Are AGM batteries suitable for airboats? If so, which ones?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
BackwaterBill
Southern Airboat Member

Are AGM batteries suitable for airboats? If so, which ones?

Post by BackwaterBill »

I have never used owned or had an AGM battery and am curious if airboats and these types of batteries are a good matchup?

If so, what make size or cc power should a person get? I am in the colder land of Minnesota so that is an issue as well...?

thx!

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Are AGM batteries suitable for airboats? If so, which o

Post by flcracker9 »

In my opinion, yes, they are ideal for airboats. Smaller, lighter weight, more CCA's and reserve on average than lead/acid batteries. I prefer the Optima line, some folks like the Oddessy batteries just to name a couple
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rollbar1 »

Aren't Sears Platinum made by Oddessy?

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 »

In my opinion, yes, they are ideal for airboats. Smaller, lighter weight, more CCA's and reserve on average than lead/acid batteries. I prefer the Optima line, some folks like the Oddessy batteries just to name a couple
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo »

AGM will work well for a colder region and tend to last longer when not used, they are however temperamental to heat. Lots of pros and cons as with all of them. Really doesn't matter which brand unless your particular, there are only 3-4 manufacturers in the U.S. That make about all the batteries we use today, Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls are the big three that make most brands. I prefer the gel here in Florida since they are more heat tolerant. The next big rave in batteries are the lead crystal, claim to have a 2 year life sitting unused and an 18 yr. lifespan, low discharge, low resistance battery that can be brought to 0 volts multiple times and still be recharged.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

They are kind of pricey for what you get unless your in an extreme application.

Hard to beat the deal Advance Auto has on an their AutoCraft Marine starting battery it offers 800cca for $89 and when you purchase online you usually can take 15-20% off with a discount code. Then 15 minutes later walk into the local store and it is at the counter waiting on your arrival. I got mine for $71 and it turn over my big inch engine fairly well. It is a good value in my opinion and has a 1 year free replacement warranty.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

Running duel Optima marine batteries with a battery switch. So far there great. Now remember they don't charge fast. Now this will be the first gator season and running the lights hard.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rollbar1 »

terrible ted wrote:Running duel Optima marine batteries with a battery switch. So far there great. Now remember they don't charge fast. Now this will be the first gator season and running the lights hard.
This would be interesting to know the outcome :thumbleft:

Debo75
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Debo75 »

Rollbar1 wrote:Aren't Sears Platinum made by Oddessy?
This. I did a bunch of research before putting new batteries in my diesel Superduty and this was the consensus. But I called Sears a month or two ago, and was told they no longer carry the Platinum batteries. :(

I cannot stand Optimas. I have had several of them die on me and now they cannot be recharged. I know the Odysseys are AGM batteries as well but they hold up much better. They're worth the $$ to me, for my peace of mind.
20'x8' GTO w/ MAS 509 BBC, 2.38:1 Stinger, 4 blade Power Plus.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rollbar1 »

Thanks for the info.

Here are some videos on charging the Optimas.

Personally, I don't like them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ma+battery

blow boat
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by blow boat »

The only AGM battery I've used is marine
Type for my 21 ft paramount and those
Things are not light at all,been a good
Batt though .

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts »

I buy dozens of batteries each year for work - I invest in optima batteries. One is in my boat. Red yellow or blue can't go wrong with any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackwaterBill
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BackwaterBill »

I am running an Aircat Tomcat with the 40 hp VW so I am guessing that the AGM work more than adequately based on what I have read then...I just don't want to get 10-20 miles out and end up with a dead battery. I guess it's an option to bring a second battery but then do you bring a 3rd and 4th too? ;)

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

BackwaterBill wrote:I am running an Aircat Tomcat with the 40 hp VW so I am guessing that the AGM work more than adequately based on what I have read then...I just don't want to get 10-20 miles out and end up with a dead battery. I guess it's an option to bring a second battery but then do you bring a 3rd and 4th too? ;)

I am use to off shore 2 batteries is a minimum requirement. Inshore not really. I can walk Farther than I can swim. I have also walked a boat a 1/2 mile down the river in the dark before. Now i don't know if you can hand prop a vw. I have done 4 cyl aircrafts.

