CHT Gauge which one ? Westach or Micro Flight 1000

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

CHT Gauge which one ? Westach or Micro Flight 1000

Post by FastrackBAW » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi all,

I've read a ton of topics on here! This isn't really a double post! As I wanted to ask the specific question below about the CHT gauge, I did repost some of my original topic though....

Just did my Welcome post:
http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... =2&t=68361

I have a 12' Scoot with:
Motor: Continental GPU - 90HP (not the pe90), Single mag (cira 1967, he purchased 7 motors about 4 years ago.. they were freshly rebuilt when he received them)
Prop: Sensenich 60x32 (I believe it's 32) wood/composite

I'm installing a catch can by Moroso # 85467 to catch oil vapors. Right now it's an old oil bottle.

It currently has a cheapo Oil Pressure and Volt gauge, I've ordered a Faria 4k, Oil Pressure and Volt gauge (as well as the 8 pulse Faria generator)

I'm thinking after reading a ton of topics on here, a CHT gauge is pretty much a requirement. Because of my wide operating air temperature range -25C (-13F) to +10c (50F), I think the gauge needs to be temperature compensated.

From what I've read if the gauge is setup for 70F and I'm running at -10F, the gauge will read 80F higher?

Aircraft Spruce sells a bunch of different ones, this are the two I'm looking at:
Westech http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... stcht1.php
or
Micro Flight http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... gauges.php

They claim the Micro Flight is temp compensated, the cables are about $20US different.

Which is a better gauge?

Scoot:

Engine:

Ben

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Re: CHT Gauge which one ? Westach or Micro Flight 1000

Post by FastrackBAW » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Can someone move this to "Aircraft Power Only", I posted in the wrong sub-forum.

Ben

grey owl
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by grey owl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:56 pm

just a few thoughts for you, if your doing a lot of spring running the snow is usually of the ice and the vibrations are awful on electric gauges. They look nice on the dash but you might think about mechanical gauges mounted on the motor, specifically oil temp and pressure. I have to replace my electric gauges ever couple years. re rich lean there is a bunch to it because conditions are always so different but the general rule is full rich if sticky, breaking ice and in the water and you can lean it up on good going. if you hear the cylinders contracting a lot right after shutdown your lean running is too lean.
my experience is in larger scoots with bigger power but assume that its pretty much the same thing. I'll pm you my tele number, give me a call if you want.
cheers
will

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:13 pm

Check out the MGL TC-2

FastrackBAW
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FastrackBAW » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:14 pm

Grey owl - pm sent.

I do plan to mount my gauge cluster on some rubber mounts below my dash. Most scoots I see have them mounted in the dash board right to the scoot hull (like a normal boat)

PeaRiverOpossum - now that is a sweet looking gauge but a little pricey!

This one on eBay looks quite interesting. Not sure if it's temp compensated or not, I've sent the person a few questions.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CYLINDER-HEAD-TE ... 1879654023

Ben

bbstimey
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bbstimey » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:50 am

i use that mgl t2 on my 4cly love it its not that expensive if you have priced a good set of gauges
and it replaces all of them
14'x8' JB hull w/Stingered GO-480 w/ electronic ignition and 3 blade 80" R

Return to “Airboat Tech”