about $750 and weigh around 60 lbs and are 12v powered. They are used when hauling sticky material such as gumbo clay or very fine material that becomes compacted during travel. (pot ash) for example. I'm not sure about a fiberglass hull, but I think it would destroy an aluminum hull.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:04 pm

In my opinion vibration is never good, with the possible exceptions that Diggin' mentioned. It causes all kinds of gremlins, from structural failure of everything from aircraft airframes and propellers, to the integrity of bridges. I would think that a vibration of the level needed to do the work you're considering would also almost immediately destroy your batteries (fracture the plates), possibly your instruments, and anything else like a GPS if it was permanently mounted. Just my opinion.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Just cut an inch or two off one of your prop blades and you will get all the vibration that you can handle.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:36 am

Scarecrow wrote:Just cut an inch or two off one of your prop blades and you will get all the vibration that you can handle.
HAHA! I was just thinking about the vibration the engine/prop send thru the hull at open throttle on my work today.
FLAwless

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:57 am

I have a friend up in the Orange Park area who did have some success with vibration in a different form though. He leaves an old displacement type cabin/trawler boat at anchor in Dr's Lake, and he was having a lot of problems with barnacle build-up below the waterline.

He bought a system somewhere that has a series of transponders that are attached down each side of the hull and across the transom on the inside. They operate automatically, and they're silent in operation. The system is designed to send a very light sound signal (in sequence) periodically down each side. Problem solved! There was just enough about that setup that it discouraged anything from wanting to attach to his hull.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

WBS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by WBS » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:22 am

Considerable work has been done by the aerospace people on using small, cheap! piezoelectric vibrators to energize and breakup the boundary layer of air that sticks to the smooth surface of wings, etc. Air sticks and builds up a stagnant layer that increases drag and messes up smooth flow.. Very different problem but the cost of experimenting would be low. The forces might be too low but it is being taken very seriously and aircraft aluminum isn't broken up by it. I suggest you google vibrational or piezoelectric boundary layer control and poke around.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:13 pm

Hey Scotty. You may be on to a revolutionary application in airboat technology. A new method for airboats to break static friction without the need for exorbitant horsepower. I can just envision a Briggs & Stratton powered mini breaking free to "Flight of the Valkyries". :salute:

Have you ever seen the trunks of the Basser cars around town…practically vibrating right off their hinges?
I say put a couple of 15" woofers in sturdy weather resistant boxes, powered by a hi current amp of a couple thousand watts and experiment with some different frequencies and amplitudes…or your favorite basser tunes. Mount them pointing down an inch or so above the bottom between the rails and bada-bing-bada-boom you got that hull resonating to the beat. You'll probably have to tune the frequency to the hull. Put some water inside the hull and adjust the frequency until you see the water peak the highest. The greater the amplitude/volume, the greater the effect. There is even an App for a sound generator. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ator&hl=en
Run it through your stereo.

There is info on youtube and Google demonstrating ultrasonic friction reduction and "Acoustic Lubrication" phenomena. Start with Wikipedia. It has good introductory info.

I say it's worth the effort and research. :thumbleft:
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:42 pm

Thank you everyone for the input thus far.

Glades, I saw some pretty cool sand designs form on my speaker truck that I had years ago while on the beaches of daytona playing bass tracks and frequency sweeps. But nothing like the video below:

Frequencies are truly more than the waves we typically relate them too and I would love to see someone with the means test this general theory out on an airboat application
FLAwless

Return to “Airboat Tech”