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hambone79 »

BackwaterBill wrote:I am running an Aircat Tomcat with the 40 hp VW so I am guessing that the AGM work more than adequately based on what I have read then...I just don't want to get 10-20 miles out and end up with a dead battery. I guess it's an option to bring a second battery but then do you bring a 3rd and 4th too? ;)

That's why you get the phone sized jump box's that are out now. just got to make sure its charged.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Another advantage to AGM batteries is that they are sealed and can be mounted in any position and will not spill their acid.
When deciding whether to go with a starting battery or a deep cycle, consider:
Deep cycle batteries can be used for starting, starting batteries cannot take many deep discharges before they suffer irreversible sulphation.
Deep cycle batteries are built with much thicker lead plates and will last longer.
Starting batteries have more CCA per weight than deep cycle.
For longevity, nothing beats a flooded wet cel battery…but electrolyte level must be maintained and kept properly charged.
Get the biggest you can handle.

Deep cycle AGM batteries are about as good as it gets…until the next technology is available.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Planeguy »

I am stuck in the house so here are some thoughts on some of what I have read in this thread and hopefully there will be a few pearls of wisdom in these ramblings that can be sorted out and put to good use...

Any time someone claims a particular battery make is crap without offering any specifics I have to wonder what condition the charging system is in. Is the battery actually sized proper to the application? Is it being charged with the proper voltage? Allowing a battery to sit partially discharged is hard on a battery. Allowing a battery to die is hard on a battery. Jump starting a dead battery and charging with the alternator is EXTREMELY hard on a battery even though many of us do it because it takes too long to do it right (when was the last time you charged a battery using the "boost" option on your charger? same thing). Improper charging technique can drastically shorten the life of a battery (thank God for good automatic chargers). If the battery can be serviced, then they only last as long as they are properly serviced. Adding anything besides distilled water to a lead acid battery after the battery has been put in service shortens the life of a battery. Poor connections can be a factor. I see a lot of battery failures and nearly every one of them on a battery with less than 3 years of use can be traced to one or more of the items I just listed. It has also been my experience that once a battery hits the end of it's warranty it is almost guaranteed to fail when you need it most with very little warning, especially if you have a vehicle that normally starts right up. You will likely notice a decrease in cranking performance on a vehicle that needs to be cranked a while before the battery actually fails.

AGM batteries can be more tolerant to some of these things than standard lead acid batteries but they still need to be treated right if they are to last. I run AGM batteries in my bass boat and, like many bass boat owners, I keep my boat plugged in when not in use to keep the batteries topped. I consider that a good thing to do on anything that doesn't get used regularly and have yet to have a battery fail prematurely on anything following that practice.

If weight is a concern, look at the specs between the brands. I learned yesterday the Optima blue top (marine battery) is ~4 lbs heavier than an Odyssey of similar rating. Not a lot of weight but if you are thinking about running 2 batteries then it adds up. I used to run a Jeep all over the Arizona desert (pre-cell phone days). A lot of people thought I was crazy because I would run those trails alone with no second battery (or a few other extras they thought I should have). I got stuck once and couldn't get out on my own and I broke a pitman arm once. I started carrying a come-a-long and hi-lift jack to help me if I got stuck again but I never resorted to carrying a spare pitman arm. I DID carry a spare piece of clutch linkage because I had that fail twice within one year but never out on the trail, only in Tucson traffic. What is going to fail when you get out there? What makes the battery any more likely to fail than the alternator, starter, throttle linkage, steering linkage, prop or piston? My boss likes to overload my support truck with parts that have failed before so we can fix the plane in the field rather than haul parts or ferry the aircraft home to fix. Even so, it is very rare we have what we need on the truck when the aircraft breaks. I am not saying a person should not carry spares but it is hard to know where to draw the line. I am always giving my boss a hard time about all the crap in the truck so couple of years ago when I suffered a prop failure and he had to bring me a prop and the tools to change it, I asked him how he wanted to mount spare props in the truck.... that was probably the dirtiest look I have ever gotten from him but I have little doubt he would do it if it was feasible to do so.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

After all is said and done the batteries and charging system on any vehicle may the most overlooked of all. They're expected to work every time without failure, and if they don't it's easy to start blaming the name on the case instead of yourself for lack of maintenance.

