Are AGM batteries suitable for airboats? If so, which ones?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Are AGM batteries suitable for airboats? If so, which o

Post by Rollbar1 »

Olf Art wrote:I used to love to stand next to the active at Da Nang in the evening back in '67 when the F-4s were taking off in pairs on their evening sorties. Two big beautiful blue blowtorches burning their way into the evening sky. :glasses7:
:cheers: :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
As an aside, my old golf cart will soon need new batteries. Right now it has six 8 volt batteries at a probable cost of around $900 bucks to replace. When I redo it, it's gonna get four 12 volt batteries at half that price.
Yes, I would toss a couple deep cycle batteries in it and run that cart at 1/2 price etc. :thumbleft:

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

i have run wal mart batteries for years. especially when my airboat has dual batteries.

i got a fancy agm battery in the gpu boat. i sink it every now and then and don't want it filling up with swamp water. lol

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rollbar1 »

jopete wrote:i have run wal mart batteries for years. especially when my airboat has dual batteries.

i got a fancy agm battery in the gpu boat. i sink it every now and then and don't want it filling up with swamp water. lol
Question, doesn't all, or most all batteries have a breather vent :?: :scratch:

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art »

[quote="Rollbar1"][/quote]
Rollbar, I may be the only helo pilot you've ever heard of who's been to Martin-Baker ejection seat school! True story, over a couple beers sometime. :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rollbar1 »

Olf Art wrote:
Rollbar1 wrote:
Rollbar, I may be the only helo pilot you've ever heard of who's been to Martin-Baker ejection seat school! True story, over a couple beers sometime. :)
:shock: :toothy7: :banghead: :slap: :bounce: :cheers: :salute: :old_glory:

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

Rollbar1 wrote:
jopete wrote:i have run wal mart batteries for years. especially when my airboat has dual batteries.

i don't know. you are suppossed to be able to mount the battery in any position, so i figured it was sealed.

hadn't had to find out yet!! lol

Rollbar1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rollbar1 »

jopete wrote:
Rollbar1 wrote:

i don't know. you are suppossed to be able to mount the battery in any position, so i figured it was sealed.

hadn't had to find out yet!! lol
Found this:
The batteries do not have to be in a box but if they are, they should be vented as per ABYC recommendations. AGM's are SVR (sealed valve regulated) batteries.

A vent system or other means shall be provided to permit the discharge from the boat of hydrogen gas released by the battery.

Battery boxes, whose cover forms a pocket over the battery, shall be vented at the uppermost portion of the cover.

NOTE TO 10.7.9 and 10.7.10: These requirements also apply to installations of all batteries whether they employ removable vent caps, non-removable caps, are “sealed” or “maintenance free” batteries, or have pressure regulated valve vent systems with immobilized electrolyte (gel batteries).

Location of Batteries and Battery Charger (see ABYC E-10, Storage Batteries). Consideration should be given to the following:

- Adequate ventilation should be provided to the bank of batteries to limit the temperature rise during the charging. Sealed valve regulator batteries do allow escape of hydrogen gasses during overcharging; therefore, SVR batteries require the same precautions for ventilation as wet (flooded) batteries. During the charging process, fully enclosed battery boxes will result in a greater temperature rise than with an open battery box.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2005- ... -15-10.pdf

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

well 1 wont be able to test the batteries on gator hunting i was denied.

EastBay
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Are AGM batteries suitable for airboats? If so, which ones?

Post by EastBay »

Hi,
Just got a airboat built by GTO...at "sea trial" they said to run the battery switch at "All". Is this the normal or should I run it on one then the other?
Just a newbie here.....trying to figure it all out>
Appreciate any comments.
EastBAy

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by unforgiven11B »

Personally I never run my boat on All unless I have used both batteries. I alternate between 1-2 between shut downs as to always have a fully charged cranking battery to get me home or to jump another’s boat/truck. Or I run on one battery one day and switch to 2 the next.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Run it on a single battery. If needed you can start on both and then switch to a single. Just don't turn the switch to off with the engine running it can spike the voltage. The charging system is best suited to work with a single battery.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

Anytime you turn that switch if is momentarily off. You should only turn it while engine is off. If I had two batteries I would run one going and the other returning.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Gary S wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:36 am
Anytime you turn that switch if is momentarily off. You should only turn it while engine is off. If I had two batteries I would run one going and the other returning.
This is not correct. You can switch between battery 1, all or 2 with the engine running, the switch does not go through off when switching between these positions. Just do not switch to off (as said earlier) or it can damage the voltage regulator. So, from the "Learned that the hard way" file, I will only switch from "All" to the "2" position when the engine is running, I have accidentally switched to "off" when aiming for "1" but turned too hard.

Also, never leave the boat stored for an extended period with the switch in the "All" position unless you have a charger connected. Two batteries in parallel (switch in the "All" position) will drain each other over time. If it happens overnight at least one battery needs to be replaced.

Back to the original question on the thread, I use AGM in all my toys, they take a beating and last for years. Cheap batteries cost more long term.

I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Return to “Airboat Tech”