HOW TO INSTALL UHMW POLY

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
whiteriverrambo
Southern Airboat Member

HOW TO INSTALL UHMW POLY

Post by whiteriverrambo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:01 pm

I really struggled when looking for knowledge on "how to install poly" on my boat. and when I did talk to a few people most where scared to death I was going to poly a V bottom boat. with your help I wanted to start this thread and let our knowledge be "the final word" for the next guy who attempts to do poly on his own.

here is a video of my poly installation. I am building a jet boat from scratch and want to take it everywhere even when the rivers get low. I used the "drill/tap/bolt" method but there are many ways you can do it. using rivets or even screws if you have a fiberglass boat. please share you poly experience with the world here.........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfStfQqIOe8

whiteriverrambo
Southern Airboat Member

Re: HOW TO INSTALL UHMW POLY

Post by whiteriverrambo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:15 pm

..........guess I don't fully understand how to embed a video??? :roll:

anyway.......... I used 1/4-20 combination drill/tap bits in a driver/impact and a micro countersink with a 1/2" x 82 degree bit. then installed 1" long 318SS bolts and backed them with 1/4" bonded SS washers and 1/4" brass nyloc nuts to prevent seizing. the bonded washers are very important as they are the most important part of keep the inside dry. be mindful of the "grow rate", poly will grow a lot in the sun. if there is a contour you need to stretch around do so when its very hot then allow the poly to cool in the shade and contract before installing the rest of the hardware this will keep you poly very tight. keep in mind that the bottom is only going to be this hot during install. once you flip the boat back over it should be in the shade for the rest of the life of the poly and stay drawn tight and cool. best tip is work from the keel out and don't drill more than 2 holes ahead of the guy installing hardware. if he draws down a bubble and you have a bunch of holes drilled they may not line up anymore.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:00 pm

whiteriverrambo wrote:..........guess I don't fully understand how to embed a video??? :roll:
Paste everything right of the = sign then enclose with youtube operator. For instance, for your video you would paste lfStfQqIOe8 highlight it then click on youtube above.

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

whiteriverrambo
Southern Airboat Member

Post by whiteriverrambo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:11 pm

digginfool wrote:
whiteriverrambo wrote:..........guess I don't fully understand how to embed a video??? :roll:
Paste everything right of the = sign then enclose with youtube operator. For instance, for your video you would paste lfStfQqIOe8 highlight it then click on youtube above.
Thank you sir, I was highlighting the who address.

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bdriller » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:25 pm

You have to get it hotter during install than it will ever be again the rest of its life, otherwise it will grow!!

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:16 pm

That's easy in fl I swear it grew over 6 inches and was burning hot to hot to touch. I can say I sucked up to that hull like a glove when I did my poly.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:44 am

:lol: There is no question that I agree with that . . .

Seems like this has been the best summer on record yet for installing polymer. :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Moritz
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Moritz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:55 pm

If you use stainless steel or stain with brass nut the holes are going to Crode out badly do to galvanic crosion
Use with 3/16 or 1/4 in al rivet or 1/4 20 aluminum bolts and nuts. When you have to put new poly on you will not have weld up all the old holes. I know this works as I have redone the bottom on one boat 3 time and the other boat one time

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:02 am

Always,,,,, ALWAYS have it in direct sunlight, riveting it is best and lightest application, yes it may take two different days of same weather but it is best.
I never finish anyth,,,.

whiteriverrambo
Southern Airboat Member

Post by whiteriverrambo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:10 pm

Moritz wrote:If you use stainless steel or stain with brass nut the holes are going to Crode out badly do to galvanic crosion
Use with 3/16 or 1/4 in al rivet or 1/4 20 aluminum bolts and nuts. When you have to put new poly on you will not have weld up all the old holes. I know this works as I have redone the bottom on one boat 3 time and the other boat one time
in the application I used the only place the SS was touching the aluminum is in the inside of the hole that's threaded. the head and nut are separated from the hull by the poly and the bonded washers. I do agree with you argument but dissimilar metals will take quite a while to cause a issue in a fresh water boat.

Moritz
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Moritz » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:43 pm

You still get it between the bolt body and the hole. Fresh water it is not as fast but it still happens. Might help putting a nylon washer between S&S washer and the hull. When you the two metal that are dissimilar one is the sacrificial (this case the al) the other is protected( ss nut and bolt.

Return to “Airboat Tech”