I don't know much about this subject except that I do know that if you run dual batteries you should never run your Perko on 'both' instead of isolating one battery at a time when running/charging. Doing that will fry your alternator in a heartbeat. I always started and ran on one, and then on the return trip I'd switch to the other. Good ol' Interstates always worked for me.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick »

OPTIMA battery on my deck over. AL uses them because he through bolts them in the lower 4 corners. First time using this brand so far so good.

BackwaterBill
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BackwaterBill »

I know that you are all here for mutual gratification but I do want to take a chance to thank you all for sharing your excellent input, thoughts and observations! It will definitely help me at some point to have read all of your thoughts and your wealth of knowledge!!

Is there a section of this forum where I can tap into experiences others have had with the VW engines / prop combo's for this make and model of airboat? I am very familiar with VW engines having built 3 sand rails from scratch but have zero experience once you add a prop to the combo! ;) ;)

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

BackwaterBill wrote:Is there a section of this forum where I can tap into experiences others have had with the VW engines / prop combo's for this make and model of airboat? I am very familiar with VW engines having built 3 sand rails from scratch but have zero experience once you add a prop to the combo!
There is a wealth of information on previous attempts at using VW power ..... all of it under the 'search' feature above.

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rollbar1 »

P.S. Since I was a kid and still to this date I run Deep Cycle marine batteries in all my Jeeps and cars. I use them in my boats and I buy them from WalMart. Never had a problem. Never needed the new newfangled Optima or, I just run WalMart deep cycles and ride. Pretty good cost savings as well-They work.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Rollbar1 wrote:P.S. Since I was a kid and still to this date I run Deep Cycle marine batteries in all my Jeeps and cars. I use them in my boats and I buy them from WalMart. Never had a problem. Never needed the new newfangled Optima or, I just run WalMart deep cycles and ride. Pretty good cost savings as well-They work.
I liked your common sense response, and your Avatar. Any background in fighter jets?

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rollbar1 »

Olf Art wrote:
Rollbar1 wrote:P.S. Since I was a kid and still to this date I run Deep Cycle marine batteries in all my Jeeps and cars. I use them in my boats and I buy them from WalMart. Never had a problem. Never needed the new newfangled Optima or, I just run WalMart deep cycles and ride. Pretty good cost savings as well-They work.
I liked your common sense response, and your Avatar. Any background in fighter jets?
Well thank you. Just a thought, how long have ocean fishing boats used regular WalMart/K-Mart etc deep cycle batteries and made it back home, always cranked etc. Back in the day we didn't have the new batteries etc. And think about this, no shocks on a boat, no suspension etc and they took beating. I laugh at the 4x4 world sometimes bout their new red tops etc and how great they are. We have read how hard they are to charge etc. My ole Jeeps and ole tow straps have pulled more stuff out of the mud then most people and their modern winches. One guy bought a new red top battery/Optima and it died on his first pull-he used it to much. So they say, get these new ones, and Gell batteries etc for the shock. I say, go to WalMart, get a good 700cca deep cycle battery and run it, plus with LED's they won't discharge that much. If I can run my trolling motor pushing 300lbs in my Kayak all day (yes it beats paddling) then it's good enough for me. When not in use, put a tender on it. I use to run lights etc and jump people all the time w/my Jeep and no problem, plus, there is usually a WalMart around every corner. I'll stick to my 65-80 dollar battery and not spend 200 on one if memory servers. Just a plain ole guy I guess. And as for the Jets, that will just be classified for now on a open source forum. Yes the avatar is sweet, I like it to.
Thank you, :fishing :proud: :usa: :florida: :rebel:

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

Rollbar1 wrote:I'll stick to my 65-80 dollar battery and not spend 200 on one if memory servers. Just a plain ole guy I guess. And as for the Jets, that will just be classified for now on a open source forum. Yes the avatar is sweet, I like it to.
Thank you, :fishing :proud: :usa: :florida: :rebel:
I used to love to stand next to the active at Da Nang in the evening back in '67 when the F-4s were taking off in pairs on their evening sorties. Two big beautiful blue blowtorches burning their way into the evening sky. :glasses7:

As an aside, my old golf cart will soon need new batteries. Right now it has six 8 volt batteries at a probable cost of around $900 bucks to replace. When I redo it, it's gonna get four 12 volt batteries at half that price.

Return to “Airboat Tech”